TBR 2015 BOOKS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaba

In Omnia Paratus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I don't know if this has been posted already (sorry if it has!)-

I wrote the Mcat in Aug 2015- used the TBR study books (older addition) and EK (2015 set) to study. I have to rewrite and was wondering if any of you have started using the new BR Gchem book set-
Is it very different from the older version? I was thinking of purchasing it but I don't know if it's worth it?
I did order the Updated Bio set and Psychology book (although I noticed the new updated Bio books are very similar to the older ones).

Any input would help! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

The new general chemistry books have twelve chapters (compared to ten before). Despite more chapters, the reading section is actually fewer pages now. The change is the result of splitting old chapters, removing some topics no longer tested, and adding some biology examples. For instance, the kinetics and nuclear chemistry chapter has medically useful isotopes and the PET scan in the passage section.

The biggest difference is in the homework passages. There are still three phases, but Phase II is a little shorter and Phase III is a practice test that includes material from other sections as well as some biology-heavy passages. For instance, titration curves now include many amino acids and kinetics has more enzyme applications. There are now 90 passages in each book where there were 68 and 63 passages respectively in the previous edition. Some of the older passages have been sent off to pasture. The roughly 60 new passages are predominantly either experiments or biology-related passages.

The new general chemistry books have twelve chapters (compared to ten before). Despite more chapters, the reading section is actually fewer pages now. The change is the result of splitting old chapters, removing some topics no longer tested, and adding some biology examples. For instance, the kinetics and nuclear chemistry chapter has medically useful isotopes and the PET scan in the passage section.

The biggest difference is in the homework passages. There are still three phases, but Phase II is a little shorter and Phase III is a practice test that includes material from other sections as well as some biology-heavy passages. For instance, titration curves now include many amino acids and kinetics has more enzyme applications. There are now 90 passages in each book where there were 68 and 63 passages respectively in the previous edition. Some of the older passages have been sent off to pasture. The roughly 60 new passages are predominantly either experiments or biology-related passages.

I have a quick question. Hopefully you see this. I purchased the older Berkeley Review books (before the 2015 changed version came out). I've basically done almost all the passages out of the science books (Bio, Chem, Orgo, Physics). I don't think I can afford buying the new books so I was wondering how much I'm missing out on? Is it almost the same thing? It would be extremely tough for me to purchase the newer books after purchasing the older books and essentially doing almost all the passages.

Thanks!