taking semester off before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedprepa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will hopefully have taken all my prerequisites for med school by the fall of junior year of college. Part of me is thinking of taking a gap semester during the spring of junior year off (dropping to either 0 or 6 credit hours) and working full time (clinical hospital work) and studying for the MCAT full time (to be taken in April/May).

Would med schools look unfavorably at doing this or would it not affect the application process/ad com opinions?

I'd really like to get more clinical experience in the hospital, not have to pay so much college tuition for a semester, and have more time to focus on the MCAT and not other classes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it'll be fine as long as you stay on track to graduate and gain meaningful experiences. I would also explain your situation in your application, PS, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I will hopefully have taken all my prerequisites for med school by the fall of junior year of college. Part of me is thinking of taking a gap semester during the spring of junior year off (dropping to either 0 or 6 credit hours) and working full time (clinical hospital work) and studying for the MCAT full time (to be taken in April/May).

Would med schools look unfavorably at doing this or would it not affect the application process/ad com opinions?

I'd really like to get more clinical experience in the hospital, not have to pay so much college tuition for a semester, and have more time to focus on the MCAT and not other classes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
It will be apparent from your application that you stayed busy. I don't see a problem from an adcomm perspective. Would your college give you a hard time?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It will be apparent from your application that you stayed busy. I don't see a problem from an adcomm perspective. Would your college would give you a hard time?
My college would be fine with it, as students are allowed to drop to 0 or 6 hours. I just hope that it wouldn't be frowned upon to do so by adcoms.