Taking Summer Gen Chem at CC vs 4 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I've heard mixed opinions about CC for taking science pre reqs, and I'm in a situation where I need to take Gen Chem 2 this upcoming summer so I can do Orgo at my University in the Fall. I was wondering if it's fine if I take it at my local CC (which is top 5 in my state I'm pretty sure) or should I take it at a 4 year near me which will be a bit more expensive and inconvenient. I can't take it at the 4 year I attend because it's pretty far from home.

Will it look like I'm taking the easy way out? I got an A in Gen Chem 1 and all of my science pre reqs at a harder University so I'm honestly not dodging anything. I could probably take Gen Chem 2 at my Uni and get an A but I ideally want to take it over summer so I can take Orgo next year and take the DAT summer after my Sophomore year. Any thoughts? Is the 4 year (still lower rated than the University I attend but higher than CC) better than the CC or should I just take it at a CC and not worry about it?

Members don't see this ad.

You're thinking about this too hard. Take it wherever you want that is the most convenient. All you have to do is double check if the dental school you want to go to allows the credit from a CC. Stop worrying about top 5 top 10 BS.

Reactions: 2 users
it would probably be safer to take it at the uni near you, even if its not your uni. some schools don't accept CC credit, and you might decide you'll want to apply somewhere later on

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm post-bacc with a BA and taking all of my science prereqs at CC. I can honestly tell you that I feel I'm getting a better education with the low student-teacher ratio (vs giant lecture halls) and the material is not any less intense than what I experienced at 4-year Univ and also compared to friends. I took the ACS General Chemistry final exam and made the 96th national percentile! That stat doesn't discriminate, so I did perfectly fine when stacked against every Gen Chem student in the nation.

I posted a list of dental schools who will and won't accept CC credits, there's very few that won't so don't sweat it so much. If you're worried, ask your prof to take the ACS final for Gen Chem II and get your national percentile. Maybe even ask them to write one of your LOR so they can mention it for you. That's actually what I did.

There is sadly some people who hold a stigma and bias against CC simply because they never experienced it themselves, having attended ivy league their entire career. However, my pre-health club at my CC is proudly hosting the largest Health Professions Conference in the state of California on 5/4 (larger than any university puts on), and our keynote speaker is Dr. Richard Carmona serving as the 17th Surgeon General of the US, and his presentation is planned to talk to all of us about how he started his career as a community college graduate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You know what guys? I'm kinda stuck here. I've been looking around to all colleges around me, CC and Uni and NONE of them offer Chem at all over the summer! I'm in the Chicago suburbs btw, do any of you have any suggestions? I'm kind of stunned at this point.

You know what guys? I'm kinda stuck here. I've been looking around to all colleges around me, CC and Uni and NONE of them offer Chem at all over the summer! I'm in the Chicago suburbs btw, do any of you have any suggestions? I'm kind of stunned at this point.
if you don't mind traveling to a different state for the summer, you could probably find a school one state over that offers the classes. plus people will be subleasing for the summer, so you may be able to find a place for cheap.

if you don't mind traveling to a different state for the summer, you could probably find a school one state over that offers the classes. plus people will be subleasing for the summer, so you may be able to find a place for cheap.
Unfortunately that's not an option for me. I'm looking to take the course online from my University, I just saw they had it. It might be my best bet. I heard taking pre-reqs online is frowned upon though, so that concerns me.

Unfortunately that's not an option for me. I'm looking to take the course online from my University, I just saw they had it. It might be my best bet. I heard taking pre-reqs online is frowned upon though, so that concerns me.
then your best bet would be to call the schools you want to apply to and see what their stance is for online prereqs. I've never seen any of them mention anything about online courses on their websites, so it would be best to directly call them.

then your best bet would be to call the schools you want to apply to and see what their stance is for online prereqs. I've never seen any of them mention anything about online courses on their websites, so it would be best to directly call them.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. But honestly, at this point I don't really have a choice. I don't think schools should mind if I take 1 online class, especially if they don't even mention it on their websites.