Taking prerequisites at a community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahughes97

Reaction score
Hi, I have a friend who is a biology major and psychology minor who believes that she will not graduate on time because she has to take medical school prerequisite classes that are not apart of her major. Can she take those prerequisite classes at a community college and still be considered a competitive medical school applicant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have a friend who is a biology major and psychology minor who believes that she will not graduate on time because she has to take medical school prerequisite classes that are not apart of her major. Can she take those prerequisite classes at a community college and still be considered a competitive medical school applicant?

almost all pre-med required courses are integrated into biology majors.

Reactions: 1 user
almost all pre-med required courses are integrated into biology majors.

That did not answer my question. I’m well aware of this but at my school it is not like that... you have to take biochemistry in order to take all of the pre-med required courses. The only prerequisite in her biology major is general biology 1 & 2. The rest of her major consists of ecology, cell and molecular bio, anatomy and physiology 1 & 2, genetics, a capstone course, research and a some biology electives.

Members don't see this ad :)
If she can't fit them in for whatever, she should probably take them at a 4 year university. Looks much better than taking them at a community college, which is fine before transferring but suspect after

If she can't fit them in for whatever, she should probably take them at a 4 year university. Looks much better than taking them at a community college, which is fine before transferring but suspect after

If she does this she will not be able graduate on time and her financial aid expires after 4 years of undergrad. So she would be screwed either way is what you’re saying? lol

That did not answer my question. I’m well aware of this but at my school it is not like that... you have to take biochemistry in order to take all of the pre-med required courses. The only prerequisite in her biology major is general biology 1 & 2. The rest of her major consists of ecology, cell and molecular bio, anatomy and physiology 1 & 2, genetics, a capstone course, research and a some biology electives.

Every degree has room to take other courses. Tell her to shove them in and buckle down for some tough semesters. We all have them. Taking every pre-medical course at a community college looks like you are avoiding more rigorous courses. Some medical schools directly state they look down upon community college credits.

If she does this she will not be able graduate on time and her financial aid expires after 4 years of undergrad. So she would be screwed either way is what you’re saying? lol

I mean it's not damning, but it's generally held that taking pre req coursework from 4 year institutions is preferred. Doesn't mean it has to be from a CC. As long as her GPA is fine, it shouldn't be too much of an issue

Last edited:
She can only take 18 credits per semester. If she goes over those 18 credits then she’ll have to pay out of pocket for those classes. She has her honors requirements to fulfill as well so there’s alot of things holding her back from graduating on time while also fulfilling the pre-med required courses.

Can she take the the premed classes at the university and other degree requirements at CC instead?

Can she take the the premed classes at the university and other degree requirements at CC instead?

I asked her this and she claimed that you can’t do that for classes pertaining to your major so irdk

I think your friend is trying to tackle too much academically. Right now she's trying to do:
  • biology major
  • psych minor
  • premed prereqs
  • honors
Based on your description, it seems that one of these has to give. I would say drop either honors or the psych minor, and just concentrate on getting her major requirements and premed prereqs done. There's no reason why you can't finish a major and premed requirements within 4 years. Almost everyone has managed to do it, even with completely unrelated majors.

Reactions: 1 users
I think your friend is trying to tackle too much academically. Right now she's trying to do:
  • biology major
  • psych minor
  • premed prereqs
  • honors
Based on your description, it seems that one of these has to give. I would say drop either honors or the psych minor, and just concentrate on getting her major requirements and premed prereqs done. There's no reason why you can't finish a major and premed requirements within 4 years. Almost everyone has managed to do it, even with completely unrelated majors.

I told her the same thing! she thinks that medical schools like minors lol but they could careless about your minor tbh