Tell me about therapeutics...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkyrx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have already had Therapeutics...

What is it like? I've talked to some people that actually say they think its a little easier than Pharmacology despite the amount of material being so much greater. How many exams did you have per semester?

Are there any books that you recommend? For example, I really got a lot of help from Lippincott's Pharmacology as it seemed to make the big picture easier to grasp. Are their similar study guide books for Therapeutics?

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Dipiro's Pharmacotherapy is good for the overview of treatment. Koda Kimble's Applied Therapeutics is great for application. I can't speak much about it because we have it on an integrated schedule.

pharmagirl said:
For those of you that have already had Therapeutics...

What is it like? I've talked to some people that actually say they think its a little easier than Pharmacology despite the amount of material being so much greater. How many exams did you have per semester?

Are there any books that you recommend? For example, I really got a lot of help from Lippincott's Pharmacology as it seemed to make the big picture easier to grasp. Are their similar study guide books for Therapeutics?

:)

I thought therapeutics was a bit easier since after you start building a knowledge base in disease states and its different treatments you start gaining the ability to piece everything together and come to an answer to a therapeutics question through the use of logic. You can't really do this for P'cology as most of it is memorization.

Dipiro's pharmacotherapy is a good book to have. I'd also get the smaller handbook too as a quick reference guide.

And oh, we had 4 exams per semester in therapeutics.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have therapeutics for six semesters, but from here on out it's application of knowledge. Our book was Koda Kimble, but the class before us used DiPiro and the class after us has been switched back to DiPiro.

We had 3 exams per semester. There were about 900 pages of notes per exam, plus the 3rd exam was cumulative. I liked it better than pharmacology because there was application of knowledge. It had more memorization than pharmacology because we had to know strength and common dosages where in pharmacology we just had to know drug name and mechanism.

This coming semester, we're only given a patient and their complaint. We'll have to take patient history, diagnose, prescribe, etc. I'm planning on using a PDA so I don't have to lug around Koda Kimble.