Talking about surgery and allergies in secondary...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PB&Jam

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For some of the mandatory special experiences/adversity essays (such as Baylor's) I am considering discussing my hip surgery and recent diagnosis of being allergic to soy, eggs, and dairy (completely unrelated). For Baylor's question specifically (Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity) this would not be the main focus of the essay, rather, I'm planning on discussing my "unique" ECs (band, Krav Maga, Fencing, marathon), and then addressing the "adversity" part at the end.

My question is whether I should include the surgery and allergy diagnosis, since they had zero impact on my grades or other measurable parts of my application. These two things were major milestones in my life, as I had to change my lifestyle significantly after each one. However, I tend to think that ADCOMs won't care, since these events don't "explain" anything off about my application.

Thanks!
 
Allergy is boring and most people wouldn't care. Hip could work depends on what caused it though and how you phrase it.
It was caused by running a marathon and then promptly falling down a flight of stairs. I'd probably talk about how it affected my ability to walk or do a lot of the activities that I love (i.e. running) but that I used that time to broaden my horizons in other areas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Allergy is boring
How so? Living with food allergies involves constant scares, making really challenging adjustments not just to diet but to where one can eat and visit, affecting social life. So much of social culture revolves around food and being pressured to participate. Often, people with a milk allergy will be confused with having lactose intolerance.

So I think OP could definitely write about his/her experiences navigating a confusing new lifestyle, socially and personally and perhaps financially.
 
God no on the allergies.... instant eye roller

Part of the millennial generation's special snowflake agenda has been to accumulate as many allergies and weird food restrictions as possible

not saying yours aren't real, but docs are burnt out on it and don't care
 
How so? Living with food allergies involves constant scares, making really challenging adjustments not just to diet but to where one can eat and visit, affecting social life. So much of social culture revolves around food and being pressured to participate. Often, people with a milk allergy will be confused with having lactose intolerance.

So I think OP could definitely write about his/her experiences navigating a confusing new lifestyle, socially and personally and perhaps financially.
I never said they couldn't do it. I just said it was boring. Let's compare the two:

Hip: start the essay with the marathon, glory, successful finish, all is well, BAM! Trauma, heart break, diagnosis, need for surgery, fear of surgery, operation, road to recovery, end story with first run after rehabilitation.

Allergy: start the essay with gas, bloating and abdominal pain, failure to diagnose, struggle, more abdominal pain, possible weight loss, someone makes the connection, no more abdominal pain.

One is great. One is boring.
 
For me, one wrong bite will send me straight into anaphylaxis certainly put me in the hospital and could quite possibly kill me, so these allergies are anything but boring. I know this because it has happened on multiple occasions when my food was cross contaminated by allergens accidentally. The amount of caution I must take and anxiety about everything I eat is a factor in everything I do, and people who underestimate the serious nature of food allergies put my life at risk every day through their callousness, carelessness, and misconceptions about allergies. So OP, if this is a big part of your life and you can explain its impact in compelling ways I would certainly say go for it!
 
For me, one wrong bite will send me straight into anaphylaxis certainly put me in the hospital and could quite possibly kill me, so these allergies are anything but boring. I know this because it has happened on multiple occasions when my food was cross contaminated by allergens accidentally. The amount of caution I must take and anxiety about everything I eat is a factor in everything I do, and people who underestimate the serious nature of food allergies put my life at risk every day through their callousness, carelessness, and misconceptions about allergies. So OP, if this is a big part of your life and you can explain its impact in compelling ways I would certainly say go for it!
While I agree with you, given the advice of others here, I'll probably just write about the surgery. Some ADCOMs might have the same thought process as Crayola227 does, and that wouldn't do me any favors.