Target bottles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drho2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a flyer in the mail today displaying Target's innovative bottle. It has different colored rings so family members don't get each other's medications mixed up, and a neat slide out info sheet. Has anyone else seen this? I think all pharmacies should start going in this direction. Discuss/ give your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got a flyer in the mail today displaying Target's innovative bottle. It has different colored rings so family members don't get each other's medications mixed up, and a neat slide out info sheet. Has anyone else seen this? I think all pharmacies should start going in this direction. Discuss/ give your opinions!

Umm, they've had those bottles for a couple of years now. I don't like them for my personal meds because they are too big and bulky. I prefer a 10 dram bottle or smaller. You'd need a huge medicine cabinet if you are on a lot of meds. Color coding is good as long as 1) you are not color blind and 2) you can remember what color you chose.

While working at Target, it was a little more time consuming to complete a fill. You can't stand the bottle upright to pour pills from the counting tray. The label has to be aligned perfectly otherwise the little info sheet won't fit into the slot. That slip has to be manually torn from the paper label. Nothing is automated at Target, so filling takes longer anyway.

From a patient perspective, I don't like them either. It's really hard to gauge how much is in the bottle, my 30 Nexium looked like about 5 capsules when you hold it right side up...er upside down I guess. Regular round amber bottles aren't that hard to read for me, but maybe that has to do with 10 years of looking at lots and lots of them. However, I do like that you can keep the patient education with the bottle, that is a nice feature.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are clunky, poorly designed, and it's impossible to get the damned label off without ripping it apart if you are transferring one of their prescriptions in. I really dislike them, personally.

It has been discusssed on here several times, topic is several years old. I think it is bad idea, poor design, bulky and colored rings are one more place somone can make an error. Nice try though but not real practical....

I guess the advertisement got me. I haven't seen them in person. :oops: