Telling friends/siblings who didn't get in themselves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bito42

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I got in somewhere (yay!), and everyone in my immediate family knows except my brother, who applied about 3 years ago and didn't get in. He's been happy for me to have gotten a lot of interviews through the process, but I would never tell him when I got an interview, only when he called my cell and i was half way across the nation! :) Now I feel bad telling him about my acceptance, too. Anyone else in a similar place with friends/family??

Members don't see this ad.

Bito42 said:
I just found out I got in somewhere (yay!), and everyone in my immediate family knows except my brother, who applied about 3 years ago and didn't get in. He's been happy for me to have gotten a lot of interviews through the process, but I would never tell him when I got an interview, only when he called my cell and i was half way across the nation! :) Now I feel bad telling him about my acceptance, too. Anyone else in a similar place with friends/family??
Congrats on your acceptance! If your brother's desire to become a doctor was stronger than his desire to not reapply then there's a good chance he'd be in your shoes right now. You've worked hard to be where you are. I wouldn't flaunt it in front of him but at the same time, there's not need to be actively trying to hide your acceptance.

I have a good college friend who isn't doing very well in the process right now. Often, when we run into each other, he greets me with, "Any more interviews?" Usually, the honest answer is yes. I wish I could celebrate with him, but I usually just try to focus on telling my art history major and english major friends about what's going on.

If I were your brother I would be pissed at your patronization. He's your brother; he'll be happy for you! It would suck to hear about the most exciting moments in my siblings' lives only when I call them. Trust me, whether it's your brother or your friend passing by, they've already beaten themselves up and have probably gotten over it. It would really suck though to feel like you're being left out of things because people are afraid of hurting your feelings. That would make them feel really bad. You've done great things! Your brother will be proud of you! Tell everyone! You're not gloating by just telling them exciting news.

-dope-