Taking MCAT in August and applying the same year/cycle...how bad is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocket3004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know it's obviously not ideal, but is it really THAT bad? I feel like it worse and worse of an idea the more I think about it.

Also for people doing it, is there any real advantage in submitting your AMCAS super early (like already have submitted by now), apart from getting a head start on secondaries? Do you still have a legit. chance at being competitive at top schools?

Please someone give people doing so some reassurance (or at least don't scare those people too much) :D :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

Who's got the dead horse pictures? C'mon, where are they?

EDIT: OP. Sigh. There are a lot of schools of thought on this one. Here is what I personally was told--it is BEST to take the April MCAT, complete Primary in June, work on secondaries through June/July/early August and be file complete (secondaries, LOR, $ in) at your schools in late July/ through August/early Sept. This would mean that you would be eligible to start getting interviews in Sept/October in the first group, before the kids who take the August MCAT even have their SCORES out and as such, are not considered yet by Adcoms.

Now. There are plenty of people who take the August MCAT and get in. It is just that you need slightly better numbers (more files are at the school, with less interview spots, equals more competition) and the fact that you are working right up to the school's deadlines for submission, which is obviously more stressful.

deadhorse.jpg

u mean like this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in this very boat and so far it isn't leaking :)

Having spoken to several skrewls (Baylor, UTMB, UTSA, Loma Linda, SGU) about this very subject, here's what they said: (paraphrased)

If students taking the August MCAt were disqualifed from matriculating the same year they test, what is the purpose of having an August MCAT?

I said, "thank you for being reasonable!"

The only disadvantage is that you aren't going to get your scores back for perhaps 2 months (which is ridiculous and needs to be changed) so your app will not be on someone's electronic desk during the first go-round.

But, Have no fear, because even though the medical educational world (admins, not prof's or curriculum) has been stuck in the 12th century, they are being forced to see the light and many schools are now using rolling admission, which means, that even though I will miss the Sept/October round, I will be in the November/December/January/February rounds.

Lastly, if medicine were only about school and scores, every doctor would be a PhD in Molecular genetics with a 4.0 from MIT or Stanford. Obviously, it isn't, and the many other things you have to offer the schools will be weighed in the balance along with your scores.

:)

I'm in this boat with the two of you! :) I don't care what people say about this subject. I am very well aware of less spots being open. There was no way for me to take the April MCAT because I had too much stuff going on to study. What would be the point of wasting $210 for a crappy score just to take it again? Once my transcript gets received by AMCAS, I will sent out my application even though I won't have an MCAT score. Maybe the schools will see what I have minus the MCAT and could expedite the application process once they get the scores. Will AMCAS even sent out my app w/o MCAT score? Either way, don't worry too much.

That thing got attacked by a scrunt (or however you spell that grass-wolf-hyena thing in that awful awful movie).

While not speaking from experience (this is my first time in this thing) I think that schools will receive your Amcas app without your score and then wait for your score before proceeding.

Can someone help us out on this who has actual knowledge?

:)

I feel bad for that horse......................

Schools won't consider you until they have a complete file. This includes your MCAT score. I would be surprised to find an exception. Since the MCAT score is such a big part of your app, makes sense.

If you're taking the August MCAT, get verified, check the box that says you're taking the August MCAT, get your secondaries done (from non-screeners), LOR's straightened out and sent, and be in position when your scores do come in.

If you're going to be in the second wave, be in the FIRST bunch of the second wave. :) Go complete as soon as you can. When there are more spots to offer, there is a better shot.

jackieMD2007 said:
Schools won't consider you until they have a complete file. This includes your MCAT score. I would be surprised to find an exception. Since the MCAT score is such a big part of your app, makes sense.

If you're taking the August MCAT, get verified, check the box that says you're taking the August MCAT, get your secondaries done (from non-screeners), LOR's straightened out and sent, and be in position when your scores do come in.

If you're going to be in the second wave, be in the FIRST bunch of the second wave. :) Go complete as soon as you can. When there are more spots to offer, there is a better shot.

Earlier is better but not being early won't kill your chances of admission, it'll just hurt them. I wrote the August 2005 MCAT and I got in to SLU starting next month. HOWEVER, I got in off the waitlist. If I had written the April MCAT and submitted my applications earlier I wouldn't have had a late interview and thus wouldn't have been waitlisted. This would have been a lot easier because then I wouldn't have had to scramble to pull things together before I move to St. Louis. I also might have received more interviews at other schools.

Bottom line: you can get in with an August MCAT. I didn't have EXCEPTIONAL GPA's or MCAT scores (they were decent) and I'm not even American (I'm Canadian). If I could get in then you probably have a very good chance. Just submit your apps early, don't let a late MCAT AND a late app hold you up. You'll likely have more choice over where to go if everything is completed earlier.

This is an interesting point. Congrats on your admission. :hardy: Sorry about Hawaii. That must have been an enormous expense.

Fact: You are competing for fewer spots.

Draw your own conclusions as to how "bad" this situation is. Do people get after taking the August MCAT? Of course! Are your numbers going to be able to compete? You tell us.

donair said:
Earlier is better but not being early won't kill your chances of admission, it'll just hurt them. I wrote the August 2005 MCAT and I got in to SLU starting next month. HOWEVER, I got in off the waitlist. If I had written the April MCAT and submitted my applications earlier I wouldn't have had a late interview and thus wouldn't have been waitlisted. This would have been a lot easier because then I wouldn't have had to scramble to pull things together before I move to St. Louis. I also might have received more interviews at other schools.

Bottom line: you can get in with an August MCAT. I didn't have EXCEPTIONAL GPA's or MCAT scores (they were decent) and I'm not even American (I'm Canadian). If I could get in then you probably have a very good chance. Just submit your apps early, don't let a late MCAT AND a late app hold you up. You'll likely have more choice over where to go if everything is completed earlier.

Thanks for your experience and some very good advice

Just get all your secondaries in very early...even before you get your scores. You should be fine. I'm doing the same thing. I have friends who've had success this way.

Don't worry.