TBR Homework Phases Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YossarianLives

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a silly question, but just starting out on my TBR material (arrived in the mail yesterday!). They break the homework into 3 Phases,, and just a few questions about that. I am starting to look at Gen Chem Part 1.

1. The book discusses 3 Phases of homework, to be done at the appropriate time. Phase I + II are incorporated into the chapter. Am I correct in thinking that Phase III is the corresponding exam at the end of the book? I think it has to be - but surprised that it doesn't seem to be labelled as Phase III anywhere.

2. In the overview of Phase II, the book mentions that you should give 70 minutes to answer the 50 questions. However, it seems like every Phase II is just 25 questions. I'm just going to go ahead and give myself 35 minutes. I assume this is just a minor typo, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The uniformity we had hoped for when we started our updating in ernest (back in April 2015) was lost with each book release. Sorry for the confusion this causes, because somewhere in the time between the release of the organic chemistry books (first to be redone) and the physics book (last to be redone), we had a change of heart about Phase III. In organic chemistry Phase III is labeled as such. In the general chemistry and physics books it is a practice exam at the end of the books, where Exam 1.1 is serves as Phase III for chapter 1, Exam 1.2 is serves as Phase III for chapter 2, and so on. For the biology books, the passages in each chapter are eclectic and don't fit into the defined phases used in the other science books. The big thing with those is to do the chapter passages (all 15) before doing the review exams.

(1) You are very correct... our mistake on the labeling

(2) For organic it is 70 minutes for the 50-question exams. For the general chemistry and the physics, give yourself 31 minutes for the 25-question phases.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a couple PMs about this so I figured I should update. The schedules in the books have been fixed in the latest printing and phase IIIs have been labeled a little better. The timing for passages and questions has also been corrected in the organic chemistry book.