Taking Pre Reqs in the summer considered " easy way out" by adcoms??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gerrybrown82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i heard a rumor and was wondering if taking the pre reqs for med school in the summer is considered "the easy way out" by adcoms......your thoughts please

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you take them. I took two classes per summer since I started college, most of them pre-reqs at my undergrad. It was even more intense than regular 10 week because they were only five week sessions. No one even hinted that I was taking the easy way out.

If you're doing a very hard course at a cc, they might suspect something....

Usually not. Today's adcoms understand that many students do not take the traditional path to medicine, which may lead to the need for summer courses. If the adcom is reasonable, they won't care.

Not to mention, that information would be a little tedious to harvest on every single applicant (even with a computerized application process). This could be my own personal practice, but I never cared that much about those details when reviewing applications. I don't think many of my fellow interviewers cared that much either.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student