taking pcat without org chem 2 and anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iZodliquify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it going to be difficult to get a good score on the PCAT if I haven't taking Org Chem 2 and Anatomy?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the PCAT does not include anatomy as one of its tested subjects but it does ask physiology questions though!

Nah, Org II isn't necessary. I believe the testmaker's assumption is that you'll have completed (or be taking, at least) Org I, and that will cover pretty much everything you need to know.

definitely go over physiology in a review book if you don't take A&P before your PCAT. although i don't remember having anatomy questions, i had multiple questions about hormones on the biology section when i took my PCAT and was glad I'd taken physio.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I took the PCATs, I've taken Ochem II but not Anatomy. I did fine. I think there were some hormone stuff but if you do well enough in other areas, you should be fine. Also, you can just buy some PCAT review materials and look over topics you've never seen before.

You can do well on the PCAT without taking all of the recommended coursework. However, it hinges on how well you know the other material. For example, there are many students who have taken General Chemistry, so they have seen the concepts, but they purged the material after the exam.

I'm a hardcore advocate of not taking the PCAT until after you've taken all of the classes. However, there are people who have been successful without it. Your performance on the exam is intrinsic upon how well you actually retain the material that you've learned from the classes that you have taken and how well you can traipse through the minefield of questions from which you haven't learned the material. It's definitely possible, but I would never advocate doing that.

My thought process is: Would you take an exam which is rather important to your acceptance to a program without studying for 20% of the material? If the answer is Yes, go for it. If the answer is No, I'd wait until I had finished the classes.

Good luck!