Taking MCAT twice, when to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jzayner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took my MCAT in April and waiting for my scores to come in June but I know I can do so much better even though I don't have my scores yet, if I just put more effort into studying. Anyways anyone know how medical schools deal with the two scores? If I apply before I take my second MCAT will only my first MCAT scores bee seen? And how long would one wait to apply then? I hear so many stories of people applying late and getting screwed, I want to apply as early as possibly but also have my second MCAT be seen. Any input would be great thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school as to how they handle multiple MCAT scores. For Texas schools (except Baylor I think), they take the highest score. I know some other schools who will take an average of all of the scores. And there are some other schools who will take the most recent score. One thing is for sure, you definitely want to show improvement in your second time, which I'm sure you will. A decline would probably hurt your application. Also, I read some posts of ppl on SDL who said that they applied after receiving their Aug scores, and got accepted. But I guess for that you would need to have a strong application. Hope that helps!

jzayner said:
So I took my MCAT in April and waiting for my scores to come in June but I know I can do so much better even though I don't have my scores yet, if I just put more effort into studying. Anyways anyone know how medical schools deal with the two scores? If I apply before I take my second MCAT will only my first MCAT scores bee seen? And how long would one wait to apply then? I hear so many stories of people applying late and getting screwed, I want to apply as early as possibly but also have my second MCAT be seen. Any input would be great thanks.

Apply as early as possible, i.e. June.

If you do poorly on the April MCAT, then they will wait for your August MCAT, but no time is lost.

If you do well on the April MCAT, by the time you know, your application could have already been processing, and there will be an undue delay.

Either way, it doesn't matter how you do on the April MCAT, because schools look at much more than just MCAT scores.

There is absolutely no reason to not apply early this summer.

Thanks for the info. I think I will start filling out my application ASAP. June 16th is taking so long to come around.