Taking med physiology to get ahead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotinhere38

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all..I have recently been accepted to medical school..woo hoo...but I am an older student and I haven't been in school since I fininshed last year. I am currently working a full time job but was wondering if it would be beneficial to take either medical physiology, anatomy or histology next semester at a local university in order to get a head start on the year...any suggestions anyone??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, but graduating a year ago does not make you an 'older' student - I and fellow non-trads my age (starting med school at 24) or older take some offense to that, haha.

Anyway, I don't think you really need anything to 'get ahead', but if you really want to take something, my vote is physiology. By far the most important class in M1 for USMLE and for your medical career.

Don't waste your time. It'll do you no good really. Seriously, don't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The general opinion is going to be don't waste your time.

I'd say, it depends on your background. I had a really weak science background and that made the first semester very difficult.
In retrospect, I would taken a course or done some self study in anatomy.
I'm only saying this because the bio courses I took didn't even cover the most basic stuff. And when I say basic, I mean we never even talked about a nerve. This ended up really screwing me over.

Other than something like that, I wouldn't bother.
Spend time with family, friends, etc.
That time will be hard to come by soon enough.

Don't waste your time. It'll do you no good really. Seriously, don't do it.

I disagree. I took physiology in graduate school and it helped me immensely with my M1 physiology course and my M2 pathophys courses. It was still difficult because the focus was different, but it certainly helped to have seen the material before.

And I agree with the poster who stated that physiology is one of the most important courses for USMLE Step 1, as well as your 3rd and 4th year rotations, and likely for your future career.

I don't think I would take physio, if I were you. Physio at least has some logic to it, which makes it a bright spot in the sea of mindless memorization of info that constitutes much of med school.

So to prep yourself for some of the massive memorization (much of it simply TERMINOLOGY), I would actually vote for something like genetics or anatomy. Genetics would be good if you could take a challenging, up-to-date course (vs one of those general education types of "here's the cell cycle" course). Or if you haven't taken it, biochem, maybe. Others may disagree.

I am still taking my pre-reqs, but have already taken Anatomy and Physiology. Will it be helpful? I am sure it will to a certain extent. I am planning to take advance human anatomy (More in depth than the undergrad course I took) and also Advance Human Physiology.

I really like physiology, so I am sure that taking these courses at least will help with a general overview of physiological principles and get an idea on how to study this subject, same for Anatomy.

So go for it, take Anatomy and physio if you can, it cant really hurt :)

I'm a non-trad who also spent a little bit of time away from school (one year working full time, and the year before that I was just TAing and taking one course per semester). Being out of school for that short of a period of time isn't much at all, and it really doesn't take long to get back into the full-time student mindset.

So, do something you love. Take that vacation you've always wanted to take, or trek across the country. Take an art class. Create some memories--there's plenty of time once you get to medical school to learn what you need to know.

I vote to have fun. But if you want to be poopy then I second and third and fourth the recommendations to take med physiology.

I am actuall 26, i will be 27 when school starts..but it seems physiology would be the best way to go from what everyone else has said...thanks guys..

You don't need to take a physiology class to get ahead. If you're motivated, which I assume you are since you actually want tot get ahead, all you need to do is buy a physiology book and teach it to yourself. No need in spending money on a class to have a professor regurgitate information that you read the night before. :thumbup:

Yeah that sounds even better..I think the book we will be using is Guyton's Physiology next year...