Taking USMLE 1 during rotations.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slim Pickins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If this has been discussed I haven't been able to find it. I am considering taking the USMLE in the middle of my third year (in late October I'm thinking). I know it's unorthodox but I have a few reasons for it. I feel like the next few months are very hectic trying to study for COMLEX, plus my school doesn't make it very easy to spend the time I would like to study for boards. We even start our rotations a week BEFORE the COMLEX, if you can believe it. And my first rotation is Surgery. Damn.

I really want to crush USMLE and would like some time to devote to hard core studying for it. My third year elective is in October and I am considering using it as a vacation and just studying for USMLE and taking it at the end of the month.

Has anyone done this or seen it done? Is October too late for any reason?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as applications....it is not too late at all...as the process doesn't begin until after 3rd year ends. Dealing with memory retention...that is a whole different ball game. There is no "application" reason you cannot take it in Oct..just need the discipline to study like crazy all over again...

Best of Luck!

Thanks Yosh. I'm thinkin that's what I'll do.