Teaching abortion in medical school, NYMC or otherwise

Started by FenderHM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FenderHM

Where there's a will...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey-

So I've heard they won't teach abortions at NYMC, is that true? Do other schools teach this? Whether or not we agree with the morality of abortions, as physicians we should at least be taught about them!

I wanted to go to NYMC but now I'm not so sure...need more info.
 
should be outlawed period! (IMO) it's like bringing politics into the classroom...some people just don't understand that it is matter of opinion!! brainwashing people into believing abortion is perfectly acceptable is ABSURD!! nuff said 😡

NYMC is doing a good job! 👍
 
FenderHM said:
Hey-

So I've heard they won't teach abortions at NYMC, is that true? Do other schools teach this? Whether or not we agree with the morality of abortions, as physicians we should at least be taught about them!

I wanted to go to NYMC but now I'm not so sure...need more info.

I posted on the other thread but this is true. During my interview day at NYMC, the current students informed me of the ban on teaching abortions and the "value of each human life" which I believe also extends into end of life issues (ie- euthenasia)
Basically, their teaching guidelines are affected by their Catholic affiliation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FenderHM said:
Hey-

So I've heard they won't teach abortions at NYMC, is that true? Do other schools teach this? Whether or not we agree with the morality of abortions, as physicians we should at least be taught about them!

I wanted to go to NYMC but now I'm not so sure...need more info.

I'm curious to know what you mean by "teach abortions". It is not on the "curriculum" per se of any med school. If you do a rotation in a specialty where abortions are performed, I'm sure at most places without specific christian religious affiliation you can choose to learn it (as you might any procedure) or opt out, if a patient happens to come into the medical facility for such procedure. But it's not like there will be a class.
 
Gerrymandering said:
should be outlawed period! it's like bringing politics into the classroom...some people just don't understand that it is matter of opinion!! brainwashing people into believing abortion is perfectly acceptable is ABSURD!! nuff said 😡

NYMC is doing a good job! 👍


Learning about abortions DOES NOT MEAN ABORTION IS BEING CONDONED! Think doctors should learn how cocaine affects the brain to treat ODs? DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE CONDONING COCAINE USE!

Wow...
 
Gerrymandering said:
[abortion] should be outlawed period! ...some people just don't understand that it is matter of opinion!!

Uh huh. Now how are those two statements not contradictory?
 
Law2Doc said:
I'm curious to know what you mean by "teach abortions". It is not on the "curriculum" per se of any med school. If you do a rotation in a specialty where abortions are performed, I'm sure at most places without specific christian religious affiliation you can choose to learn it (as you might any procedure) or opt out, if a patient happens to come into the medical facility for such procedure. But it's not like there will be a class.

As in...certain opinions will be taken by the school in regard to ethical discussions in the first two years. What I was most concerned about though was how if affected years 3 and 4: the affiliated hospitals for NYMC do not perform abortions therefore if you do your clinical rotations there you will have no route to learn about this procedure.
 
FenderHM said:
Learning about abortions DOES NOT MEAN ABORTION IS BEING CONDONED! Think doctors should learn how cocaine affects the brain to treat ODs? DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE CONDONING COCAINE USE!

Wow...

:laugh: If you look at it that way, then i agree with you...I thought you were another liberal around here so i had to speak up! sorry...
 
betty7 said:
As in...certain opinions will be taken by the school in regard to ethical discussions in the first two years. What I was most concerned about though was how if affected years 3 and 4: the affiliated hospitals for NYMC do not perform abortions therefore if you do your clinical rotations there you will have no route to learn about this procedure.

I think those schools with religious affiliations (nymc, gtown..) wont teach abortions at their hospitals but if you express interest, they are willing to send you to an affiliated/local hospital to learn.
 
Law2Doc said:
I'm curious to know what you mean by "teach abortions". It is not on the "curriculum" per se of any med school. If you do a rotation in a specialty where abortions are performed, I'm sure at most places without specific christian religious affiliation you can choose to learn it (as you might any procedure) or opt out, if a patient happens to come into the medical facility for such procedure. But it's not like there will be a class.

I mean during your OB/GYN rotations a MEDICAL SCHOOL should teach students about abortions and how a previous abortion may be affecting a current patients' health. Even if they are not performing abortions, their students should be informed and knowledgable about the procedure...
 
NapeSpikes said:
Uh huh. Now how are those two statements not contradictory?

First part of it = my opinion

and next part = it is really your opinion

I really hate explaining on the internet...it's just like CRACK!!! makes you feel the dumbness of addiction 🙂
 
betty7 said:
As in...certain opinions will be taken by the school in regard to ethical discussions in the first two years. What I was most concerned about though was how if affected years 3 and 4: the affiliated hospitals for NYMC do not perform abortions therefore if you do your clinical rotations there you will have no route to learn about this procedure.

I'm guessing, but I suspect it's pretty conceivable that you won't necessarilly get exposed to this procedure even at a school with no ideological objections. Rotations are short, and most abortions are not performed at teaching hospitals.
 
Gerrymandering said:
First part of it = my opinion

and next part = it is really your opinion

😕 What the heck? How is that my opinion? You wrote both of those statements.

Oh right, I must be one of those liberals you have to speak out against. 🙄
 
NapeSpikes said:
😕 What the heck? How is that my opinion? You wrote both of those statements.

Oh right, I must be one of those liberals you have to speak out against. 🙄

chill, i was trying to voice my opinion and saying that it's really your take (with immature emphasis)...so i aint gonna say anymore!! i really need to watch what i post because people might misinterpret what i say...once again, sorry bro for any miscommunication
 
Gerrymandering said:
chill, i was trying to voice my opinion and saying that it's really your take (with immature emphasis)...


No worries, I'm cool with pro-lifers, too. I just really have no idea what you are saying in your posts sometimes. 🙁 i.e., See bold. 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NapeSpikes said:
No worries, I'm cool with pro-lifers. I just really have no idea what you are saying in your posts sometimes. 🙁 i.e., See bold. 😕

yeah, means that i immaturely posted my opinion
 
You're not going to learn how to do abortions at any med school, regardless of ideology. At the very most you may see 1 or 2. If that is something you want to do, you will learn how during residency. Just like basically anything else in med school (you don't learn how to "do" surgery, you just see some).
 
Gerrymandering said:
:laugh: If you look at it that way, then i agree with you...I thought you were another liberal around here so i had to speak up! sorry...
Yup. It's a rule that in order to be a liberal, she must get at least 3 abortions; or for a male liberal, knock the woman up 3 times so she can get abortions.
 
An abortion uses basically the same procedure as a D&C, right? Which means you'll see it in ob/gyn regardless, most likely.
 
No agreeing nor disagreeing with either side, but if you disagree with learning a medical procedure based on idealogy, then I suppose if you choose to attend any med school that is based on a religion which is against blood transfusions than you should not learn to do those either? Even though it is a medical procedure?

This is medicine. If you *choose* to not do certain procedures later, that's up to you. But does that mean you shouldn't learn to do a procedure at all? What if it is necessary at a later date to save a patient's life and you didn't learn it?
 
I think a lot of medical schools opt not to teach abortions in order to avoid any sort of political debate and focus on teaching medicine. I'm pro-choice, but I have no problem with this policy as long as there are enough physicians trained in abortions to meet the demand. I think that OB/GYN's usually perform them, and I assume that once you began an OB/GYN residency, you would learn how to competently perform an abortion, thus failing to address it in med school is not a big deal.
 
Mantis05753 said:
I think a lot of medical schools opt not to teach abortions in order to avoid any sort of political debate and focus on teaching medicine. I'm pro-choice, but I have no problem with this policy as long as there are enough physicians trained in abortions to meet the demand. I think that OB/GYN's usually perform them, and I assume that once you began an OB/GYN residency, you would learn how to competently perform an abortion, thus failing to address it in med school is not a big deal.

so then if one does an OB/GYN rotation at one of the aforementioned religiously-affiliated schools, will the procedure of abortions be taught?
 
FenderHM said:
Learning about abortions DOES NOT MEAN ABORTION IS BEING CONDONED! Think doctors should learn how cocaine affects the brain to treat ODs? DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE CONDONING COCAINE USE!

Wow...

Right on!
 
Vizsla said:
so then if one does an OB/GYN rotation at one of the aforementioned religiously-affiliated schools, will the procedure of abortions be taught?
I think I remember seeing that the med students for choice at some schools set-up shadowing in an abortion clinic for those interested.
 
Ummm...as far as NYMC goes - they are affiliated with a few Catholic institutions (St. Vincent's, Our Lady of Mercy) but also with some non-religious hospitals: Danbury, Westchester Medical Center, Metropolitan Hospital. I'm sure that abortions are performed at the non-religious ones, and it's definitely possible to do your Ob-gyn rotation there.
 
for those "pro-life," can't you opt out of abortion cases during rotations "for personal reasons," the way you can opt out of frog dissections in the 8th grade? (please don't kick my ass for asking a lame question, but it's just a thought)
 
ms1finally said:
Ummm...as far as NYMC goes - they are affiliated with a few Catholic institutions (St. Vincent's, Our Lady of Mercy) but also with some non-religious hospitals: Danbury, Westchester Medical Center, Metropolitan Hospital. I'm sure that abortions are performed at the non-religious ones, and it's definitely possible to do your Ob-gyn rotation there.

You can learn as much or as little as you want in your OB rotation. Jeez, where do all these ignorant threads come from.... (directed at OP)

NYMC'07
 
ms1finally said:
Ummm...as far as NYMC goes - they are affiliated with a few Catholic institutions (St. Vincent's, Our Lady of Mercy) but also with some non-religious hospitals: Danbury, Westchester Medical Center, Metropolitan Hospital. I'm sure that abortions are performed at the non-religious ones, and it's definitely possible to do your Ob-gyn rotation there.
Yes thats what they said at the interview. If you want to see that sort of stuf then do a rotation at a non-catholic hospital (which there are about 10 of them). Problem solved.