Taking Physics II online at a community college over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kesher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here goes: I absolutely detest Physics. It's hard, boring, and its application is limited in medicine. I know it's on the MCAT, but please bear with me.

I took AP Physics B in high school, so I exempted Physics I at my school. I have to take Physics II for my major and as a pre-med requirement. I'm afraid that I won't do well in the class and that I'll literally die of boredom. I'm pretty sure I had mild depression my junior year of high school because of it.

I'm studying abroad in Spain this summer to work on my Spanish minor. During that time, I was thinking of taking an online Physics II class through my local community college. Not to sound cocky, but I'm confident that I would do well in this class as opposed to a Physics class at my school. I know it looks bad to take community college classes unnecessarily, but do you think it would really look that bad? Also, I have the choice of taking algebra-based or calc-based Physics II. Do you think I should take calc-based to offset the fact that I'm taking the class through a community college?

It's also important to note that this is the only class I plan to take at a community college. I will take both O Chems and all of my other hard science classes at my school.

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that pre-reqs. are required to be taken at an accredited 4-year institution.

Do not take any requirements for medical school at a community college or online. Period.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay.

Consult the MSAR from the AAMC, and look at requirements for schools you would like to apply to. Also check their websites, or even call them.

Some allow CC, very, very few allow online.

Actually, DO NOT do online.

But if one or two at a CC is all you can manage, what can you do.

It's school-dependent. But yes, the majority opinion on SDN is to do it at your 4-year institution. But look at the source.

Also, pre-reqs don't have to be completed by the time you apply. Only by the time you matriculate.

Thus, maybe put it off until a lighter semester, and do it in a classroom at your Uni.

Ok, so I feel like I shouldn't do it through the community college and a lot of you discourage online... I go to UGA and the community college I was considering is Georgia Perimeter College. There is a 4 year college in Georgia called Kennesaw State University. It is not as good as UGA, but it's still a 4 year institution. It also offers online Physics over the summer. Maybe it would be better to do this instead? I know it's best to take Physics at UGA, but I think it's probably better to get an A through KSU online than a B- at UGA. Especially because I have a lot of difficult advanced Biology and Chemistry classes in my near future.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say it's up to you. I'm actually planning on taking some of my pre-reqs at a CC but I'm not worried about it at all because I'll be taking higher level classes at my college as well. You should use the search feature... there are people on here who have talked about getting into med school after having taken their pre-reqs at a CC.

As for online... I would definitely be weary, but technically speaking, unless the CC or college denotes the class as being online (and I don't think most do?) then you could take it online.

I have friends that go to Kenessaw, and they say it's very easy. It'd be a wise decision to take physics there.

Ok, so I feel like I shouldn't do it through the community college and a lot of you discourage online... I go to UGA and the community college I was considering is Georgia Perimeter College. There is a 4 year college in Georgia called Kennesaw State University. It is not as good as UGA, but it's still a 4 year institution. It also offers online Physics over the summer. Maybe it would be better to do this instead? I know it's best to take Physics at UGA, but I think it's probably better to get an A through KSU online than a B- at UGA. Especially because I have a lot of difficult advanced Biology and Chemistry classes in my near future.
More of the schools I looked at accepted CC courses than accepted online courses for prereqs. You'd be much safer taking the class in person, rather than limiting where you can apply by taking it online.

I took Precalc online at CC, and now Calc 1 and 2 at 4-year college and did well in them.
On my transcript, however, there is no mention of the precalc class being taken online. It just states class hours, credits, teachers name and grade I earned.

As long as you can show that you are doing fine in upper levels its good.

But keep in mind that it might be thought of as "gpa booster". Adcoms might think that the only reason you take it there is for the purpose of A, and the easiness of class at CC.

Btw Physics 2 is not boring at all - optics are awesome!!