Taking OAT in August for 2020 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted989644

Hello! I was curious about whether this is feasible to still be "early" for applications.

My grades are around the low 3s, so they're not completely amazing. However, I do have many years of experience in eye clinics alongside a good recommendation letter from an optometrist. I was thinking about applying to the three California schools since I live in the state.

Alas, I have to do a few things before I could formally apply, but I was curious whether I can take the OAT in August for this coming cycle without it affecting my standing too much. I'm also wondering if retaking the OAT in November would affect my standing as well if I have to redo the exam from August.

I intend to get everything in on time in terms of essays, recommendations and classes. It's just sequestering off time to study and take the OAT is where my question comes into play. Though my grades are kind of borderline, I do have plenty of experience within the eye world and worked in both research and the clinic to gain that experience. I've been out of school for four-ish years, but I kept doing upper-science courses to kind of make up for the lackluster GPA from college me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as it is all processed before November most schools would consider it still early app! Of course that varies depending on the deadline date and also how many students have already claimed a seat.

As long as it is all processed before November most schools would consider it still early app! Of course that varies depending on the deadline date and also how many students have already claimed a seat.

Okay. So I have some additional questions:

-How soon could I sign up for a new OAT if I take it and get a lackluster score?

-My guess these are the dates that are available for the OAT and there is no other testing date available in between or after these ones: Exam Schedule. If I take the OAT in November then and have the rest of my application secure, I would then be considered "early?"

I'm aware that my low 3-ish (more like a 3.2) GPA might sting my application, so I am wondering if this later OAT will affect me overall.

Thanks for replying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little confused on your question in terms of when you want to take the OAT. Do you want to enter optometry school for Fall 2020 or apply during 2020-2021 to enter Fall '21?

To answer one of your questions, there is a 90 day bar on the OAT retake. So if you take the OAT, Aug 1 and do poorly, you wouldn't be able to take it again until October 30 and onward.

I'm a little confused on your question in terms of when you want to take the OAT. Do you want to enter optometry school for Fall 2020 or apply during 2020-2021 to enter Fall '21?

To answer one of your questions, there is a 90 day bar on the OAT retake. So if you take the OAT, Aug 1 and do poorly, you wouldn't be able to take it again until October 30 and onward.

Oh! Sorry...I'm applying during the 2020-2021 year, so the OAT is planned for next year.

So...you can take the OAT whenever you want to pending a testing site? Was this link (Exam Schedule) for a different exam? Sorry that I'm asking these questions. It just seems a bit confusing...

Oh! Sorry...I'm applying during the 2020-2021 year, so the OAT is planned for next year.

So...you can take the OAT whenever you want to pending a testing site? Was this link (Exam Schedule) for a different exam? Sorry that I'm asking these questions. It just seems a bit confusing...

I don't think that exam schedule is the one for the OAT since the OAT is not done in 2 week intervals. The only way I found out about the OAT test dates were by actually signing up for it. It's advised that you don't sign up too far in advanced because, if i remember correctly, there's some type of scheduling protocol. I wouldn't worry too much about test dates because there are plenty. It's not like the MCAT where there's a limited amount of test days. I would register to take the OAT at least 6 weeks in advanced from your desired test date. Ex. if you want to take the OAT at the end of June, sign up at the end of April/ in May to find a date for June.

If you're applying for the 2020-2021 cycle to enter in Fall 2021, I'd recommend taking the OAT in the summer. I took mine in July, shortly after the OptomCAS opened and signed up for the July OAT at the end of May/ in June. If you take your OAT anywhere from May-July, it'll give you enough time to retake in the Fall for early application submission if that's what youre aiming for.