teach for kaplan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vhh007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you out there have taught/tutored for kaplan. Do you have fexible hours? Decent pay? Also, what are they looking for in their short interview/presentation? Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if any of you out there have taught/tutored for kaplan. Do you have fexible hours? Decent pay? Also, what are they looking for in their short interview/presentation? Thanks a lot

Hey,

I taught for kaplan, and they have pretty good pay and very flexible hours. In their interview, they want to see if you can stand in front of a crowd and not break. also, your effectiveness as a presenter. good luck to ya.

thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
i teach for kaplan right now

pretty good pay, good hours

i think its fun and a positive environment to work in

whats the big deal, why cant u guys just tell us how much kaplan pays u?

whats the big deal, why cant u guys just tell us how much kaplan pays u?

First, bc the question was "was the pay decent," in which we responded yes (no specifics were inquired). Second, its not polite to discuss how much one is paid, its typically a taboo subject among workers and even more so on an online forum. third, we all make different hourly rates depending on how long we've worked and our student evaluations, so how much i make isn't necessarily a good gauge of how much you'll make. If the OP is interested in specifics, you can PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
not totally sure, I start my training in the next few weeks. phew, i needed a job too! has anyone here cross trained to teach for a different test? I was asked if I would be interested in teaching for a nursing test but I have no clue as to the name of it or what material it covers, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the pay and max # hours you can work?

Hmmm, is there a certain score you need in every section to apply/work there?

The job posting on craigslist in my area a couple weeks back wanted 20’s across the board.

the kaplan course i was in had 3 different instructors...1 for sciences, 1 for pat, 1 for math/rc...i guess it just depends on the location you plan on working at.

Hey guys, I know someone who used to teach at Kaplan about 2.5 years ago. He taught the MCAT course and was paid $60/hr. I assume the DAT pay is somewhere in that area. I dont think its a biggie to discolse this info cuz some people ARE interested in this job and they deserve to know what the hours/pay are. Also, he taught one 3 hour course once a week and prepared for about 3 hrs, so his total hours was 6 hrs a week. As far as I know, he was VERY happy with the job and it gave him a chance to save some extra cash for a rainy day in med school. GL!

Reactions: 1 user
to the OP, I teach/ interview for kaplan, here are the basics:

Yes you do have to teach every section, most centers will want someone who can teach an entire course, not just parts of it.

To be considered, there's a general policy of inviting someone back for an interview/audition if your scores are at or above the 90th percentile (preferrably the 95th percentile) YMMV depending on the current need for DAT teachers.

The pay scale varies depending on center/region, in jersey the starting is aprox. 20-22/hr and can goes up depending on the quality of your work, time with kaplan and a bunch of other factors (this is advertised by centers and hence the reason I put these numbers down).

For the interview/audition, (I am part of the review team that sits in the auditions), we're looking for your ability to convey whatever you have prepared for us in an effective, interactive manner. We do look at your comfort level as well as elicitation skills and boardwork. Again, this is your 5 minute opportunity to sell yourself as an effective teacher.

The hours are pretty awesome, you can work as little or as much as you like depending on when courses are being run and the number of DAT teachers at your center (1 teacher= more assignments, more than 1 teacher normally equals some sort of division amongst teachers).

In regards to cross training, you are normally asked if you've scored highly on the other test (eg. the SAT) or you've got a proven track record that you can teach the DAT effectively. In these cases, they normally consider cross training you, again it's a pretty good deal because it increases the number of classes you can potentially teach ($$$) and also improves your teaching skills vastly (think 11th grader attitude vs. pre-dental attitude, challenges in both).

...and this is why talking about money on an international forum like this can be misleading. Your starting pay is determined by a lot of factors -- including where you're teaching. Here in the FLA I was starting at 12/hr. Still good but not 20.

Also, depending on the center, they may be interested in someone with a very strong PAT score. I've heard of some classes where all the sciences are taught by an MCAT teacher and they bring in a PAT superstar to teach that section.

All in all, it's a good job and a great second job.

thanks a lot for all the great info, for the center I interviewed at (in NC) you needed 20's across the board just to be considered. The 5 min presentation was a breeze and when I went in for the interview I was offered the position on the spot. I have to go through training which is once a week for 5-6 weeks in which we get paid for the classroom hours and for prep time which is ~40 hrs. Starting salary is 17/hr and after you start teaching and get reviewed they will increase your pay accordingly to how well you teach and how the students preform. Classes run twice a week for 3-4 hrs each session.

I think it's a great chance to keep up with all this DAT info, personally I think it's kind of a loss to study so much for a test like this and then completly forget everything. What a waste! Plus the hours seem very flexible and the pay is pretty good. Because there is another Kaplan center in the area I will also be able to teach at that center and tutor individuals to pick up some extra hours. Thanks to everyone that responded, I really appreciate it.

keep in mind you actually have the job once you complete training not before that and people are failed out of training....being a great test taker doesn't automatically make you a great teacher up in the tri-state the KTDP (teacher training) is pretty intense so it def. ain't no piece of cake.

Makchops, yes I agree the starting pay is different depending on location, I was quoting what they advertise on posters for the tri-state region (NJ/NY/CT).

thanks a lot for all the great info, for the center I interviewed at (in NC) you needed 20's across the board just to be considered. The 5 min presentation was a breeze and when I went in for the interview I was offered the position on the spot. I have to go through training which is once a week for 5-6 weeks in which we get paid for the classroom hours and for prep time which is ~40 hrs. Starting salary is 17/hr and after you start teaching and get reviewed they will increase your pay accordingly to how well you teach and how the students preform. Classes run twice a week for 3-4 hrs each session.

I think it's a great chance to keep up with all this DAT info, personally I think it's kind of a loss to study so much for a test like this and then completly forget everything. What a waste! Plus the hours seem very flexible and the pay is pretty good. Because there is another Kaplan center in the area I will also be able to teach at that center and tutor individuals to pick up some extra hours. Thanks to everyone that responded, I really appreciate it.

hey... I teach GMAT for Kaplan now. It SUUCCKKSS. The training was kinda tough, but they focus on the lamest things... like you have to say "test day, mcat, higher score, online resources, kaplan method, homework" at least every third of a page. I trained with some MCAT folks, and it didn't seem as bad for them since there are less bull**** strategies that don't work... be forewarned that turnover is ridiculously high in this company for a reason... Kaplan can totally suck man. They wanted me to teach MCAT too (I am in an MBA/MD program) but i knew it would be too much prep time (which you only get $7 an hour for BTW... and you will spend way more time prepping at home then you will in class) If you want to do a good job, the amount of time you need to prep for a class will go way beyond what you think it will and they will only pay you up to a certain amount. if you go over they suggest "performance enhancements" a.k.a. that are not going to pay you for the extra time or they will fire you. I am not done with my first class cycle, so maybe it gets easier second time around??

hey... I teach GMAT for Kaplan now. It SUUCCKKSS. The training was kinda tough, but they focus on the lamest things... like you have to say "test day, mcat, higher score, online resources, kaplan method, homework" at least every third of a page. I trained with some MCAT folks, and it didn't seem as bad for them since there are less bull**** strategies that don't work... be forewarned that turnover is ridiculously high in this company for a reason... Kaplan can totally suck man. They wanted me to teach MCAT too (I am in an MBA/MD program) but i knew it would be too much prep time (which you only get $7 an hour for BTW... and you will spend way more time prepping at home then you will in class) If you want to do a good job, the amount of time you need to prep for a class will go way beyond what you think it will and they will only pay you up to a certain amount. if you go over they suggest "performance enhancements" a.k.a. that are not going to pay you for the extra time or they will fire you. I am not done with my first class cycle, so maybe it gets easier second time around??

This is why I refused their "offer" to teach for them. Their pay is just in now way commensurate with the amount of effort you put in to prepare and teach for their class.

This is why I refused their "offer" to teach for them. Their pay is just in now way commensurate with the amount of effort you put in to prepare and teach for their class.

All that work for $7.00 an hour!?!?! I always thought they got paid better...weird

All that work for $7.00 an hour!?!?! I always thought they got paid better...weird

I was offered $14/hour to teach and $7.50/hr for prepping. As the poster mentioned above there is a 40 hr/wk cap on a combination of both. However, my impression was that prepping takes a lot of work and in any case teaching a class of 15-20 people for $14/hr is simply unacceptable to me.

I was offered $14/hour to teach and $7.50/hr for prepping. As the poster mentioned above there is a 40 hr/wk cap on a combination of both. However, my impression was that prepping takes a lot of work and in any case teaching a class of 15-20 people for $14/hr is simply unacceptable to me.

Do you prep there? Or do you tell them how long you spent prepping?