Telling an MD school that I've been accepted to a DO school if asked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwsheat313

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an MD interview coming up soon (Vermont) and have already been accepted to a DO school (NYCOM). I have heard that some schools ask if you have been accepted/interviewed elsewhere. If they were to ask me that question, would it hurt my chances to tell them that I have been accepted to a DO school if that is the only other school I have heard from? Are they going to question my motives for applying to DO schools, as NYCOM questioned my motives to apply to MD schools? This is not meant to start a flame war or anything like that. I'm just curious what you guys think based on your experiences because I'm not sure what the general view on this kind of thing is. Has anybody done this before?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would just be honest, but then go on to explain why you are applying and interviewing at their school.

I think your fear of having to explain your motives is overblown. I did not apply both MD/DO, so maybe I'm wrong about that. However, in every interview, I was asked about other interviews/acceptances. There were never many follow-up questions. It really just seemed like small-talk as we walked to the interview room.

I think DO schools are far more likely to question why you'd apply both (as they want to tout the 'DO philosophy' and select students accordingly - I guess), but I highly doubt the MD school would ask.

However, if you're asked, I'd answer honestly. The worst thing you can do is lie to an ADCOM, especially in a situation that would have absolutely no weight on whether or not they accept you.

Additionally, if they did question 'why DO,' you could just say that you're end goal is to become a physician, and you want to maximize your chances of doing so, so you applied to both. I really, really don't think they'll care. The MD v DO wars don't seem to extend too far outside of SDN :smuggrin:

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, it does. I have shadowed and know various MDs who, unfortunately, are very anti DO. If one of them was interviewing you and you said you also applied DO I can promise you that it would decrease your chances. Not saying its right, its just the way it is.

Sadly, it does. I have shadowed and know various MDs who, unfortunately, are very anti DO. If one of them was interviewing you and you said you also applied DO I can promise you that it would decrease your chances. Not saying its right, its just the way it is.

LOLOL ... just all around lol.

LOLOL ... just all around lol.

Mock all you want. My experience is limited to the midwest, so it could be different elsewhere, but here I have repeatedly noticed a bias. I imagine you are an osteopathic student, and while you can LOLOL all you want, it doesn't change the fact. I am sorry it is this way though, for osteopathic medicine has a truly unique and interesting philosophy.

Mock all you want. My experience is limited to the midwest, so it could be different elsewhere, but here I have repeatedly noticed a bias. I imagine you are an osteopathic student, and while you can LOLOL all you want, it doesn't change the fact. I am sorry it is this way though, for osteopathic medicine has a truly unique and interesting philosophy.

Chris,

I'm not mocking you, but I'm saying that we need to look at a few pieces of information here before jumping to a conclusion that can affect something the OP does in an interview:

1. The number of physicians you've interacted with here, is likely a pretty small number (relatively speaking). I'm currently attending a DO school in the Midwest, and I can tell you that for every n=1 experience you have with a MD who is biased against DOs or whatever (which I have a hard time believing in the first place) I can quote 3-5 situations in clinical situations where I see MD/DOs working alongside each other with absolutely no bias whatsoever.

2. I'm still uncertain what you mean by a 'bias.' No offense, but as a pre-medical student shadowing or discussing with a few attendings, you probably aren't going to experience much truthful insight into the way they interact with the health service system on a daily basis, so making bold claims from anecdotal, questionable experiences is a bit much.

3. I truthfully hope an individual with this type of bias - toward anything, wouldn't sit on an admissions committee. To judge an applicant for applying to DO schools is extremely harsh, and even if this particular MD despised DOs, he or she would be evaluating the student, not their own issues, and this type of judgmental mindset would be particularly disturbing in an ADCOM type setting.

I personally know DO students who were open about MD and DO acceptances at both interviews (respectively) and go into both. In my experience, being open about something like this with the ADCOMS will not hurt you, BUT lying about ANYTHING and getting caught is viewed as a big character flaw and will affect your chances at admission.

Chris,

I'm not mocking you, but I'm saying that we need to look at a few pieces of information here before jumping to a conclusion that can affect something the OP does in an interview:

1. The number of physicians you've interacted with here, is likely a pretty small number (relatively speaking). I'm currently attending a DO school in the Midwest, and I can tell you that for every n=1 experience you have with a MD who is biased against DOs or whatever (which I have a hard time believing in the first place) I can quote 3-5 situations in clinical situations where I see MD/DOs working alongside each other with absolutely no bias whatsoever.

2. I'm still uncertain what you mean by a 'bias.' No offense, but as a pre-medical student shadowing or discussing with a few attendings, you probably aren't going to experience much truthful insight into the way they interact with the health service system on a daily basis, so making bold claims from anecdotal, questionable experiences is a bit much.

3. I truthfully hope an individual with this type of bias - toward anything, wouldn't sit on an admissions committee. To judge an applicant for applying to DO schools is extremely harsh, and even if this particular MD despised DOs, he or she would be evaluating the student, not their own issues, and this type of judgmental mindset would be particularly disturbing in an ADCOM type setting.

I personally know DO students who were open about MD and DO acceptances at both interviews (respectively) and go into both. In my experience, being open about something like this with the ADCOMS will not hurt you, BUT lying about ANYTHING and getting caught is viewed as a big character flaw and will affect your chances at admission.

Well said, I will acquiesce.

I'm not in the midwest but my experiences and my opinion track with this.

OP, you're stuck. As already noted, you should always respond truthfully, so it is what it is. I wouldn't sweat it, such questions do typically come up as small talk anyway.

After some date in the not too-distant future (I forget what it is), the schools can see through AMCAS where you have allo offers so they don't actually need to ask if they think they really need to know.

This is my first MD interview, so obviously I'm a little nervous about possible questions that might come up, especially because I have not heard back from any other schools besides the DO school and this one (probably because of my slightly below average MCAT for MD).

Nonetheless, thanks for the quick responses, everyone!

He learned how to use a thesaurus?

Or perhaps he reads, or majored in english or classics. Your lack of knowledge does not warrant the condemnation of others. :)