Tell Me About Yourself (without checking off your resume)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For open file interviews:
I'm struggling with this question because I've received conflicting feedback. Some say I shouldn't include clinical activities, volunteer, etc from my resume in my answer. I heard that interviewers want to know other things about you other than your qualifications.

On the other hand, I've received advice that you should insert your research, clinical activities, and volunteer to start with a talking point for the interview.

What would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my 2c: Include some things that are not on your application (I have two dogs, I like hobbies, yada yada). Also include what got you interested in medicine in the first place (this is hopefully in or related to your PS, thats okay). Don't talk about everything you've learned from your experiences, medical or non-medical. Your goal should be to conversationally introduce some strings and let your interviewer choose which strings to pull on. Just what I've read and heard - fellow applicant here! Good luck

How much is too much? Ex: 3 clinical/volunteer/research --> and everything else interesting facts about me?

Also, I'm hoping to save the whole "why medicine?" answer when the question comes up.

Generally, are responses supposed to be under 30 seconds? I'm a bit worried since I tend to give a lot of details (and therefore could drone on a bit).