Taking the DAT on July 2014 Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlvaDentistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my Dear Future Dentists,

I am also studying for the DAT. Lets support each other and answer the following questions:

1. How are you feeling?
2. For how long have you studied/do you plan to study for?
3. Weakest area/areas.
4. Materials that you are using.
5. Things that have helped you on the way.
6. Any additional info you might have. For instance anyone you know who has taken the DAT recently and have tips, motivational stories etc...

Add more questions if you have!

I wish you all the best and a "stress-free" time before the DAT (it seems impossible huh?)

:woot:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll post a breakdown if you guys want, but it won't be for a few days because I have a ton of stuff to catch up on. :p
PAT 24, QR 20, RC 21, Bio 19, GC 21, OC 24, TS 20, AA 21

Bio was definitely super random, kinda disappointed with how I did but I thought I did even worse. Gen chem was surprising too, unfortunately not many calculations. Organic was eaaaasssyyy peaaasssyyy - Chad is definitely enough. Reading was WAY easier. QR was okay, there were a few more complicated ones that I didn't encounter in Math Destroyer so I guess I got those wrong. PAT was fine too, got a few keyhole rocks, TFE was slightly easier than Bootcamp, angles were easier, HOLE PUNCHING was funky!! I always got 15/15 on Bootcamp but there were a few weird ones on the real test. Cube counting was simple.
I was really hoping for higher scores, but I'm definitely satisfied. It's not as bad as you guys think, you just have to study efficiently and stay confident!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll post a breakdown if you guys want, but it won't be for a few days because I have a ton of stuff to catch up on. :p

Bio was definitely super random, kinda disappointed with how I did but I thought I did even worse. Gen chem was surprising too, unfortunately not many calculations. Organic was eaaaasssyyy peaaasssyyy - Chad is definitely enough. Reading was WAY easier. QR was okay, there were a few more complicated ones that I didn't encounter in Math Destroyer so I guess I got those wrong. PAT was fine too, got a few keyhole rocks, TFE was slightly easier than Bootcamp, angles were easier, HOLE PUNCHING was funky!! I always got 15/15 on Bootcamp but there were a few weird ones on the real test. Cube counting was simple.
I was really hoping for higher scores, but I'm definitely satisfied. It's not as bad as you guys think, you just have to study efficiently and stay confident!

I am indeed happy for you, just before your post I was upset that I was not fully understanding a concept from chads ochem.

But when I read your post, I felt better....

It was a nice little dat breakdown but with some enlightenment.

@TheDanger Were your Bootcamp scores close to your actual ones? My BC scores are so inconsistent that I really don't know how I'm doing at this point lol. My OC/QR scores are basically alternating between 28/29 and 19/20. For PAT, I seem to be getting worse at...First 3 tests I averaged around a 22/23 now I am lucky to break 20.

Thanks @shaidester, ditto!! It's such a relief to be on this end lol good luck this cycle. :)

@theEuglena: I didn't have a set schedule with Bootcamp tests, I took them sporadically, usually before reviewing my notes. Here are my scores:
Bio 18/17/17/18/15 (I did these before I reviewed my Cliff's notes, although they're pretty close to my real score)
Chem 22/18/20/21
Ochem 17/18/27/21
PAT 20/23
RC 21

For PAT I felt more comfortable just doing random questions for the subject specific tests.
Keyholes ranged from 8/15 to 13/15, I'd say I averaged around 10-11/15 though
TFE average was around 10/15
Angles- 11/15
Hole Punch- 15/15
Cube Counting 12/15
Pattern Folding 14/15

Just like @AlvaDentistry has said a bunch of times, don't pay attention to the scores you're getting! As long as they're >17, don't worry about them. It can really kill your confidence or give you false hope, both of which are bad. The point is to just keep reviewing what you get wrong and therefore make progress.

Nice man! I took mine today and got 20 for both TS and AA. I taught high school bio and I had some really specific questions. I was hoping to get stuff on plants and animals but NOTHING.

Nice man! I took mine today and got 20 for both TS and AA. I taught high school bio and I had some really specific questions. I was hoping to get stuff on plants and animals but NOTHING.
I'm a girl ;) but thanks! I don't even remember my specific questions - it's all a blur now haha. I was hoping for some physio/taxonomy but I didn't get any of that. I was surprised at how a lot of the stuff I was expecting didn't show up. Just relieved it's finally over though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a girl ;) but thanks! I don't even remember my specific questions - it's all a blur now haha. I was hoping for some physio/taxonomy but I didn't get any of that. I was surprised at how a lot of the stuff I was expecting didn't show up. Just relieved it's finally over though.
Sorry! Well I'm happy for you and I'm happy it's over as well. I don't remember my questions either. I'm just thankful for the SDN community and their help. Best of luck on the interviews!

Sorry! Well I'm happy for you and I'm happy it's over as well. I don't remember my questions either. I'm just thankful for the SDN community and their help. Best of luck on the interviews!
Back at ya! SDN rocks, I can't imagine having to go through this process without such a great resource.

Reactions: 1 user
Guysss good luck!!!!!!!!! It was great having you all here and sharing the stress evenly between all of us.
I hope you all get into your dream schools. Tomorrow is the last day of July and this forum might become part of history :bigtears:
Good luck in dental school and in every single project you have for the future.

:biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
Great job all! Just e-submitted my app today (stalled working on it given my DAT was July 16 and I wanted to focus on the exam... or it was just really an excuse to not do more work than I wanted to during my time studying lol). Took me a good 30 mins just to click "esubmit" (I swear I went back like 100 times to look at if I spelled my name right or something)

Good job everyone, I hope you all the best of luck this cycle :)

dhk, your signature says Columbia 2015, is that where you want to get in?

JULY IS OVER! I hope all of you did great :) looking forward to seeing you at the schools we get into

just took the exam x.x
i got 16 on RC, :( i freaking knew this stupid section would drag me down!!!!got a passage about Justice WTF?!! which was 20 paragraphs long....
the rest of the sections i did alright 23 on PAT 21 on TS and AA 20
but that RC tho ...sigh im so sad

PAT: 23
QR: 22
RC: 26
BIO: 24
GC: 26
OC: 21
TS: 23
AA: 24

Kinda disappointed because I thought I could pull off a 25+. QR was my best section overall...but I was brain dead by the end and couldn't finish the section. My OC section was definitely harder than BC's OC, contrary to what most other people say.

Anyways, I can't justify retaking the DAT so I'll sit with this. Now I gotta decide whether I want to take a year off or stick with NYU dental...

@Kend I am sorry to hear about your RC score :( hopefully your other scores will make up for it, considering they are well above average
@theEuglena COME ON don't tell people you're disappointed! why would you stick with NYU?

Reactions: 1 users
@7amsho I'm in a program here and circumstances have made it so that I can only apply to NYU for this cycle.

Congrats to all! If anybody has any questions feel free to PM me

just took the exam x.x
i got 16 on RC, :( i freaking knew this stupid section would drag me down!!!!got a passage about Justice WTF?!! which was 20 paragraphs long....
the rest of the sections i did alright 23 on PAT 21 on TS and AA 20
but that RC tho ...sigh im so sad
I think you'll be okay.

Nice! Congrats on being done with the DAT :)

And Tobin Heath is like the chillest person ever, definitely approve.

Guys!
For those who took the DAT before July 23rd, have you received your DAT scores? I mean, do they show up in AADSAS? If so, how long did they take?

Sorry I'm not familiar with how to use this website yet so i'm just going to ask my question here. I just finished chads video's gen chem and ochem. I'm a little over half way through cliffs ap bio book and Im only decent on the crack dat pat. I haven't studied any math. My dat is in two weeks. Should I postpone my dat another two or three weeks?

Sorry I'm not familiar with how to use this website yet so i'm just going to ask my question here. I just finished chads video's gen chem and ochem. I'm a little over half way through cliffs ap bio book and Im only decent on the crack dat pat. I haven't studied any math. My dat is in two weeks. Should I postpone my dat another two or three weeks?

Take your time and surf through the dental forum:

3 sections

Predental- everything and anything for us PREDENTS

Dat- only pre- test material related, and ways to help enrich our knowledge for BIO, GC OC,RC PAT QR

Dental- go find out yourself.

Hey, you can do a lot in two weeks. Many have said so themselves which I've read. I believe you can do it in two weeks. Make sure you go through chad's videos at least twice (second time on fast play) and know his quizzes by heart and with understanding. CDP is good but you should try out bootcamp. It kicked my butt but BC is very well worth the money than CDP. Since you already bought CDP finish the rest of CDP this week and start on BC asap and do it twice. They have better explanation from my experience so far.

If you have math destroyer I'd say do two test a day so you can do it again the week before your test and make sure you go through problems thoroughly. Same with practice tests. I'm starting my BC tests now. Good luck man and have faith in yourself. Push yourself and you'll be ready. You'll keep doubting and trying to postpone but just stick with it.

I recommend you to study math (don't leave it for last). Take 2 days per subject and try to do as much as you can. Use the reminding days to review. See how much you do in a week, you are the only one who knows how ready you are my friend. If you feel you have a lot left to cover then postpone it.
GL!

I have a question for those who are applying this cycle. Have your scores been received by your dental school and if so, how long after taking your DAT did it happen? I'm in the August group but I took it on the 4th so I'm hoping my scores get mailed before September. I've literally gotten e-mails from every school I applied to saying my application is on hold until they get the official scores.

I have a question for those who are applying this cycle. Have your scores been received by your dental school and if so, how long after taking your DAT did it happen? I'm in the August group but I took it on the 4th so I'm hoping my scores get mailed before September. I've literally gotten e-mails from every school I applied to saying my application is on hold until they get the official scores.
It takes approximately 14 days for AADSAS to receive your official scores after you take the DAT.

It takes approximately 14 days for AADSAS to receive your official scores after you take the DAT.

Thank you. I called admissions for the school and most of them allowed me to e-mail them a copy of my unofficial score sheet until the actual scores arrive through AADSAS. Hopefully that speeds up the process, even if it's by a little.

Thank you. I called admissions for the school and most of them allowed me to e-mail them a copy of my unofficial score sheet until the actual scores arrive through AADSAS. Hopefully that speeds up the process, even if it's by a little.
Hey toothhurts, did they give you a separate email to attach your unofficial scores or did you just email your schools to their default admission email address?

Most were on the basic admissions e-mail. I attached my AADSAS ID #. I did talk to someone who gave me a different e-mail.

I know I'm a late comer. Made a post on taking it on first page but I'll just accept being the outcast of the July group haha.

PAT: 23 interestingly easy that I slacked off and freaked out and had to chose random answers at the end. Angles were not like BC
QR:18 so happy and lucked out/randomly chose answers; this is why I'm religious; got like 15-16 on BC
RC:20 WTF... this is also why I'm religious; got like 15-18 on BC
Bio:22 got 25-27 on BC but they asked some weird arse questions and I probably needed another day of feralis notes to review but super happy
OC/GC: 22/23 Chad is God's messenger
TS: 22
AA:21

Overall I'm really thankful for a great community and everyone that helped me out. Just want to give a huge shout out to @bamtori @chemkay and @LifeLineBlue for all of your generosity etc. Many other people too but I'm still hungover from last night so can't think.

This site rocks and thank you so very much! Happy to answer anyone's questions if you still haven't taken it yet lol.

Reactions: 1 users