Taking the DAT on July 2014 Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlvaDentistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my Dear Future Dentists,

I am also studying for the DAT. Lets support each other and answer the following questions:

1. How are you feeling?
2. For how long have you studied/do you plan to study for?
3. Weakest area/areas.
4. Materials that you are using.
5. Things that have helped you on the way.
6. Any additional info you might have. For instance anyone you know who has taken the DAT recently and have tips, motivational stories etc...

Add more questions if you have!

I wish you all the best and a "stress-free" time before the DAT (it seems impossible huh?)

:woot:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@7amsho You are awesome! How would you say Chad's quizzes for chem and ochem compare to the DAT? More/less representative than Bootcamp?
Chad's quizzes were really good practice to understand concept!!!! they are pretty similar to the real thing!!! make sure you understand the reasoning behind every question though..

also here is another tip, when I took BC and qVaul, there were a couple areas that I turned out to be weak at, so I went back to Chad's quizzes and understood them after solving them there and reading the solutions

@tooth knockn make sure you understand how to solve everything, not just get the answer! go over the topics that you have always struggled with and watch some youtube videos, make sure you know how to solve every question that you have seen, just to make sure you would lose points only on the new types of questions that you might get on the real thing

im so scared that im going to get squished my the dat like a little bug. It would be a dark place if you know you have done as much as you can to prepare and u dont do well on the dat :(

Hey guys.. I'm planning to push my exam back until second week of August! I've been studying for 2 months but still don't feel prepared. :(

Just took a Bootcamp practice test... 17 Bio, 18 Gchem, 18 Ochem :(:(:(
Don't fret man. Just learn from the mistakes. Finish tests 1-5, write your notes, and then go over them. If you get the same scores the second time, then its time to worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.. I'm planning to push my exam back until second week of August! I've been studying for 2 months but still don't feel prepared. :(
My exam is next week and I feel about the same. I've never studied for an exam where I know there is no chance of getting a perfect score... This whole process has been depressing.

You will never feel prepared. I didnt feel prepared 2 days before the test, but I wanted to be done. So the day before the exam I set up my mind to think that I was ready in spite of any doubt I had. If you want to be close to feel ready you need to study for about 6 months 5 days a week, and you don't want that, none does. The DAT is also about luck... I think anyone who studies 2 months the proper way should be ok for it.

Don't fret man. Just learn from the mistakes. Finish tests 1-5, write your notes, and then go over them. If you get the same scores the second time, then its time to worry.
Thanks for the advice. My gchem is averaging around 21 now, I think I can increase ochem to that as well before Sunday. Not sure about bio though. :wideyed:

Thanks for the advice. My gchem is averaging around 21 now, I think I can increase ochem to that as well before Sunday. Not sure about bio though. :wideyed:
Bio is the toughest one to improve on. Just hope for easy questions lol. Best of luck

Is this your second time taking the bootcamp tests? If so, do you feel you just memorized the answers? Sometimes I feel like perhaps I am doing better because I remember the answer but at the same time, I do know how to solve them out so I dk!

You will never feel prepared. I didnt feel prepared 2 days before the test, but I wanted to be done. So the day before the exam I set up my mind to think that I was ready in spite of any doubt I had. If you want to be close to feel ready you need to study for about 6 months 5 days a week, and you don't want that, none does. The DAT is also about luck... I think anyone who studies 2 months the proper way should be ok for it.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Chad's quizzes were really good practice to understand concept!!!! they are pretty similar to the real thing!!! make sure you understand the reasoning behind every question though..

also here is another tip, when I took BC and qVaul, there were a couple areas that I turned out to be weak at, so I went back to Chad's quizzes and understood them after solving them there and reading the solutions
Thank you. :)

Is this your second time taking the bootcamp tests? If so, do you feel you just memorized the answers? Sometimes I feel like perhaps I am doing better because I remember the answer but at the same time, I do know how to solve them out so I dk!
Actually I took a break and did all of Chad's quizzes. Took tests 3, 4, and 5 for the first time and got 20, 21, and 22! That calmed my nerves a little bit. But I do think that if I do them all a second time around, my grades will be inflated since I will have some of the answers memorized.

Last edited:
In 5 days. :wideyed: For the first round of Bootcamp I got 20 Bio, 22 Gchem, 17 Ochem. Obviously I need to work on organic but I'm confused with the other two! Are the first BC tests of each subject just way easier than the rest?

All the exams are about the same level of difficulty and a little more difficult than the real exam. The way that the exam asks is not exactly like any material but it is very direct and sometimes easier to read than the practice exams. Lets say for biology the questions were small and direct, which was good. The idea is being exposed to a lot of information and know about everything a little bit. It is random, yes, so don't try to memorize specific things, just try to understand while you study the overall concepts/ideas.

For organic chem don't focus so much or weird reactions, try to get the grasp of how everything works, sn1, sn2, where are you going to attack, if the more substituted or less substituted etc...
If you score that on the first round you will be ok (if you keep doing well on the rest or ranging above 18) It is ok to get a lower one from now and then. Remember it is not so representative of the exam, it just helps you to prepare. Since I freaked out about the grades at first I just went with not caring about the scores anymore. So i would do exams and w.e I got it wouldn't affect me. But I knew if i would take them again I would get a 30 because I learned the info.

I thought I was going to get a nicer grade for orgo because I like it and I am good at it. I know every reaction out there, but the test is random like I told you and they have more conceptual questions. I also marked many many questions for all the sections and I couldn't go back... Time is what killed me. For Orgo i got 22. In bootcamp my scores varied. In the first one I got a 23 and I did not practice before taking it. Then it was lower in some other tests, in another I got a 24, but they have a lot of reactions and other things I know well (Chem major) that I did not see in the real exam. I also had a question that I knew how to do but it required several steps/calculations so I skipped it with the idea of going back and do it at the end. At the end I didn't have time to go back in any section. Time flew by.

For gen chem I got a lot of calculations. I didn't get so lucky in my exam, math was insane for me.
PAT was easier than bootcamp, I just did 3 bootcamp PATs and I never got a 20, and I got it in the real exam.

Reading... Easy! Well, English isn't my first language and I never did search and destroy before, I kind of did it in the exam. I read the passage quickly then I read the question and I looked around the paragraphs that talked about that specific topic. Very straight forward and easy readings.
I used crack the PAT and in the first reading I got like a 15, then I went to 17, and I got a 19 in the last one I did and I decided not to keep doing reading because it would stress me out. I thought I couldn't improve much so I did not keep practicing. I did One reading from bootcamp, I got a 17 I believe. The second one I closed it because the reading gave me a headache. In the real one I got a 19 (not great but I wasn't expecting a high one there)

So yeah, try not to worry about the grades you get so much, it is not so representative.
Bootcamp does a good job for the PAT. I think I saw like 2 of them that were exactly the same. Keyhole was easier. Most of the time you had to compare only two of them because the others had nothing to do with the real image. Its not like bootcamp that has little details.

I hope this helps all the people who read it. It is kind of a small breakdown for my beautiful and cheerful group :) Good luck to everyone who is taking it soon. Don't stress out. The time will pass by quick and it will be over super fast. Overall, it is better (EASIER) than any practice test you can take.

Good Luck!
Ciao

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
All the exams are about the same level of difficulty and a little more difficult than the real exam. The way that the exam asks is not exactly like any material but it is very direct and sometimes easier to read than the practice exams. Lets say for biology the questions were small and direct, which was good. The idea is being exposed to a lot of information and know about everything a little bit. It is random, yes, so don't try to memorize specific things, just try to understand while you study the overall concepts/ideas.

For organic chem don't focus so much or weird reactions, try to get the grasp of how everything works, sn1, sn2, where are you going to attack, if the more substituted or less substituted etc...
If you score that on the first round you will be ok (if you keep doing well on the rest or ranging above 18) It is ok to get a lower one from now and then. Remember it is not so representative of the exam, it just helps you to prepare. Since I freaked out about the grades at first I just went with not caring about the scores anymore. So i would do exams and w.e I got it wouldn't affect me. But I knew if i would take them again I would get a 30 because I learned the info.

I thought I was going to get a nicer grade for orgo because I like it and I am good at it. I know every reaction out there, but the test is random like I told you and they have more conceptual questions. I also marked many many questions for all the sections and I couldn't go back... Time is what killed me. For Orgo i got 22. In bootcamp my scores varied. In the first one I got a 23 and I did not practice before taking it. Then it was lower in some other tests, in another I got a 24, but they have a lot of reactions and other things I know well (Chem major) that I did not see in the real exam. I also had a question that I knew how to do but it required several steps/calculations so I skipped it with the idea of going back and do it at the end. At the end I didn't have time to go back in any section. Time flew by.

For gen chem I got a lot of calculations. I didn't get so lucky in my exam, math was insane for me.
PAT was easier than bootcamp, I just did 3 bootcamp PATs and I never got a 20, and I got it in the real exam.

Reading... Easy! Well, English isn't my first language and I never did search and destroy before, I kind of did it in the exam. I read the passage quickly then I read the question and I looked around the paragraphs that talked about that specific topic. Very straight forward and easy readings.
I used crack the PAT and in the first reading I got like a 15, then I went to 17, and I got a 19 in the last one I did and I decided not to keep doing reading because it would stress me out. I thought I couldn't improve much so I did not keep practicing. I did One reading from bootcamp, I got a 17 I believe. The second one I closed it because the reading gave me a headache. In the real one I got a 19 (not great but I wasn't expecting a high one there)

So yeah, try not to worry about the grades you get so much, it is not so representative.
Bootcamp does a good job for the PAT. I think I saw like 2 of them that were exactly the same. Keyhole was easier. Most of the time you had to compare only two of them because the others had nothing to do with the real image. Its not like bootcamp that has little details.

I hope this helps all the people who read it. It is kind of a small breakdown for my beautiful and cheerful group :) Good luck to everyone who is taking it soon. Don't stress out. The time will pass by quick and it will be over super fast. It is also better than any practice test you can take.

Good Luck!
Ciao

Hope this true

Hope this true
What part does not look true? I don't see how anyone would spend time writing that long message to lie (especially when it doesn't say that I got 30's and that I studied only for a week ;)

I haven't done a breakdown but I pretty much said everything here.

I forgot to say that I was expecting to do better in the sciences because I have a good background in science. However, I am not the best when it comes to take exams and I skipped many questions and I didn't have time to go back and do them/ check them. Maybe that is why. So be careful with time. Lets say for bio I did them super fast thinking that I could use that time doing the chemistry and orgo (PLUS I wanted to see all the questions already, you know, that test anxiety). On the other hand, I think about it this way: Ok, I did not do as I planned in the sciences but in math (that was hell in the exam I got) I could survive, and in reading and PAT that I didn't study much for them, i did decent too. This is why I think that everything is relative, and this is one of the reasons why I tell people not to trust the grades they get on practice exams so much because topics vary. Of course if you hit above 20 every time you are likely to do good on the test! But you might get questions on things you did not studied for or you did not learn while studying. Either way, preparing yourself and studying is the way to go. Likewise don't freak out if you get a 16 on the practice exams! I did, I got all kind of scores while practicing.
I believe the exam is doable but it is time what makes it hard. Without a timer we would all get above 25 in all sections.

I also did not practice much with timed exams (a full 4 1/2 hrs), I did one to see how it feels and that was it. I tried to focus on reviewing instead. I don't know if that helped me or if did the opposite since time was kind of going too fast the day of the test (specially for QR).

I got 20 TS 20 AA and 20 PAT.

Attachments

• sc.JPG
    sc.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I am sorry I did not mean " I hope this is true" as in the context of not believing what was stated in your post.

Nice breakdown I like it.

I am sorry I did not mean " I hope this is true" as in the context of not believing what was stated in your post.

Nice breakdown I like it.
Good Luck!
SDN takes a lot of time from you... Try to use your time wisely! I know it is tempting and all we wanna do is read breakdowns!!! lol

SDN has it all
Education
Entertainment
Drama

And suspense

Last edited:
Hey @tooth knockn I live in forest hills and planing to take my exam soon. What are you up to in your studies ?
I would love have a study session if you're up to it

Oh I'm in east flushing.

So cool

:)

I'm studying Orgo using chads and bootcamp.

I'm sched for DAT AUG 13@rego park

And I'm not changing my date no matter what.

If I was a super smart person then yes let's meet up.

But I am not, I'm a 3.15 OVERALL GPA student.

And I really never studied in group before....

Hey @tooth knockn I live in forest hills and planing to take my exam soon. What are you up to in your studies ?
I would love have a study session if you're up to it

What are you studying now?

When are you taking the exam?

Are you excited?!

I am...

Do you have any professional dental experience?

I hope this helps all the people who read it. It is kind of a small breakdown for my beautiful and cheerful group :) Good luck to everyone who is taking it soon. Don't stress out. The time will pass by quick and it will be over super fast. Overall, it is better (EASIER) than any practice test you can take.

Good Luck!
Ciao
Thanks for the mini breakdown! It's easy to get super stressed about this stuff but hearing that other people have conquered it make it seem a little less impossible. I'm hoping the reading is as easy as you say it is - I've only taken one practice test of it because I got a headache as well. :dead:

Took the DAT two days ago! finally home free. Honestly didn't feel like my scores were worthy of a breakdown, may or may not do one eventually.
23 AA / 23 TS / 26 PAT

Like everyone keeps saying, the Bio (22) was definitely a struggle. Feel like no matter how many bootcamp/qvault tests you go through, or how many times you try to memorize feralis notes, you're going to see questions that you've never seen before.. I marked about 10/40 bio questions, narrowed down to two choices, and basically guessed.
GC (22) was do-able, easy calculations, but heavy on the concepts. Know your trends. Got a question on lab safety.... ugh I hate genchem.
OC (27) was the most straightforward section of the sciences in my opinion. They're going to give you molecular formulas more so than line structures, so be able to draw them out to compare.
PAT (26) was easier than I had expected. Keyholes weren't nearly as bad as bootcamp's, a few 10+sided rock-like figures that were definitely uncalled for.. but nothing crazy here. I would say compared to bootcamp, the real PAT was easier across all sections except for cube counting - get comfortable visualizing weird arrangements, this section tripped me up and I ended up losing a lot of time. I also make sure to add up the total # of cubes I've counted and make sure it matches with the number of cubes in the figure, quick way to double-check your work.
RC (23) was purely S&D. don't let bootcamp scare you, yes you'll get some inference questions but nothing way left field. All the answers are in the passage.
QR (20) was the devil that brought my score down.. such a bummer. Like everyone's been telling you, it's a battle against time.

Good luck guys! PM me if you have questions, I'll be sticking around SDN even though I'm done :)

Took the DAT two days ago! finally home free. Honestly didn't feel like my scores were worthy of a breakdown, may or may not do one eventually.
23 AA / 23 TS / 26 PAT

Like everyone keeps saying, the Bio (22) was definitely a struggle. Feel like no matter how many bootcamp/qvault tests you go through, or how many times you try to memorize feralis notes, you're going to see questions that you've never seen before.. I marked about 10/40 bio questions, narrowed down to two choices, and basically guessed.
GC (22) was do-able, easy calculations, but heavy on the concepts. Know your trends. Got a question on lab safety.... ugh I hate genchem.
OC (27) was the most straightforward section of the sciences in my opinion. They're going to give you molecular formulas more so than line structures, so be able to draw them out to compare.
PAT (26) was easier than I had expected. Keyholes weren't nearly as bad as bootcamp's, a few 10+sided rock-like figures that were definitely uncalled for.. but nothing crazy here. I would say compared to bootcamp, the real PAT was easier across all sections except for cube counting - get comfortable visualizing weird arrangements, this section tripped me up and I ended up losing a lot of time. I also make sure to add up the total # of cubes I've counted and make sure it matches with the number of cubes in the figure, quick way to double-check your work.
RC (23) was purely S&D. don't let bootcamp scare you, yes you'll get some inference questions but nothing way left field. All the answers are in the passage.
QR (20) was the devil that brought my score down.. such a bummer. Like everyone's been telling you, it's a battle against time.

Good luck guys! PM me if you have questions, I'll be sticking around SDN even though I'm done :)

Sick scores great job!

I just finished my test and it's nothing like 23's and 24's but it was doable. Good luck guys it's not as hard as it seems.
How did you do?

Congrats on finishing.

On a scale 1-10

How much harder or easier was the exam compared to your study material?

I started bio 2 days ago and it turned out to be the 2nd highest score. But I was surprised because I marked at least 15 questions because they were soooooo random.

I want to figure out a strategy of what to study and not to study.

Did you use boot camp?

Do you agree with the consensus of it being very similar to actual exam?

AA/TS/Org/Gen/Bio/RC/QR/PAT
22 / 22/26 / 20/ 23 / 21 / 22/ 22

Wow ....

That's what I need.

I have a 3.15 GPA overall you think I can get that?

Oh

And how was g chem and Orgo compared with chads quizzes and bootcamp ?

Harder easier or on point ?

Orgo was very similar to chad's quizzes and bootcamp, but gen chem was very heavy on conceptual and less calculations. Had really weird questions on gen chem.

Bootcamp

BIO-20

OC-24

GC-19

QR-24

PAT-21

RC-19

GC-19

OC-22

BIO-19

QR-20

PAT-20