taking more than one year off from med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to take more than one year off from medical school? (e.g. to do both, say, MPH and MBA? or MPH + year of research?)

Members don't see this ad.

If you talk to the dean, they usually allow for time to do this between the 2nd and 3rd years. Most people are signed up in some program when doing this (for instance the MD/MPH or MD/Ph.D. programs). You can apply for these programs after you've already been accepted to the regular MD programs (though a majority of MD/Ph.D.'s will be in the program from the beginning).

Members don't see this ad :)
My school, as an example, has "hard timelines" you must adhere by. For example, I believe you have four years to complete the first two years, so you have two years for repeats, leaves of absences, etc. I think there was a recent scenario where somebody wanted to do something similar to you (wanted to take off extended time to get another graduate degree then return) and he had to petition very hard to get it (not even sure if he succeeded).

Is it possible to take more than one year off from medical school? (e.g. to do both, say, MPH and MBA? or MPH + year of research?)

There are also opportunities to have your residency program pay for you to get an MPH - a good way to save $50,000 worth of loans. There are issues with loan deferment (and the simple fact that interest keeps building on loans for each year you hold on to them). Thus, while it may be possible to take multiple years off of school, it's probably not in your best interest to that unless you have pressing reasons to do so.

Also, what would be the purpose of getting both an MPH and MBA?

There are also opportunities to have your residency program pay for you to get an MPH - a good way to save $50,000 worth of loans. There are issues with loan deferment (and the simple fact that interest keeps building on loans for each year you hold on to them). Thus, while it may be possible to take multiple years off of school, it's probably not in your best interest to that unless you have pressing reasons to do so.

Also, what would be the purpose of getting both an MPH and MBA?

To have a better looking buisness card, Duh.

To have a better looking buisness card, Duh.

I will say I am mighty impressed by one of my profs with 3 doctorate degrees. I like to call him Doctor Doctor Doctor.