target score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruitloops24

Reaction score
I applied MD only this cycle with the score from my first attempt of 506 (130/121/126/129). Obviously, the 121 in CARS is a death sentence for my application. My cars score was always inconsistent (123-127), so I was asking for this. I completed a summer research program too, and did not allow time for restudying and retake for this cycle.

Instead of rushing into a test this fall, I am going to retake my MCAT next spring and reapply to MD and DO for the first time. What overall score should I be shooting for on my retake and/or CARS section score? 510 w/125? 512/126? etc.

I am a KY resident, 3.88 sGPA, 3.87 cGPA, SES disadv and Med-MAR, tons of research and average volunteering/EC's/shadowing otherwise.

Any thoughts @Goro @Faha @gyngyn ?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied MD only this cycle with the score from my first attempt of 506 (130/121/126/129). Obviously, the 121 in CARS is a death sentence for my application. My cars score was always inconsistent (123-127), so I was asking for this. I completed a summer research program too, and did not allow time for restudying and retake for this cycle.

Instead of rushing into a test this fall, I am going to retake my MCAT next spring and reapply to MD and DO for the first time. What overall score should I be shooting for on my retake and/or CARS section score? 510 w/125? 512/126? etc.

I am a KY resident, 3.88 sGPA, 3.87 cGPA, SES disadv and Med-MAR, tons of research and average volunteering/EC's/shadowing otherwise.

You should aim for a 528! But, realistically, aim for a 125-126 CARS, and there is no reason, in my opinion, that your C/P is a 130 and your B/B is a 126. That is a little weird to me. I think you can definitely get a 128-130 on both sections. A 512 should be fine for your state schools but a 515+ is totally doable (with similar sections as mine-- 130/126/130/129) Good luck!

You should aim for a 528! But, realistically, aim for a 125-126 CARS, and there is no reason, in my opinion, that your C/P is a 130 and your B/B is a 126. That is a little weird to me. I think you can definitely get a 128-130 on both sections. A 512 should be fine for your state schools but a 515+ is totally doable (with similar sections as mine-- 130/126/130/129) Good luck!
Thanks! I thought that was a bit weird too..I didn't review B/B as much as I could have. I am going to focus on CARS and bio when I start studying again. What materials did you use for B/B?

Get that CARs up to 125 and you should be OK.

Can you enlighten us as to why you applied with such a lethal CARS score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I thought that was a bit weird too..I didn't review B/B as much as I could have. I am going to focus on CARS and bio when I start studying again. What materials did you use for B/B?
I probably cannot give good advice for B/B because I took an SMP (M.S. in Medical Sciences) and the classes like medical genetics, biochem, anatomy, physiology, etc. really helped me with this section. Other than that, I thought the Kaplan biochem book was AMAZING for review and Khan Academy was great.

Get that CARs up to 125 and you should be OK.

Can you enlighten us as to why you applied with such a lethal CARS score?
Noted, and it was a gamble that did not pay off..

My cars score was always inconsistent, and my mcat was schedule for 5/24. I participated in the 10 week summer program and I thought that I would either take 5/24 or push my MCAT to August. I was afraid that I would not have adequate time to maintain my studying throughout the program so I elected to take my original test date, and, well..121 CARS. I was also unsure of whether or not an August test date would put me out of this cycle due to getting my score back late.

I probably cannot give good advice for B/B because I took an SMP (M.S. in Medical Sciences) and the classes like medical genetics, biochem, anatomy, physiology, etc. really helped me with this section. Other than that, I thought the Kaplan biochem book was AMAZING for review and Khan Academy was great.
Okay, I will utilize the KA materials and will do a thorough review of B/B.

@Goro Just drawing your attention back to this post.

I received an interview invite for one of my state schools (MD). How should I address this score in an interview?

Reactions: 1 user
How much of a flag will this be when they come to review my app, stats, responses..post interview? A CARS score of 125 is 10th percentile at the school..

Is there a chance that the committee may recognize that my C/P and P/S scores are > 75th percentile for this school? I am not going to be the pre-med who points that out in an interview.

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much of a flag will this be when they come to review my app, stats, responses..post interview? A CARS score of 125 is 10th percentile at the school..

Is there a chance that the committee may recognize that my C/P and P/S scores are > 75th percentile for this school? I am not going to be the pre-med who points that out in an interview.

Just curious.
There is simply no predicting how any individual Adcom member will view these. Sometime you have to apply with that you have, warts and all, and see how the cycle shakes out.

But always have Plan B.

Abd stop acting like your mCAT is a comment on your personal self-worth.
I received another invite from the other MD school in my state (I suppose you can gather which schools these are). This interview will be academically blind, to both GPA and MCAT.

Should I say anything about this low section at all or not?

I received another invite from the other MD school in my state (I suppose you can gather which schools these are). This interview will be academically blind, to both GPA and MCAT.

Should I say anything about this low section at all or not?
Still trying to atone for a presumably bad performance? Why draw attention to A-???

Still trying to atone for a presumably bad performance? Why draw attention to A-???
Organizing my outfit for interviews. Is a dress shirt such as this appropriate? I want one that does not have buttons on the collar since it looks more professional. Pronto Uomo White Queen's Oxford Slim Fit Dress Shirt - Men's Slim Fit | Men's Wearhouse

Was thinking of getting a dark grey suit, sky blue checkered tie with this. Would you suggest black or brown shoes with this combination?

Organizing my outfit for interviews. Is a dress shirt such as this appropriate? I want one that does not have buttons on the collar since it looks more professional. Pronto Uomo White Queen's Oxford Slim Fit Dress Shirt - Men's Slim Fit | Men's Wearhouse

Was thinking of getting a dark grey suit, sky blue checkered tie with this. Would you suggest black or brown shoes with this combination?
Just don't wear something that you'd wear to a funeral.

I leave fashion advice to the wise @gyngyn

Charcoal with a white or pale blue shirt (you are right: no button-down collar!) is great. Black shoes (not loafers).

Congratulations! Was rooting for you as I was reading down this thread. I'm happy you got in.
Thank you!! I had nearly given up hope, but I am glad that I didn't. Good luck with your application! Not sure if you applied this cycle or will be in the future.