Teaching pharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GreyFox2002

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone here has or knows anyone who ever taught introductory pharmacology at the college/university level? I'm a new grad who has an interest in teaching; I'm not doing a residency. I know that strikes me out from teaching at the professional school level, like pharmacy or MD programs, but I would love to teach pharmacology as a general science course, or even for nursing students or paramedic training courses. If you have any input that would be great.
 
I was wondering if anyone here has or knows anyone who ever taught introductory pharmacology at the college/university level? I'm a new grad who has an interest in teaching; I'm not doing a residency. I know that strikes me out from teaching at the professional school level, like pharmacy or MD programs, but I would love to teach pharmacology as a general science course, or even for nursing students or paramedic training courses. If you have any input that would be great.

I'm sure there are places that you can teach an intro level pharmacology course to students but the pay won't be nearly as good as a pharmacist. Myself, I don't care because it's something that I would enjoy.
 
Hey man, first off good job on exploring another avenue of pharmacy that isn't pursued much around here. It's actually a very fulfilling position, and having a prof who actually wants to teach the material is always a win/win for students and profs alike.

It doesn't seem like many people here have ever taught or want to (e.g. WVU's largely bitter experience with academia), but I've personally loved it.

I've had opportunity to teach pharmacology to 2nd year pharmacy students at a university here in Canada.

General advice would be get to know the people currently teaching it. Make an appointment to see them, take them out for a coffee if they're a former prof, etc., and show them your interest. I was fortunate in that a former prof of mine who knew I had a keen interest in pharmacology (I volunteered in his lab), was very generous and basically let me have free reign on a number of lectures. Getting to know them and _Volunteering_ to help out with a few lectures with get your foot in the door and invaluable experience. Then, when you apply for your own course you'll have that (plus a great LOR hopefully) on your resume.

Feel free to PM with more specifics (I don't usually get too detailed on public forums) but I'd be very happy to share some ideas/lectures etc., with you and speak about it in more detail.

I'm actually leaving the profession but I still hope I'll be able to give a few lectures in my free time. Again, props to you for going down a road less traveled but in my experience a road much more rewarding, intellectually and professionally. Perhaps not financially, but to each his own.

-Requiem
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FWIW, my undergrad college offered pharmacology as an upper level biology elective and was also taught to the nursing students. We had a PhD in pharmacology teaching it though. Just saying that I've seen spots for this outside of MD/PharmD programs.
 
FWIW, my undergrad college offered pharmacology as an upper level biology elective and was also taught to the nursing students. We had a PhD in pharmacology teaching it though. Just saying that I've seen spots for this outside of MD/PharmD programs.

It's definitely a fulfulling experience. I tutor a lot to a fairly large group and I can say that I enjoy it more than working at a retail chain even if I get paid half as much. Something that I am definitely considering doing on the side if I don't get a part-time pharmacy job if some local college will take me. :laugh:
 
I actually taught a course of pharmacology at a community college. It was a lot of work writing those weekly quizzes and exams. If it was up to me, there wouldn't be so many quizzes. Writing good questions is no easy task. I got into it because of the connection, but I guess you could go talk to the Dean or shoot that person an email and go from there. I really enjoyed it and will probably look into it again soon. I did it for free and don't mind doing it for free again.