Taking the MCAT in August

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorgirldaisy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm taking the MCAT on August 2nd, but I still want to apply this cycle. I will have everything else in right when the applications open up. My gpa is a 3.6 and I have good LOR, extra currics, shadowing, and volunteering. How detrimental would applying kinda late be to my app. I'd be applying broadly and to schools with my median GPA. My adviser said I'd be okay but I want more feedback.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I applied this past cycle in a similar situation and I can say with a good degree of confidence that it hurt me, despite getting a score of 32-34. The problem is that once your score comes out in September you'll be about 1-2 months behind the head of the pack. Most early applicants have their applications marked as complete from early to late July. You can't be marked complete until your MCAT score is released, no matter how early you submit your primary application. Since most schools admit students on a rolling basis, by the time you'll even get your first interview invite around early October, they will have already started filling their class. Unless you get an exceptional score and have the extracurricular activities to support it, a late application will hurt you.

Very late. Not recommended for a reason, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage when it comes to applying. Your GPA is alright but it may not be able to offset a poor MCAT score, not to mention some schools are already sending out interview invites at that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about if I am an URM and apply to schools within my stats?

How about if I am an URM and apply to schools within my stats?

Like Boolean said, you don't know your stats yet. A 3.6 GPA is good enough, but not exceptional. You'll need a good MCAT score even as an URM, especially if you're going to go through with a late application. Is there any reason you can't take the MCAT earlier? Maybe late June? It's only April, so you should have plenty of time to study for an earlier test. Even taking it just a month earlier will give you a nice advantage.

The reason I can't necessarily study for an earlier exam is because I am taking a very heavy course load at the moment. I need the summer to be able to study for the MCAT. I'm taking a course from Early May until July 10. and I assume I need a bit of time to study on my own after the course. ://

If you're only going to be taking a course early May to July, you should be able to study for the MCAT as well during that time.

If you're only going to be taking a course early May to July, you should be able to study for the MCAT as well during that time.

That's what I meant. I am taking an MCAT course during that time. I can't study at the moment until May because my classes are taking up too much time (17 credits)

Sounds like your timing is pretty well planned out. I'd suggest you keep on schedule and if you're not ready, don't rush it. It's much better to have a strong MCAT than trying to rush that test and taking it too early. If necessary, you might decide to take a gap year and that's not so bad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would listen to @Boolean and @M.MD I applied late with a 3.65 and a 34 MCAT and I will be reapplying. Applying late tanked my app and it will tank yours as well.

Reactions: 2 users
i took mine in august. got my score in sept. solid gpa and solid mcat and while i did get into a top 20 medical school, it definitely limited my options. applying late puts you at a disadvantage.

That is a pretty darn late application, your primary /w MCAT won't even get processed until many other applicants secondaries are already being turned in and first rounds of interviews are being decided. Sure you are URM which may help a bit, but you are already missing out on a lot of opportunities for interview slots by applying so late. Not to mention the fact that if your mcat doesn't go as well as planned, you are stuck with that for the application cycle. If you read what the SDN community adcom members say (LizzyM, etc.), if you end up having to reapply due to being so late, they really expect for your application to be significantly improved when you reapply. Basically you are somehow trying to force yourself to come up with something big in a very short time if your first application cycle doesn't work out. In short, you are taking a big gamble which wouldn't necessarily mean only not getting in this coming cycle, but also worsening your chances the following cycle. Is it that important, and worth it to you to force your application through this coming cycle?

I agree with jturkel above - I (re)took it in September, and it worked out for me in the end. However, I KNOW that it was a limiting factor and I received rejections from schools where my stats were competitive. I would strongly recommend taking it earlier, but you have to do whats best for you. Feel free to play with the numbers (https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html), but even as a URM you limit yourself by applying later. If you can pull off submitting a primary in June and finishing secondaries by early July, you'll be in the best position, but taking an MCAT mid/late summer most likely won't be the end of the world.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied late and it definitely hurt my chances, with a 3.8 GPA and 30 MCAT. Got in DO, which I am rolling with, but it definitely pulled me just about out of the running from MD.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out. I decided your advice was valuable and talked to my parents. I decided to go ahead and take the MCAT (not rush it so I can get the best possible score) and then apply next cycle where I will be one of the first in the pack :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out. I decided your advice was valuable and talked to my parents. I decided to go ahead and take the MCAT (not rush it so I can get the best possible score) and then apply next cycle where I will be one of the first in the pack :)
Congrats on the decision, I really think that taking your time (even though it means another year) is the best choice for your overall application. Just make sure to also keep up on your volunteering/other activities so it doesn't seem like you just studied for the mcat and nothing else all year. Best of luck!

If I was you I would take the mcat in August and an apply next june for the 2016 cycle... (Don't rush it)

Smart choice. That'll also give you the opportunity to work on other areas of your application if needed. If you volunteer in a hospital even just 3-4 hours per week until next cycle, there's another ~200 hours to add to your application. Good luck!