Tech geeks: laptop discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seahawk

Nothing to do here
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing my laptop shopping for dental school.

Anybody gotten hands on with any of these Win 8 convertibles yet? Opinions?

I am really feeling the Thinkpad Helix...Going to cost an ungodly amount but looks to be one of the best laptops ever.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe its nota good time to buy win8 convertible products..(ex. high heat generation, short battery life)
i would wait for the 2nd gen to come out

Well this is how my setup will be like in lectures....

I am using Galaxy note 10.1 with Logitech Bluetooth keyboard

It gets the typing done as fast as what i type in my computer so i think itll be ok

You can also open pdf files to write on them using applications like ezPDF

I have been reading pdf versions of Textbooks and annotating them as i go.

I think its a very handy setup if your looking for something worth while...

I believe its nota good time to buy win8 convertible products..(ex. high heat generation, short battery life)
i would wait for the 2nd gen to come out

What about the Helix, claiming 10 hours + life with an i7 and good heat dissipation?

Getting a laptop too. For basically the same price while doing some upgrade configurations on both laptops I can get the macbook air 13" or macbook pro retina 13". Thoughts?

Getting a laptop too. For basically the same price while doing some upgrade configurations on both laptops I can get the macbook air 13" or macbook pro retina 13". Thoughts?

Depends on what you want really. Speed? Ultra portability? High res screen? etc...

I would suggest neither, get a PC that has all of the above for cheaper =).

Depends on what you want really. Speed? Ultra portability? High res screen? etc...

I would suggest neither, get a PC that has all of the above for cheaper =).

I would but i've had a pc for so long i'm tired of windows. Anyway, both laptops are portable with a weight a difference of like 0.5 lbs. The high screen res screen is nice though and retina pro is faster too. Tough decision since the air is pretty cool too.

I'm interested in this as well. Originally I thought is either get a tablet or a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop. But after playing with my moms new acer s7, I hate Windows 8 with a passion.

Sent from my Desire HD using SDN Mobile

the helix looks legit. I want best buy to have it on demo.

Doing my laptop shopping for dental school.

Anybody gotten hands on with any of these Win 8 convertibles yet? Opinions?

I am really feeling the Thinkpad Helix...Going to cost an ungodly amount but looks to be one of the best laptops ever.

No one can give you a proper recommendation until you actually tell us what you intend to use it for. Are you just going to use it for school? Are you going play modern video games on it? Rendering? Do you actually need the tablet + dock functionality? etc... Otherwise you're just selecting blindly.

Last edited:
I meant the helix, early spring release. Too expensive for what anyone needs anyways when compared to other options.

10 hr battery life claim is in full laptop mode

tablet itself won't last more than 5-6 hrs. (that translates to 4hrs in real world usage)

i would wait for tablets with tegra 4 chip

I have a full out rig (2 24" monitors, naga, siberias, CMstorm quickfire tk, etc.. etc..) so I don't need this for gaming.

This is going to be my school stuff only machine. But I still want it to be quick. After looking at Win 8 I feel like it would be stupid without a touchscreen..I feel like a touchscreen would be stupid without a convertible mode or at least something like the Yoga does, and I feel like that would be stupid without wacom/finepoint. Helix is the first thing I have seen with all of this. It also has amazing specs.

Macbook air with retina display is coming out. So you get great portability and screen res.

For me i will be using my trusty vaio Z series :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

there's always going to be a better option coming out in a year. if your attitude is "wait for x", by the time x comes out you'll want y or z.

wait until summer and then choose the one that meets your needs best out of the options available

I have a full out rig (2 24" monitors, naga, siberias, CMstorm quickfire tk, etc.. etc..) so I don't need this for gaming.

This is going to be my school stuff only machine. But I still want it to be quick. After looking at Win 8 I feel like it would be stupid without a touchscreen..I feel like a touchscreen would be stupid without a convertible mode or at least something like the Yoga does, and I feel like that would be stupid without wacom/finepoint. Helix is the first thing I have seen with all of this. It also has amazing specs.

Actually, its specs are incredibly mediocre given the price point. You're MUCH better off finding a regular tablet with its corresponding dock / bluetooth than buying a Yoga.

Actually, its specs are incredibly mediocre given the price point. You're MUCH better off finding a regular tablet with its corresponding dock / bluetooth than buying a Yoga.

Again I am not looking for something that is a tablet first and a laptop second.

The reason for the Helix's high price is it's screen/design. But a 2ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, 10hours+ battery life....I don't think that is incredibly mediocre at all...Not for what it is. Now sure you can get a 1TB hdd, 32gb ram, 3ghz i7 etc.....but it's going to be a beast of a machine, I am looking for a lightweight ultraportable type thing.

Again I am not looking for something that is a tablet first and a laptop second.

The reason for the Helix's high price is it's screen/design. But a 2ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, 10hours+ battery life....I don't think that is incredibly mediocre at all...Not for what it is. Now sure you can get a 1TB hdd, 32gb ram, 3ghz i7 etc.....but it's going to be a beast of a machine, I am looking for a lightweight ultraportable type thing.

I guess what I'm not understanding is if all you're going to use it for is school (notes, reading PDFs / PPT, wikipedia, google, etc...), you wouldn't actually need anything more than a tablet + dock. The reason these type of ultras exist is due to their operating environment and their ability to increase workplace productivity. However, you're not going to be using any of these features. In other words, given your uses, you wouldn't notice the difference between a laptop and a tablet. I also think you're mistaken if you think you can't find portability in a tablet + dock that is similar to a ultrabook.

no love for the yoga ?
it is a laptop first and a tablet second
and that orange is loveley