Taking physics over the summer at Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I take physics over the summer?

• NYU (2 sessions)

• Harvard (7 week session, taking PHYS S-1A and PHYS S-1B concurrently)

Results are only viewable after voting.

blueberrycrumble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to take physics over the summer at Harvard.
Although I would like to take it at cheaper public schools, I live in NYC and CUNYs don't offer physics I and II together. I am also considering taking it at NYU as well.
I saw that Harvard only has a single 7 week session so I would have to take PHYS S-1A and PHYS S-1B concurrently. I really like the fact that I will be done with everything in 7 weeks, but I am also worried that it might be too overwhelming for me. Has anyone taken physics at Harvard over the summer? If so, please share your experiences with me!
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

NYC has better tinder prospects dude, can hook up with so many different biddies if you're decent looking. if you are more for the long con, like you're looking ofr a wifey, then maybe harvard and you can try to meet someone and namedrop that you're at harvard.

academically i dont think either one matters

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I am planning to take physics over the summer at Harvard.
Although I would like to take it at cheaper public schools, I live in NYC and CUNYs don't offer physics I and II together. I am also considering taking it at NYU as well.
I saw that Harvard only has a single 7 week session so I would have to take PHYS S-1A and PHYS S-1B concurrently. I really like the fact that I will be done with everything in 7 weeks, but I am also worried that it might be too overwhelming for me. Has anyone taken physics at Harvard over the summer? If so, please share your experiences with me!
Thank you.

If you're open to taking it somewhere besides Harvard extension, consider Brandeis or tufts. The cost of living will be lower and the academic rigor similar.

Large dogs

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I heard they make it easier for the students. My school doesn't even accept the summer credit. You'll be fine.

Go where the cost of living is cheapest and as for school prestige, honestly just do well in physics I and II and you're set. The idea that getting a B+ in physics at Harvard is so over done in that med schools care about A's! nothing more nothing less. Go where you can learn, do well, and keep your costs down med school is a 300,000 dollar check depending on the school and living expenses.

If you're open to taking it somewhere besides Harvard extension, consider Brandeis or tufts. The cost of living will be lower and the academic rigor similar.

Large dogs
If you dont mind me asking. Why do you seem to always have large dogs at the end of your commentary?:p

Can anyone please answer my question on taking Phys S-1A and Phys S-1B concurrently? I am not really asking about the living cost here.

Can anyone please answer my question on taking Phys S-1A and Phys S-1B concurrently? I am not really asking about the living cost here.
Although I do go to a top 15 university, I know school prestige doesn't matter that much for summer classes - the reason why I originally planned on taking physics at a CUNY.

Ok so we were doing a total review of the situation but if money is no object then I would say do it. If its university physics it will incorporate calculus 1 and some other advanced math so if you think you can handle it then do it. I did it in two semesters and did well but I hate math (not bad at it just dont like it). It all depends on your ability to QUICKLY obtain new material and try to make sense of it because usually accelerated classes the prof is like good luck

Although I do go to a top 15 university, I know school prestige doesn't matter that much for summer classes - the reason why I originally planned on taking physics at a CUNY.

Common thing on SDN everyone goes to a top 20 school........just decide what works for you and go for it

Good Luck

Common thing on SDN everyone goes to a top 20 school........just decide what works for you and go for it

Good Luck
Thanks for the reply. I know that people here are smart but I didn't want people to think that I am some stuck up person who only considers taking classes at schools like Harvard or NYU. I am well aware of how pricey it is.

Last edited:
Harvard summer school is tough. I haven't taken physics but I've done some bio courses. Bring your A game.

I should note - I work full time. If you won't have other commitments you should be fine.

Take Reuckner, if he teaches during the summer. Sweetest man alive.

Also, be prepared to get your butt kicked -- I did all of my pre-reqs at Harvard and it was no joke.

I wouldn't take them at the same time, no. While you're covering different topics between the two semesters, I feel like having taken Phys-1A prior to the second half was helpful. But, you may not have Reuckner, so I don't know if this would be a similar experience with someone else.

I wouldn't take them at the same time, no. While you're covering different topics between the two semesters, I feel like having taken Phys-1A prior to the second half was helpful. But, you may not have Reuckner, so I don't know if this would be a similar experience with someone else.

Do you know anything about Louis Deslauriers and Girma Hailu? They are the ones teaching this summer.

Do you know anything about Louis Deslauriers and Girma Hailu? They are the ones teaching this summer.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the summer instructors -- I was there for two years for the full Fall and Spring semesters. My suggestion is that you find the Havard post-bacc thread because there are TONS of people on there who continually comment on the professors and utility of taking courses over different semesters. It would be a perfect resource for what you're trying to find out.

I think you'll be fine if you take Physics 1A and 1B over the summer concurrently. While there is some info from Physics 1A that would be useful for Physics 1B, there's not much overlap of information. Keep up with the material, do plenty of practice problems, and you should be fine. I found Electromagnetism particularly tough so you may want to do some background studying on that beforehand, but the other topics from Physics 1A and 1B are fine so I don't think you'll be too overwhelmed doing both classes concurrently.