Target Pharmacy--the good, the bad, the ugly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LactatedRingers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hai.

I need some info, if you guys don't mind. Anyone have any dirt on Target? Salary, hours/# of days of the week, vacation time, quality of the workplace, etc etc. Any info is good info.

Some background on my situation.

I live in New Jersey. I survived retail hell with a chain by floating for a year and working crazy amounts of overtime. Basically, I was abused, but made lots and lots of money. I finally made the crossover into hospital, but the hospital I work in sucks in both management and coworkers (been there a year).

I've been thinking of trying retail part-time again (need to get some extra money together--buying a house, getting married, etc). But definitely want a more employee friendly retail experience if that is at all possible. Target seems to be one of the calmer "chains." I would like to at least do some part time since the hospital schedule is 12 hour days, thus giving me a few days off per week. After getting my foot in the door, I'll have to see how I like it.

None of the local Targets, are hiring at the moment, but I thoroughly appreciate any info you guys give me so I can be ready for the future.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hai.

I need some info, if you guys don't mind. Anyone have any dirt on Target? Salary, hours/# of days of the week, vacation time, quality of the workplace, etc etc. Any info is good info.

Some background on my situation.

I live in New Jersey. I survived retail hell with a chain by floating for a year and working crazy amounts of overtime. Basically, I was abused, but made lots and lots of money. I finally made the crossover into hospital, but the hospital I work in sucks in both management and coworkers (been there a year).

I've been thinking of trying retail part-time again (need to get some extra money together--buying a house, getting married, etc). But definitely want a more employee friendly retail experience if that is at all possible. Target seems to be one of the calmer "chains." I would like to at least do some part time since the hospital schedule is 12 hour days, thus giving me a few days off per week. After getting my foot in the door, I'll have to see how I like it.

None of the local Targets, are hiring at the moment, but I thoroughly appreciate any info you guys give me so I can be ready for the future.

Thanks.

at the top of the page there is a button called "Search" . use those information gathering skills !!

Yea. ok.

but none of those really go into a general salary for the northeast (NJ) area. maybe that's what I really want to know. ... =p

Members don't see this ad :)
Of all the chains, Target is the only one that currently has a long waiting list just to interview.

Generally speaking, they are less busy, and management appears to be much more receptive to common sense. You do feel like you're an employee that's well taken care of, and that they are not just looking out for their bottom line.

And salary is always more of what you are able to leverage rather than what you deserve. and given that there are a large number of disgruntled walgreens and especially cvs pharmacists looking to jump ship, it will be difficult to negotiate higher salary.

Of all the chains, Target is the only one that currently has a long waiting list just to interview.

Generally speaking, they are less busy, and management appears to be much more receptive to common sense. You do feel like you're an employee that's well taken care of, and that they are not just looking out for their bottom line.

And salary is always more of what you are able to leverage rather than what you deserve. and given that there are a large number of disgruntled walgreens and especially cvs pharmacists looking to jump ship, it will be difficult to negotiate higher salary.

no waiting list here

Target is the bastion of retail pharmacy in my opinion.

Yea. ok.

but none of those really go into a general salary for the northeast (NJ) area. maybe that's what I really want to know. ... =p

124,000 in CT with a 42-hr work week...no drive-thru, pharmacy is closed from 1:30-2 pm every day for lunch. I'm hoping it's as good as it sounds in comparison to CVS and Wags cuz I just signed with them in Virginia...only time will tell I guess...goodluck with the job hunt.

Thanks for all of the info. Much much appreciated.

So, ya, it looks like target is as good as I think it is. !!

Very excited about that...now for getting in there. That's a whole different story. We shall see.

Thanks again!

Target has the WORST computer system I have ever worked with in my life. I have worked for Walgreens, Walmart and Target...and Target has the worst computer system and I don't like their workflow.

However, they are very slow and relaxed store.

They are very hard to get into....unless you know someone or you are their best intern in history etc. you will most likely not even have a chance in hell of getting a spot.

Thanks for all of the info. Much much appreciated.

So, ya, it looks like target is as good as I think it is. !!

Very excited about that...now for getting in there. That's a whole different story. We shall see.

Thanks again!

Not so fast... I won't/can't stand this love fest. Maybe my experience is unique. But my experience at Target (as a pharmacy intern) was far from stellar. I think this is definitely my store in particular that was "cursed" but still, lessons can be learned.

First off, I worked at the Target for 3 years as a pharmacy intern. Throughout the 3 years, I went through not two, not three, not four, but FIVE pharmacy managers. The computer system is the WORST in the world. Honestly I feel nerdy talking about computer systems, but seriously... it was GOD AWFUL. To train on that thing, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy on and it's unfair that they have a system like that and expect pharmacist to survive. On top of that, recently they were supposed to have a system in place (and have been saying it'll be here the next season, since 2010, the next season would come but not the system) that they totally changed their minds on (I guess they were saying great things about it and lying to pharmacist saying this new system will change the way they practice) and then recently, a few months ago they cancelled the contract with the developers of the program so that horrible system will stay put for a very long time.

Also, my store was in Chicago, and we had one of the busier pharmacy stores in the city in the popular area of Chicago... I just can't imagine going there all the time as the training program for the techs was awful (mostly because of the leadership at the store) but the lack of a solid formal training program for pharmacist and techs does make it difficult to work there.

I dont know, maybe it was just my store, but myself and the other people I knew there were mostly stressed there but I'm not trying to be pessimistic but I went into Target thinking the same things you're thinking and I'm far from impressed. The district manager would come in telling us we needed to fill more scripts (Which I heard coming on beforehand wasn't the case) and pulling pharmacist out that were underperforming. So again I'm not trying to bash Target, just trying to show it's not the saint of pharmacies in every case. If you're at a smaller store, and you have a tech I think that may be ideal.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the first posts are from 2010. I'm guessing Target has gone downhill a bit from what it used to be in the past. No drive thru though is still a selling point to me.

I've heard you end up working alone with occasional tech help in most stores, because it's not insanely busy. But working alone without a tech nearby could make you feel busy and overwhelmed.

I also heard that you get another pharmacist and more tech help in bigger metro areas.

A lot of the first posts are from 2010. I'm guessing Target has gone downhill a bit from what it used to be in the past. No drive thru though is still a selling point to me.

I'd agree with this above anything else. They just changed their business plan to maximize profits more than likely, and it kinda shows.. still maybe not as obvious as other companies, but within a few years (max 2-3) I'm sure they'll be blunt about their expectations/drive.

Last edited:
My friend absolutely hates Target. The bureaucracy is supposedly ridiculous. You can't "demote" yourself from a busy store to a less busy store. You can't switch from RXM to staff. With walgreens, you can fudge your schedule. With CVS you have nice days off. But at Target, you get 2 days off. The computer system is ancient. The nice thing is that Targets tend to be well staffed (busiest store in the district, and at peak times my friend says they have two Rphs, 3 techs, and two cashiers :scared::scared::scared::scared:) That would NEVER happen at walgreens lol.

No drive thru...heh. They said the same about Publix :smuggrin:

Has anyone done their Summer internship? Any thoughts, good/bad?

With CVS you have nice days off. But at Target, you get 2 days off.
In your location, whenever it's a nice day, CVS closes? At Target, you need to work 363 days per year? I think you need to elaborate and clarify for us.

In your location, whenever it's a nice day, CVS closes? At Target, you need to work 363 days per year? I think you need to elaborate and clarify for us.

Agreed. That goes against everything I know to be true at Target. Then again, threads like these are a waste of time. For every pharmacist that hates CVS and would like to burn it down there is one that would love to spend their final days on earth at CVS. Same with Walmart, Walgreens, rite aid, etc.

I think he meant CVS gets 3 days off? My friends that work for CVS work four 10 hour shifts so they have more days off.

I don't work retail full time, but my friends do. CVS they work 10-14 hour shifts and get more days off. Whereas my my friend at Target has to work 8 hour shifts or whatever. She even told me she had to do a 10 hour shift and then work a silly 6 hour shift (+1 hour drive each way = unhappy employee)

I've only ever worked at Walgreens, so I can't really vouch for the other ones.

My old manager at CVS recently told me that management is telling the pharmacists to alter the scheduling so you have pharmacists working split days, or every other day. As opposed to what most people like to do in working 2 full days and half a day in a row, and alternating weekends.

The latter option allows you to take a spontaneous vacation if you want. (Let's say you work all of Monday, all of Tuesday, and half of Wednesday, you end up with a 4 day weekend every other week.)

My friend absolutely hates Target. The bureaucracy is supposedly ridiculous. You can't "demote" yourself from a busy store to a less busy store. You can't switch from RXM to staff. With walgreens, you can fudge your schedule. With CVS you have nice days off. But at Target, you get 2 days off. The computer system is ancient. The nice thing is that Targets tend to be well staffed (busiest store in the district, and at peak times my friend says they have two Rphs, 3 techs, and two cashiers :scared::scared::scared::scared:) That would NEVER happen at walgreens lol.

No drive thru...heh. They said the same about Publix :smuggrin:

uhh....I think I need to work at that Target. At my store, we are given 10 tech hours (1 tech) a WEEK. So pharmacists work alone most of the time and we don't have any cashier either because that comes out of our tech hours. It's stupid, right? Sucks. Anyway, I just wanted to say we can no longer say Targets tend to be well staffed...

Last edited:
uhh....I think I need to work at that Target. At my store, we are given 10 tech hours (1 tech) a WEEK. So pharmacists work alone most of the time and we don't have any cashier either because that comes out of our tech hours. It's stupid, right? Sucks. Anyway, I just wanted to say we can no longer say Targets tend to be well staffed...

To do how many scripts?

124,000 in CT with a 42-hr work week...no drive-thru, pharmacy is closed from 1:30-2 pm every day for lunch. I'm hoping it's as good as it sounds in comparison to CVS and Wags cuz I just signed with them in Virginia...only time will tell I guess...goodluck with the job hunt.

Scheduled lunch is good, only if no inconsiderate customer shows up at 1:29p and demand to have scripts filled immediately even though they were written a month ago. So that 30 minutes easily turn in to a 15 minutes lunch and you'll just have to shove food down your throat and reopen again. When you work alone you cannot eat whenever you want. You'd be lucky if you have enough time to run to the restroom next door AND if no one is in the restroom. I still don't understand we have to share our restroom next door with the entire staff in the store. It's so stupid:mad:

Last edited:

Well, I'm off about 10 or 11 days a month so that's 126 days a year. I work 239 days a year if I don't take vacations. I work 10 hour shifts during the week and every other weekend, average 42 hours per week. I'm still surprised that I actually prefer working my CVS schedule 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. I guess I liked to enjoy the rest of my day after that 8 hour shift unlike being completely exhausted after working 10 hour days. Yes, I work at Target unfortunately... :mad:

Last edited:
Target has the WORST computer system I have ever worked with in my life. I have worked for Walgreens, Walmart and Target...and Target has the worst computer system and I don't like their workflow.

However, they are very slow and relaxed store.

They are very hard to get into....unless you know someone or you are their best intern in history etc. you will most likely not even have a chance in hell of getting a spot.

I'd say pretty relaxing for a tech or intern because the pharmacist is the one worrying about getting stuff done. I find myself letting my tech or student help and spend a lot of time with customers in the store so I can get stuff done. If I don't, I have to stay after we're closed to finish scripts, and I'm not doing that because we don't have the script count to justify that. There I was taking scripts at drop off, entering, filling, checking, ringing up prescriptions. I don't think that's relaxing at all. :thumbdown:

Last edited:

It's downhill alright. Or may be the truth finally comes out. I worked at CVS for 4 years before. I didn't expect Target to be much different than CVS or other retail pharmacies. If I thought Target was the retail heaven, I probably wouldn't stick around. No drive up is still a plus. I do wish we have some kind of window, not the drive up kind... :cool:

Last edited:
Not so fast... I won't/can't stand this love fest. Maybe my experience is unique. But my experience at Target (as a pharmacy intern) was far from stellar. I think this is definitely my store in particular that was "cursed" but still, lessons can be learned.

First off, I worked at the Target for 3 years as a pharmacy intern. Throughout the 3 years, I went through not two, not three, not four, but FIVE pharmacy managers. The computer system is the WORST in the world. Honestly I feel nerdy talking about computer systems, but seriously... it was GOD AWFUL. To train on that thing, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy on and it's unfair that they have a system like that and expect pharmacist to survive.

I dont know, maybe it was just my store, but myself and the other people I knew there were mostly stressed there but I'm not trying to be pessimistic but I went into Target thinking the same things you're thinking and I'm far from impressed. So again I'm not trying to bash Target, just trying to show it's not the saint of pharmacies in every case.

Nope, your store wasn't cursed, all Target pharmacies in my area are that way. I won't or can't stand the love fest either. It seems like Target has a hard time filling pharmacist PT and FT positions as well in my area. I know Target is well known for being picky. It's funny when they do find someone, usually that person wouldn't last very long. I guess as soon as they find out they have to stand all day, work 10 hour shifts without a tech, and use the crapy computer system, they just leave without turning back :laugh: I don't think this is bashing Target at all I'm just telling the truth.

Last edited:
Scheduled lunch is good, only if no inconsiderate customer shows up at 1:29p and demand to have scripts filled immediately even though they were written a month ago. So that 30 minutes easily turn in to a 15 minutes lunch and you'll just have to shove food down your throat and reopen again. When you work alone you cannot eat whenever you want. You'd be lucky if you have enough time to run to the restroom next door AND if no one is in the restroom. I still don't understand we have to share our restroom next door with the entire staff in the store. It's so stupid:mad:

Are you kidding me??? I've been with Target now for 2 years and I'll be damned if I've ever given up anytime of my lunch, especially for an "inconsiderate" customer. My techs know to tell anyone that drops off after 1:10-1:15 that the script will be ready at 2:20pm because the pharmacist is getting ready to go to lunch. We do about 1500 rxs/week which is busy for a Target and in the last 16 months we've had just one month where we weren't "green" in every guest survey metric.

This is the exact problem with pharmacists...the majority are the biggest pushovers I've ever met, especially for people who've spent so much time and money on higher education. Not me my friend, you have to train your customers...the people who don't like that answer can gladly go across the way to Walmart where they'll be lucky to get it that same day...and the ones who do almost always come back the next month.

That lunch is your time...you're the fool for giving it up. I swear, if pharmacists would just grow a pair we could probably solve half the problems that everyone bit*hes about here on a daily basis. Oh no....pharmacy sucks so bad....uhhh...I work 42 hrs a week, make almost 150k and take nothing home with me....sorry if I don't follow. Is Target perfect, hell no, but name one company or field that is???

The best of the retail in my opinion.
Their recruiters are odd. They flew in an HR person who interviewed about 30 people for a single store. I did pretty well I believe.
After that, I seem to be blacklisted. I had personnel in a distant district offer me an interview then cancel the day before. Claimed the post was filled, but they were still using traveling floater pharmacists for months.
It happened again in another district a year later.

Are you kidding me??? I've been with Target now for 2 years and I'll be damned if I've ever given up anytime of my lunch, especially for an "inconsiderate" customer. My techs know to tell anyone that drops off after 1:10-1:15 that the script will be ready at 2:20pm because the pharmacist is getting ready to go to lunch. We do about 1500 rxs/week which is busy for a Target and in the last 16 months we've had just one month where we weren't "green" in every guest survey metric.

This is the exact problem with pharmacists...the majority are the biggest pushovers I've ever met, especially for people who've spent so much time and money on higher education. Not me my friend, you have to train your customers...the people who don't like that answer can gladly go across the way to Walmart where they'll be lucky to get it that same day...and the ones who do almost always come back the next month.

That lunch is your time...you're the fool for giving it up. I swear, if pharmacists would just grow a pair we could probably solve half the problems that everyone bit*hes about here on a daily basis. Oh no....pharmacy sucks so bad....uhhh...I work 42 hrs a week, make almost 150k and take nothing home with me....sorry if I don't follow. Is Target perfect, hell no, but name one company or field that is???

Okay, I guess ladies should grow a pair too. Here I am being a pushover again, oh well. Or may be some pharmacists just want to do what they can to help someone. Or I hope someone else would be nice to me a stranger one of these days. You seemed so passionate about this pushover thing and almost sounded angry there.

Anyway, no I don't make almost $150k and I don't complain about everything when I'm working. I just do my job the best I can with a positive attitude when I'm there. I like my coworkers and I know almost all of my patients. I didn't know my patients doing 1500 a week at CVS. I wonder how many tech hours you get for doing 1500 these days. We had around 110 tech hours at CVS in 2009.

I'm glad things seem to be almost perfect at your store. Congrats on your green metrics , nightcrawleRx, that's all the matters.

I have to applaud this statement, I couldn't agree more. I think "pushover" is maybe putting it mildly. I've seen Pharmacists bend over backwards, sacrificing lunches for their company and patients... In the end, it won't save you your job; you'll spend your time at work stressed out, on edge with a passive aggressive attitude. No wonder everyone bit*hes on here, blame it on a lack of spine

I'd say pretty relaxing for a tech or intern because the pharmacist is the one worrying about getting stuff done. I find myself letting my tech or student help and spend a lot of time with customers in the store so I can get stuff done. If I don't, I have to stay after we're closed to finish scripts, and I'm not doing that because we don't have the script count to justify that. There I was taking scripts at drop off, entering, filling, checking, ringing up prescriptions. I don't think that's relaxing at all. :thumbdown:

It was sometimes very stressful for me too...but compare with Walgreens it was much better. LOL...

It is mainly stressful b/c the computer system suck so badly and the workflow isn't as organized as other chains.

Target needs to a get computer system like Walgreens. Walgreen's have the best computer system.

Target is much slower compare to other chains...however b/c of their poor workflow and crappy computer...it feels busy at times.

Good:
* better corporate support than Wags and Rite-Aid with more "team-like" atmosphere
* clientele is usually a little bit more considerate and understanding (although they may be more spoiled & demanding if there's a Target located in a more affluent area)
* good discounts and better items in the overall chain (Target > Wal-Mart definitely)

Bad:
* worst computer system ever --> sometimes you will want to break the computer when the pharmacy gets busier because PDX is crap. It's limitations will drive you crazy.
* inefficient workflow due to excessive bagging, labeling, writing, stickering (no scanner or any high-tech modern stuff). On top of this, corporate will continually monitor and assess if your
* origami" skills are up to par (everything must be perfectly labeled & bagged!)
* 100 scripts feels like 300 scripts due to ancient pharmacy software and tedious workflow
* Target is new to the pharmacy business, however, they have been slowly implementing more micromanagement techniques lately -> they seem to be making us do MORE in LESS time (doesn't sound too reasonable... but it's retail, so...)
* as usual, you get measured on every single metric there is + other silly ones (friendliness of team, time it took to drop-off at window, # of auto-refills, # of pharmacy rewards, inventory control, RTS, etc.)

Target is still better than most chains, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do any of your patients complain? A lot of pharmacists and techs will go "out of there way" to help the patient, even if that means using up their lunch time. Otherwise, I know that the patients will start writing nasty comments to the store manager, and that message will forwarded to the district manager, and so forth.

It sucks either way. Do your job and get screwed (no lunch). Don't do your job and get screwed (written up). :thumbdown:

Does anyone know what is the hourly pay rate for Target pharmacist in southern and northern CA?

Good:
* better corporate support than Wags and Rite-Aid with more "team-like" atmosphere
* clientele is usually a little bit more considerate and understanding (although they may be more spoiled & demanding if there's a Target located in a more affluent area)
* good discounts and better items in the overall chain (Target > Wal-Mart definitely)

Bad:
* worst computer system ever --> sometimes you will want to break the computer when the pharmacy gets busier because PDX is crap. It's limitations will drive you crazy.
* inefficient workflow due to excessive bagging, labeling, writing, stickering (no scanner or any high-tech modern stuff). On top of this, corporate will continually monitor and assess if your
* origami" skills are up to par (everything must be perfectly labeled & bagged!)
* 100 scripts feels like 300 scripts due to ancient pharmacy software and tedious workflow
* Target is new to the pharmacy business, however, they have been slowly implementing more micromanagement techniques lately -> they seem to be making us do MORE in LESS time (doesn't sound too reasonable... but it's retail, so...)
* as usual, you get measured on every single metric there is + other silly ones (friendliness of team, time it took to drop-off at window, # of auto-refills, # of pharmacy rewards, inventory control, RTS, etc.)

Target is still better than most chains, though.

I agree with this.

One more complaint about Target....you can only get their discount if you 1) use cash or 2) use their credit card.

I have 10000000 credit cards already and prefer NOT getting their credit card and I also prefer not carrying tons of cash on hand.....so I NEVER get to use their discounts.

It's stupid....So people have to carry hundreds in their wallets in order to use their damn discount.

Walmart however allows you to use their discount with any method of payment BUT their discount is only valid for people that's been their for at least 90 days. If you just got hired you don't get any discounts till you been there for 90 days.

God, I HATED folding those papers at Target and those damn stickers!

Does anyone know what is the hourly pay rate for Target pharmacist in southern and northern CA?

Retail pharmacy rates almost always fall between $55 to $65 an hour.

I haven't heard of any retail rates that fall outside of this range...so expect that range.

Okay, I guess ladies should grow a pair too. Here I am being a pushover again, oh well. Or may be some pharmacists just want to do what they can to help someone. Or I hope someone else would be nice to me a stranger one of these days. You seemed so passionate about this pushover thing and almost sounded angry there.

Anyway, no I don't make almost $150k and I don't complain about everything when I'm working. I just do my job the best I can with a positive attitude when I'm there. I like my coworkers and I know almost all of my patients. I didn't know my patients doing 1500 a week at CVS. I wonder how many tech hours you get for doing 1500 these days. We had around 110 tech hours at CVS in 2009.

I'm glad things seem to be almost perfect at your store. Congrats on your green metrics , nightcrawleRx, that's all the matters.

Do I seem passionate about the "pushover" thing??? Good, I'm glad you picked up on that...it's because I am!!! You just said some "inconsiderate" guest drops off at 1:29 with a script dated from a month ago...yet you filled it during your lunch to "help" someone. Riddle me this...how the hell is that not being a pushover?!? I bet it was for Latisse or something too...way to go that extra mile for your patients one rx at a time.

As for metrics...thanks for the sarcastic congratulations....I'll take it.

In regards to another poster asking about customer complaints...let me say this...if you run a pretty good ship at Target you have less BS to deal with from your store manager or RxBP (district manager in Target lingo) than most other chains. That being said, I dare any of them to ever tell me I shouldn't have taken a lunch. Again, it's okay to have a spine in this profession...trust me, everything is gonna be okay!!! The STLs I've had in my experience stay out of my business...for good reason...I've got it covered and they don't know their ass from their elbow about pharmacy. Same could be said about me running the front...don't have a clue so I won't act like I do. And I'll make them very aware of that fact if need be...they're there for support should the pharmacy team need it and likewise, I'll support them however I can. But the day they tell me how to be a pharmacist is the day hell freezes over...for real real.

Again, Target is not perfect...I agreee 100% about PDX and the time our team wastes playing "oragami"...but in my experiences as an intern at other companies and talking with other pharmacists, whether it be an old friend, via the transfer process, etc...I think I'll stay right where I am. Being a pharmacist allows me to live very comfortably and I don't come home stressed every day...some days sure...but overall, not so much and that certainly doesn't seem to be the consensus on this forum.