Teaching Credential and GAP Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am in my 4th year right now and am planning on applying to medical school in June. I will be taking a GAP year after completing my BS and am thinking about possibly completing a teachers credential program during this year. My UG offers a special program for teaching interns in which you can become a full time teacher under contract of the district and complete your teachers credential at the same time within one year.

I am going to be supporting myself after graduation and really enjoy teaching( I have alot of past tutoring experiences) However, I am 100% set on medicine and just wanted to get some thoughts on this option.

I would be able to make money and do something productive during my GAP year while also getting a degree that could help me if i dont get into medical school. I just dont want my passion for medicine to be put into question. Any advice would help!

Members don't see this ad.

So I am in my 4th year right now and am planning on applying to medical school in June. I will be taking a GAP year after completing my BS and am thinking about possibly completing a teachers credential program during this year. My UG offers a special program for teaching interns in which you can become a full time teacher under contract of the district and complete your teachers credential at the same time within one year.

I am going to be supporting myself after graduation and really enjoy teaching( I have alot of past tutoring experiences) However, I am 100% set on medicine and just wanted to get some thoughts on this option.

I would be able to make money and do something productive during my GAP year while also getting a degree that could help me if i dont get into medical school. I just dont want my passion for medicine to be put into question. Any advice would help!
Being gainfully employed during a gap year is a good thing. No one will argue that you chose to get paid for a teaching gig instead of a position in healthcare or research. And Teaching experience is something that benefits a med school application, as, after all, that's what most docs do all day with their patients.

But what about taking time off from the classroom to attend interviews? Mightn't that be an issue?

@Catalystik That was one concern that I had, the other option that would be less of a commitment would be to substitute teach that way I have some control over my schedule. Plus the district I would work at pays $125/day so its not too bad.