Taking Physics II 3 years after Physics I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starfruit138

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Physics I (calc based) at a university my senior year of high school and got an A (it was a real struggle though, I do not like the material). I'm now a junior in college registered to take Physics II (alg based). Is this doable? Should I be worried? How much of Physics I do I need for Physics II? I don't remember much from Physics I.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Should be fine, especially since you're only taking algebra based physics II. Just recognize that the class might require more study time in order to be successful in it and make sure you are able to recognize when you're struggling and where you can get help, if necessary. It can't hurt to quickly brush up on some physics I knowledge, but if I remember correctly it's the math that's more important than the previous knowledge. Good luck!

I took Physics I (calc based) at a university my senior year of high school and got an A (it was a real struggle though, I do not like the material). I'm now a junior in college registered to take Physics II (alg based). Is this doable? Should I be worried? How much of Physics I do I need for Physics II? I don't remember much from Physics I.

I really don't think you need to know much from Physics I to do well in Physics II. Physics II for me was Electricity/Circuits, Magnets, Optics. Hardly any use of Force, fluid dynamics, etc from Physics I. I may refamiliarize yourself with manipulation of algebraic equations and variables.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your professor should go over the things you need to know from physics I. If he/she doesn't, just ask. Talking to your professor isn't a bad thing.

So calc-based physics II does use some concepts from calc-based physics I since both deal with vector algebra (basic properties, dot products, cross products etc.), vector calculus (curl, divergence, line and surface integrals etc.) and differential equations. The parallels between gravity and electric fields become readily apparent in both calc-based physics courses. There are also parallels between block-spring model and resistor-capacitor-inductor circuits.

However, the relationship between the two physics courses is lost when you're taking algebra-based courses. Given its nature, there is little-to-no calculus involved so you won't be dealing with complicated concepts and equations in physics. At best, the only parallel you will see is probably Coulomb's law and Newton's law of gravitation, but it's incredibly simplistic that just shows how the equations look similar.

So for algebra-based physics II, you don't need to recall concepts from physics I. Just do a lot of practice problems and you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 that I don't think physics 2 had much material drawn from anything learned in physics 1. I know some people who took them out of order for one reason or another.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile