Taking MCAT Senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobotheclown

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Im new to this I gotta question, Im planning to take my MCAT in April of my Senior year, besides having to wait an extra year for interviews/acceptance is anything bad with this idea. I already have plans for the year that I'm waiting. So I would like your thoughts-thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I did the same thing, and it was grrrrrrrrrreat. No problems. In fact, I have heard some people in my class lament that they rushed right on through undergrad and jumped into med school. Of course we're all different and that is fine and dandy for some people, but hey, what you are going to do can work out just fine!!

I'm doing the same thing now. I guess it depends on your situation. What your GPA is, etc.

It seems to me that there are the following options.

1. In your year off - Do one year post-bacc - this helps if you have a low GPA. If you have a high GPA, then this may just be a redundant option for you?

2. Or try to do some sort of internship somewhere - like a research internship. Great if your GPA is high. And try to get paid while you're at it - you can always use the extra cash you save up during this extra year for living costs and such during medical school.

I dont know of any other options myself. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here, sort of. I'm a senior now, and I'll be graduating in the fall, so I'll have a semester/half year to do whatever. I'm applying this coming cycle, taking the April test. Shouldn't be too bad.

would a student be looked down upon by med committees if they were opting to apply the summer after their senior year, rather than the summer after their junior year? Given that one is going for the traditional 4 year long college run?

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT three years after I graduated. I don't regret it for a minute! Take your time...make sure it's your dream...enjoy yourself and do something really intoxicating and thrilling for a year (or more).

i took the mcat april of my senior year...at first i regretted not being able to go straight thru...but now that i'm in the middle of my year off, i'm so glad i did. its great to be able to relax and earn some $ and have some neat work experiences before going back to medschool and being busy forever again. and no, i've heard that medschools may look at you as more mature and a better all-around applicant than someone who applies straight out of undergrad...the year off definitely won't hurt you.

Bobotheclown said:
Hi Im new to this I gotta question, Im planning to take my MCAT in April of my Senior year, besides having to wait an extra year for interviews/acceptance is anything bad with this idea. I already have plans for the year that I'm waiting. So I would like your thoughts-thank you in advance.
You may not be as free to frolic senior year as your friends (at least until MCATs are done), but I think taking a year off is a great idea. Also, I didn't realize this until I went through the process myself, but interviews are also unexpectedly taxing. Travelling and planning travel are time-consuming. It's great to be doing them when you don't have classwork going on at the same time. I see poor children at the interviews who are taking physical chemistry and doing a thesis AND going to a dozen interviews in the same semester. Although some people balance all that just fine, and I admire them, I can't imagine doing that myself.

I think time off is a great idea. You could always work as a RA for a biotech company. Where are you? If you're near one of the hot spots, this will be much easier. You get paid, get research experience, and get exposed to the every-day politics, etc. of the business world that you'll have to deal with eventually. Or, if you don't need funding for some reason, lounge, travel, volunteer, take a class at a junior college for fun . . .
I've heard people say they regret not taking time off, but never the other way around.

I took the MCAT April of my senior year as well. I thought it was a great idea... in fact I delayed going to med school for 2 years. The only thing I hated about taking the april mcat was that all my friends were partying and slacking off, while I was studying 24/7.

Archimedes said:
would a student be looked down upon by med committees if they were opting to apply the summer after their senior year, rather than the summer after their junior year? Given that one is going for the traditional 4 year long college run?
Apparently more than half of applicants have at least one year (a glide year) these days. Not a problem!

I took the MCAT three years after I graduated. I don't regret it for a minute! Take your time...make sure it's your dream...enjoy yourself and do something really intoxicating and thrilling for a year (or more).
H sorry for asking, did you get into med school?