Tell Me This Isn't Easy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thereandbackagain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year vet student, completely supporting myself and paying for school by myself. I don't have any help from family members, be it financial or otherwise. Since school started, a few weeks ago, I am really finding it difficult to not constantly feel overwhelmed. Between studying for exams, assignments with deadlines, dealing with keeping my car running, applying for externships, trying to make money, dealing with medical issues...addressing errands that I need to address just to keep my life afloat, like paying bills- everything takes way too long to sort out and it's all valuable time I could be using to get ahead in school. Add that to the 8 hours of class we have every day and the exam once a week and I am beside myself with how other people manage this. I try not to compare myself or my situation but it's difficult when you have classmates who's parents are footing the bill, or who's mom came over and cleaned this or that- I can't keep my room tidy for more than a couple days! I don't want this to become a massive pity party for myself but please someone tell me I am not the only one who is completely on their own in school that feels this way.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a third year vet student, completely supporting myself and paying for school by myself. I don't have any help from family members, be it financial or otherwise. Since school started, a few weeks ago, I am really finding it difficult to not constantly feel overwhelmed. Between studying for exams, assignments with deadlines, dealing with keeping my car running, applying for externships, trying to make money, dealing with medical issues...addressing errands that I need to address just to keep my life afloat, like paying bills- everything takes way too long to sort out and it's all valuable time I could be using to get ahead in school.

You're not alone. Most people ARE completely supporting themselves in vet school. Honestly, you're completely on your own in life.

You sound like you're prioritizing school over life by saying "valuable time I could be using to get ahead in school". Stop, do not pass Go, do not collect $100. Life is ALWAYS more important. Trust someone who has gone through the system and felt the burnout that happens when you prioritize school over basic self-care. You sound like you're beginning to catastrophize - don't do that. Take a deep breath. All of the things you listed are things that I dealt with in vet school (I also was totally on my own financially and emotionally, worked 1-2 part time jobs all through school, was prepping for a residency application and had to do externships every breaks, was dealing with chronic mental illness, lived on my own, etc) and I made the mistake of putting my health and basic "life" care at a lower level of importance than school. You know what happened? I burned out and almost dropped out in my third year.

Add that to the 8 hours of class we have every day and the exam once a week and I am beside myself with how other people manage this. I try not to compare myself or my situation but it's difficult when you have classmates who's parents are footing the bill, or who's mom came over and cleaned this or that- I can't keep my room tidy for more than a couple days! I don't want this to become a massive pity party for myself but please someone tell me I am not the only one who is completely on their own in school that feels this way.

And remember, everyone is fighting their own battles. Just because someone is getting financial help doesn't mean they might have a whole 'nother set of problems. They or a close family member might have a chronic illness, physical or mental. They might be deeply in debt already. They might be in an abusive relationship. They might have a learning disability. They might have an eating disorder. They may be alcoholics or addicted to painkillers. Etc etc etc. Don't assume that everyone's life is automatically better due to a single "advantage" they may have over you. This isn't to minimize your suffering, but instead to remind you that you are not alone and to curb unwarranted jealousy.

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks for your reply- I completely agree with you. I know better than to assume everyone else's life is perfect- some times I just need more reminding than others. I don't wish struggles on anyone, but everyone's got 'em. I appreciate you sharing your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right in the same boat, girl! I keep thinking "they said second year was the hardest, what were they talking about??"- as exhausting as it is, having a couple really close friends has been a life saver for me (they probably get tired of hearing me vent, but they take it like a champ!). There are so many things piling up (especially ridiculous things like trying to do anything during normal business hours -- when are we ever not in class during those hours?) and it's sometimes hard to keep your head above water. Like WhtsThFrequency said though, life >>> school. It's okay to sacrifice that one quiz to just go for a walk. I really struggle with scheduling my time efficiently, especially studying for these classes I'm not interested in (just tryin' to be a SA vet and having to learn food animal info as well...), but just taking a step back helps.

My other vice is to compare myself to others- and it's just not worth it. Resonating again with WhtsThFrequency said, you never know what's going on in their life. Even if you know they got a 95 on that last test you failed, they may have so many other things going on that you just don't know about. Your best competition is yourself. You can't be doing it just to beat someone else, or to make your professor happy. You have to find what will keep *you* going.

Best of luck on everything, you got this!!! Never be afraid to seek someone out for help <3

Reactions: 1 users