Tax Refund on Signing Bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bulldogmed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First year HPSP here,

Got my signing bonus at the usual time. Taxes were withheld, so I only received $14k.

My understanding is that the $2100 monthly stipend is not taxable income, so my FY2012 income is the $20k signing bonus plus whatever I made before med school started (~$3500).
Therefore, my income bracket is <$25k, and I don't pay any income taxes, aka, I get back the $6000 withheld from my signing bonus.

Am I correct or does Uncle Sam get to keep my money? Much thanks all.
 
Okay, so my 2012 income would include signing bonus + 2012 stipend + misc.

For future reference, is there anyway to get "bonus" money like MSP in full as opposed to having 30% withheld?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so my 2012 income would include signing bonus + 2012 stipend + misc.

For future reference, is there anyway to get "bonus" money like MSP in full as opposed to having 30% withheld?

A portion may be tax free when deployed. That portion is capped at what the senior-most enlisted member of the armed forces earns (currently $7609.50/month) plus imminent danger pay (another $225/month).

Eg, if you're deployed for a 7 month period, $54841.50 of your income that year is tax free. Some portion of ASP or ISP or MSP may be tax free.