taking some pre-reqs at a CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mokhoras

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wouldn't hesitate to take the courses at a CC, especially if you already have a graduate degree. Scheduling courses is difficult, and in my experience, some universities have way fewer chemistry offerings than the local CC, especially if you're trying to sign up for night courses.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to take the courses at a CC, especially if you already have a graduate degree. Scheduling courses is difficult, and in my experience, some universities have way fewer chemistry offerings than the local CC, especially if you're trying to sign up for night courses.

:thumbup:

I'd also check to make sure that your school of choice will accept the specific courses you're going to take at CC. There are a couple I can think of that require specific 300 level classes (was it A&P?), and few CCs offer upper level classes. Most I've looked at, though, this isn't a concern.

I know that Oregon State University requires all your science courses to be taken at a 4 year university.

I was in the same boat you were in: was in my last semester of grad school when I decided to go on to pharmacy school. I am not sure whether getting classes at a 4 year university would be more or less competitive than getting classes at a CC. I just know that if you intend on taking biochemistry, then you have to take that at a 4-year university.

Because I was scheduled to graduate from grad school at the end of my last semester, I knew I had missed my chance to take courses at the grad school I was attending. But doing them at a CC wasn't that bad at all. The good side is that it's cheap, the level of teaching is pretty much the same as at a 4-year university, and you get to meet a lot of students who are in the same situation as you so you don't feel like the odd man/woman out. The only downside is that because you have a bachelor's and master's degree, you'll get crappy registration and courses times (i.e. last priority) for the first few semesters.