Tell me straight! What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuxedosheep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.68
MCAT: 22 (second try; was sick that day, was scoring 24-27 on my practice exams prior)
URM (Hispanic)
Research experience
200+ hours of volunteering
100+ hours of shadowing/medical field volunteering
Year of leadership/mentoring at university
Mediocre LORs
Currently working at a podiatrist office

I applied to MD/DO schools in Texas. I am also looking into Podiatry schools, specifically Midwestern. I would prefer to go to TCOM or Texas Tech.

What are my chances? Advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Too low for MD, especially if that's a second try 22. URM status irrelevant, plenty of Hispanic individuals in Texas with much better stats than that. The nail in the coffin is the "mediocre LOR's". You would need a really solid application outside of that MCAT in order to attempt to make up for it, but the rest of your application is incredibly mediocre.

My guess is probably way too low for TCOM as well, anyone more informed on DO chime in there?

Honestly I'm not sure how to advise you. I don't know if it's worth it to study again and try the MCAT again and be a re-applicant next year, and try to build some strong mentoring relationships for better LOR's. At the same time, if Medicine is your only passion then you've gotta do what you've gotta do. If you have other interests, I'd pursue them in the meantime so that you have a good backup plan in the event that this (and future) application season is unsuccessful. Additionally, if you're going to apply in the future, you need to significantly broaden your application to more DO schools (at this point most other MD schools would be a waste of your money) and to the Puerto Rico MD schools (if you are fluent in Spanish).

According to AAMC statistics on the GPA and MCAT grid for Hispanic applicants, you have just over a 60% chance of getting into an allopathic medical school (Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2013factstable25-1.pdf). However, I agree with the above poster that your mediocre LORs are worrisome. The rest of your application looks pretty solid though, and if you have a strong personal statement that will go a long way.

If you have to reapply, continue to improve your application over the next year and engage in meaningful activities. If you can retake the MCAT again and score 24+, you're at about 80%. If you can do this and put together some good LORs from people who know you well, I think you have an excellent shot of accomplishing your stated goals.

Do some soul searching and figure out exactly what you want to do and pursue it with conviction.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply to 15 or more DO schools, mainly the new schools and low tier schools, you would have a chance for a DO school acceptance.

Thanks for all the input. I am debating on retaking, and in the meantime, I will apply to podiatry schools and continue to engage in meaningful activities.

Retake MCAT. And the next time you're sick when you're taking a career-defining high stakes exam, make a smart choice and void the exam.

Hi everyone,
Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.68
MCAT: 22 (second try; was sick that day, was scoring 24-27 on my practice exams prior)
URM (Hispanic)
Research experience
200+ hours of volunteering
100+ hours of shadowing/medical field volunteering
Year of leadership/mentoring at university
Mediocre LORs
Currently working at a podiatrist office

I applied to MD/DO schools in Texas. I am also looking into Podiatry schools, specifically Midwestern. I would prefer to go to TCOM or Texas Tech.

What are my chances? Advice is appreciated.