taking the MCAT again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wendywellesley

speller extrodinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm really torn about this. i've taken it twice so far aug 2003 26 (9PS/9VR/8BS) and aug 2004 29 (10PS/8VR/11BS). i'm applying this summer with probably a 3.4 overall gpa and 3.3 science. i took two years of post-bacc sciences to improve my undergrad gpa (strong upward trend, yada yada). if i take it again in the summer will schools still consider me before the aug 2005 scores come out? do they ask you if you have pending scores and put your app on hold?
thanks for the advice!
i'm in ny and would love to go to stony brook.

any imput?

thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

29 is fine. Just back it up with other stuff. Why subject yourself to all that torture all over again? The MCAT is like an IQ test, you can only "study" for it so much.....eventually all your scores will level off.

AStudent said:
29 is fine. Just back it up with other stuff. Why subject yourself to all that torture all over again? The MCAT is like an IQ test, you can only "study" for it so much.....eventually all your scores will level off.

i guess 29 is fine. i don't think the MCAT is like an IQ test. taking more bio classes helped a ton going from an 8 to an 11 on bio. i would just like my verbal to be better. i know that was because test jitters, i wasn't focused and i know i missed bubbled :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Astudent: 29 is a respectable score and yo ushould probably just better your app in other ways. Don't risk taking it again and doing worse. It seems you've worked really hard with post-bacc stuff to get your GPA in a better position so I'm sure the schools will take your efforts and dedication into acct.

I applied last yr with a 26 and 3.3 GPA and did not get in. I retook the MCAT (and got a 29) as well as improved other areas of my application and have been accepted this year. I took the Aug 2004 MCAT and sent in the AMCAS early with my old score. There were some schools that took action based on the old scores and rejected me straight off. Most of the others either went ahead and offered me a secondary pre new MCAT or put me on hold til they received the new score. So even if you retake it they will act based on the 29 and then take further action after the new score. I would say you are doing pretty well with a 29. If you retake it there is always the risk of lowering your score. I know a guy who did that, it sucked! Also, I am not sure how they look at people who have taken it many times. Hope this helps.

There is a box you check on the AMCAS that says "Plan on Taking Aug MCAT" or something like that. That tells the schools that you are taking it again. I did that this past summer. Even some schools that screened sent me a secondary prior to the scores coming out.

Should you decide to retake the MCAT this summer, schools will not make a decision on your application before the scores are released (mid October), unless you indicate otherwise on your AMCAS application and on your secondary applications.

Yes, both the AMCAS application and the majority of the secondary applications ask you if you have pending scores. If you say yes, your application is put on hold until these scores are received.

Now, to your case, I'd NOT retake the MCAT this summer. First, taking the summer MCAT and applying at the same time is a BIG no no, especially for a border-line applicant. Second, your weakness is not the MCAT. Your weakness is your GPA. Your MCAT is solid- Double digit sciences and national average on VR.

Like other have said, make sure the rest of your application looks good- EC, personal statement, LOR, secondary essays, etc. Apply to a wide range of schools and some special master programs as backup. Consider DO if you don't mind the two initials behind your name. Good luck.

wendywellesley said:
i'm really torn about this. i've taken it twice so far aug 2003 26 (9PS/9VR/8BS) and aug 2004 29 (10PS/8VR/11BS). i'm applying this summer with probably a 3.4 overall gpa and 3.3 science. i took two years of post-bacc sciences to improve my undergrad gpa (strong upward trend, yada yada). if i take it again in the summer will schools still consider me before the aug 2005 scores come out? do they ask you if you have pending scores and put your app on hold?
thanks for the advice!
i'm in ny and would love to go to stony brook.

any imput?

thanks so much :)

This is what I would do and I'm not sure why people don't do this: Retake the MCAT again and simply don't indicate that you are retaking it on your AMCAS application. This way your application won't be delayed. I'm not sure if AMCAS will automaticaly forward your new scores to your schools or if you will have to send a score report once they come out. If you have to send a report then there is really no reason not to retake it since you can see what you get first. Anyone know about this?

I think you can definitely bring up your verbal score with practice (people can raise their IQ scores with practice too). Sure their is a plateau but it is probably not at 8/9. Also the MCAT is *the* most important single factor in your appication and it can make up for your GPA. Even 1 or 2 points makes a big difference until you get to the high thirties.

But even if you don't raise your score you still have a good shot of getting in, you just may not have as many choices.

Acherona said:
This is what I would do and I'm not sure why people don't do this: Retake the MCAT again and simply don't indicate that you are retaking it on your AMCAS application. This way your application won't be delayed. I'm not sure if AMCAS will automaticaly forward your new scores to your schools or if you will have to send a score report once they come out. If you have to send a report then there is really no reason not to retake it since you can see what you get first. Anyone know about this?

I think you can definitely bring up your verbal score with practice (people can raise their IQ scores with practice too). Sure their is a plateau but it is probably not at 8/9. Also the MCAT is *the* most important single factor in your appication and it can make up for your GPA. Even 1 or 2 points makes a big difference until you get to the high thirties.

But even if you don't raise your score you still have a good shot of getting in, you just may not have as many choices.

I agree, verbal you can improve and the other's you've only got to maintain.
Good luck, this is not IQ just a big fu**ing beast of a test! :laugh:

Careful about retaking. Easy for the sciences to slip if you don't put in as much or more time the second/third time around. I think you are fine w/ your 29....just do everything you can to build up other areas of your application. I think that is time better spent than on taking the MCAT again. Good luck!

I wouldn't retake the MCAt, I would be much more worried about the GPA.

Your MCAT breakdown looks fine to me. A 29 is a fair score for middle to lower tier schools. If everything else about your app. is good you should be okay. Good luck.

One thing to consider:

Quite a few schools AVERAGE your MCAT scores (assuming you've taken the test more than once). That being said, a higher score, this summer, won't necessarily 'raise' your average score. If it does, it would be a negligible amount. May I suggest focusing on an extracurricular and writing a damn good essay detailing a suggestion for why you may have gotten a lower score than anticipated?