Taking Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an MS-3 wanting to go back to CA for residency in IM. When should I take the Step 2? My step I is >235 and I have a few honors (including medicine) for third year grades. I have research as well (yeah, who doesn't?).

I'm hoping to go to a UCLA affiliated program or a UCSD affiliation or even Stanford/UCSF.

Any advice? I know these big powerhouse programs like UCSF and Stanford aren't easy to come by.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah it's a trick question since I'm such a troll.:rolleyes:

Geez, no...it's an honest question. Reading the forums, it seems like a lot of people do take the Step 2 prior to interviewing - and it seems that the good residencies which are competitive to enter (most of the CA programs) may be increased competition.

Real advice is appreciated...at least try really hard to refrain from your inane assumptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
You answered your own question about taking step II...even a monkey would know that you should make yourself as competitive as you can for the good programs....

There's no right answer for this question. Basically, it's a calculated risk in my mind. An excellent Step 2 score will only help you, but there is no guarantee that you will get that excellent score. Most people do improve on Step 2. Even if you do have an excellent Step 2 score, I get the feeling that most residency programs put more emphasis on Step 1 scores for whatever reason. I guess my advice would depend on the type of program you want to attend. If you really want UCSF and/or Stanford, take Step 2 early and try to get the best score possible. There's always a risk you won't get that excellent score and it may or may not hurt your overall chances, but you'll never know if you don't try.

I am not sure that it makes sense to take StepII early. I had a good though not amazing stepI (240s). I still haven't taken my StepII and am in the process of applying right now. I got interviews everywhere I applied, only 1/14 interviews asked me about stepII (it told them I would take it in Jan) and I have gotten a lot of love from the programs you are looking at including one "ranked to match" email from a program you are considering among your reach programs. The way I looked at it was that it could probably help but might hurt me. Definetly don't take it so early that it is automatically released. Your step1 is good enough that you won't be screened out for it anywhere in the country. I would guess the interviews and what you have already done should carry you the rest of the way. If you want to do something early, do your AI early and get amazing evals/LOR. good luck!

reallyanon,

did you really get a ranked to match email from stanford? i heard they do not do that, but that skeff plays by the book. just curious.... thx

reallyanon,

did you really get a ranked to match email from stanford? i heard they do not do that, but that skeff plays by the book. just curious.... thx

How do you know anon didn't mean UCSF?

i appreciate the good advice...as an MS-3 with many MS-4 friends, needless to say they spread the anxiety.

chicamedica, be nice to the med students, you were one a few years ago...no need to be all sarcastic! be happy =)