Talking about a business I started as one of my most meaningful experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrThanos

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would this be appropriate to delve into? Starting the business (totally unrelated non-healthcare field) kind of forced me to improve my organization and time management skills. Some of my best semesters came from being forced to really navigate a busy schedule effectively. I don't like or necessarily care about the industry I started the business in, it has since failed, and I even have litigation against an insurance company for not paying a claim on a company vehicle which led to the downfall of the business. Not exactly sure how and if to include that part. I still deal with the litigation from time to time. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Would this be appropriate to delve into? Starting the business (totally unrelated non-healthcare field) kind of forced me to improve my organization and time management skills. Some of my best semesters came from being forced to really navigate a busy schedule effectively. I don't like or necessarily care about the industry I started the business in, it has since failed, and I even have litigation against an insurance company for not paying a claim on a company vehicle which led to the downfall of the business. Not exactly sure how and if to include that part. I still deal with the litigation from time to time. Thoughts?
Yes, it would be an appropriate choice for a MM essay, including (if you wish) that it ultimately failed, and lessons learned. The details of the litigation need not be gone into.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to add,

there is no requirement, expectation, or consideration, that a most meaningful experience must be related to healthcare , research, academics, or similar. It is to give you a chance to show what event or activity had significant impact to you as a person, what you got from it, and what traits, characteristics, and attributes it shows about you.

Do you think mentioning shadowing as an activity that gave us new insight into healthcare is a bad idea? I know people often say not to use shadowing because it doesn't say much about you, but I thought it was important to learn about exactly what I might be getting myself into.