***Temple Class of 2013***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Lyss

Professional Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to Temple next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to Temple next year! I was EDP so I'm really psyched. August seems sooooo far away! Is Temple where you're definitely going DRLyss?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to Temple next year! I was EDP so I'm really psyched. August seems sooooo far away! Is Temple where you're definitely going DRLyss?
congrats doscentavos! August seems miles away but enjoy your time now while you can!

I'm not 100% sure right now, but right now there is a 75% chance I will end up at Temple.

Good chance I'm going here as well, since I was accepted!!

Woo Hoo! I got an acceptance last month! :D Not sure where I'm going yet though.

Does anyone know if Temple does a second-look day? :oops:

chances are that i'll end up at temple too... but how do you decide??? :confused: i need to send in deposits for a few schools in the near future and sometimes i just want to send all of them in just so i can delay the decision for a few more months...

Yes, but that comes in April.

I'd recommend going to the 2nd Look day if you're on the fence about Temple. I'm an MII at Temple and was definitely iffy about the school til I visited again and talked to some of the students.

Good luck!

to the current med students: why temple over the other schools you were accepted to?

If you get accepted to the Philadelphia Hospital network, is that going to still be true when your clinical years come? Or will there be a lottery?

If you get accepted to the Philadelphia Hospital network, is that going to still be true when your clinical years come? Or will there be a lottery?

No more lottery, whatever says on your letter is where you are spending your rotations. Congrats

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody know when Temple sends out info about financial aid and scholarships?

I also was wondering the same as ACGator:) If any current Temple students could give some insight that would be great. Of course, reasons why one school is chosen over another are often student-specific, but any info may help!

Thanks!

second look day will be friday 3/20 this year. im going for sure... is anybody else going?

and this thread is dead... i really hope it's not representative of the cohesiveness or enthusiasm of the students there :scared:

second look day will be friday 3/20 this year. im going for sure... is anybody else going?

and this thread is dead... i really hope it's not representative of the cohesiveness or enthusiasm of the students there :scared:

I just got an email inviting me to second look day. This is the first I have heard of an acceptance from Temple. Little weird, but I will take it. I will be there on the 20th.

so even though I know I'm definitely going to Temple next year, I'll be there on the 20th!!

I don't think this thread is indicative of anything negative about Temple's class of 2013! Look forward to seeing you both there!

I just got an email inviting me to second look day. This is the first I have heard of an acceptance from Temple. Little weird, but I will take it. I will be there on the 20th.

same thing happened to me...however i will not be able to attend because I'll be in north carolina visiting college buddies

looking forward to moving to philadelphia

Hi everyone. I guess I will join this thread as I was just accepted last week. I am really excited about attending next year! Anybody have any idea what they are going to do about their living situations next year?

anyone find out about housing? for people who got multiple acceptances, why temple?

so living situations... argh! i'm not going to think about it until i find someone/people i want to live with. i don't want to put the first/last/depost down by myself. i still don't know whether i would want to live in center city or in the manayunk/roxborough area tho. what are y'all thinkin?

I am just going to ask around this Friday to see where current med students are living and what they recommend.

I have been accepted to a couple of schools but I am pretty sure I will be attending Temple for a few reasons:

1) Small class size compared to other Philly schools.
2) Under served area that will surely present many interesting cases.
3) Every student and faculty member I have talked to loves Temple.
4) Brand new building with state of the art facilities...I'm pumped about this.

Any comments or other reasons anyone?

Congrats guys! :thumbup: Temple is an amazing school and I love it here. For those of you going to second look, you'll have tons of time to ask current students questions about living arrangements and what not. There is a summer blog that goes up that gives you all the details you'd ever want to know...so for now don't stress it. Enjoy your remaining pre-med days! :D

Congrats guys! :thumbup: Temple is an amazing school and I love it here. For those of you going to second look, you'll have tons of time to ask current students questions about living arrangements and what not. There is a summer blog that goes up that gives you all the details you'd ever want to know...so for now don't stress it. Enjoy your remaining pre-med days! :D

What should we be wearing to this seonc look thing? Any ideas. I'm sick of the interview suit.

I haven't seen the schedule for activities that they have planned for you guys but I'm sure you won't be expected to wear business suits. I think it would be appropriate to be in business casual attire for the information session(s) and of course the social activities are casual. If anyone has any questions that they may not feel comfortable expressing publicly, feel free to PM me!

I am just going to ask around this Friday to see where current med students are living and what they recommend.

I have been accepted to a couple of schools but I am pretty sure I will be attending Temple for a few reasons:

1) Small class size compared to other Philly schools.
2) Under served area that will surely present many interesting cases.
3) Every student and faculty member I have talked to loves Temple.
4) Brand new building with state of the art facilities...I'm pumped about this.

Any comments or other reasons anyone?

alumni i've talked to have nothing but good things to say about temple... well-known school... close to home... BRAND NEW MED SCHOOL BUILDING

What should we be wearing to this seonc look thing? Any ideas. I'm sick of the interview suit.

haha i was gonna ask the same question about what to wear... since nobody knows i'll call tomorrow and let you all know what i find out.

happy st. patty's day :luck:

...so who's going to create the facebook group...:highfive: :laugh:

so apparently a lot of people have been calling and asking the same question... and the answer is "casual". not business casual... but casual.

im sure that somebody will show up in a suit anyway... which might be a bit out of place for D&B afterwards :laugh:

Has anyone received a confirmation email about Friday? I received the initial email awhile back, and then another with the four questions, to which I replied, but only a student-host email since. Has anyone received an email about directions/parking that was mentioned? I'm not so concerned about those issues as making sure I don't show up unexpected and feel like a silly goose.

I didn't receive any kind of confirmation email either. If you confirmed and aren't on their list, I say the fault is not yours!

Friday's high is 47 :-( And can someone interpret the meaning of casual for me?

I didn't receive any kind of confirmation email either. If you confirmed and aren't on their list, I say the fault is not yours!

Friday's high is 47 :-( And can someone interpret the meaning of casual for me?

Yah are we wearing jeans to this or khackies? that is the real question

I think I am going to split the difference and wear cords with a long sweater. decision made.

Still no confirmation email. I guess they either aren't sending any or they don't want me there. :smuggrin:

So I just got the confirmation email & it says dress is casual, for everyone who's wondering what to wear. Yay jeans! lol :)

So after the second look, I am convinced that I am going to Temple in August!!

i was wondering what people thought about the area around temple. i heard it's pretty unsafe and i wanted to know how current students felt being there, especially late at night. also, to current students, is it a hassle commuting to class everyday? and what about competitiveness amongst the students? thanks!!

anyone that received their acceptance on the 11th get the background check from "Certiphi Screening, inc." yet?

I got the initial email about 2 weeks ago and the follow up CBC about 5 days after.

i was wondering what people thought about the area around temple. i heard it's pretty unsafe and i wanted to know how current students felt being there, especially late at night. also, to current students, is it a hassle commuting to class everyday? and what about competitiveness amongst the students? thanks!!

I'm an M1 currently and I can tell you that I have never felt unsafe on-campus. It's no secret that the area is not Pleasantville....so it's all about using common sense. That being said, people who decide to stay on campus late (after the sun sets) usually pair up with someone else staying late and they either walk to their cars or the subway together. No one walks around campus paranoid that something is going to happen to them...but we're aware that we can't be naive to our surroundings either. It's not a detriment to our learning. There are even students in my class that live in the area directly surrounding the school. I think that answered your question! Plus, with the new med school opening up, I'm sure more people will be sticking around to soak in that new med school smell. :love:

Commuting to class can be a hassle...or it doesn't have to be. It depends on where you live. If you live in Center City, not only will you have to deal with parking issues, you will have to get through the morning rush. If you live in the "suburbs", it can take you anywhere from 10-20 minutes...again, depending on where you choose to live. The closest area is East Falls (takes about 10 minutes). Manayunk and Roxborough are further out and take 15-20 minutes. There are people in my class who live at home and have commutes ranging from 30minutes to 1hour.

No matter what school you look at, you will always find a few of those super-competitive students. Fortunately, that's not really an issue here. Most people are very cooperative and willing to help out. There have been several occasions where I have asked people I don't usually talk to to help me clarify something. Most people are really just focused on doing the best they can and aren't really concerned with checking up on everyone else's grades. :)

anyone that received their acceptance on the 11th get the background check from "Certiphi Screening, inc." yet?

I got my acceptance on the 11th, and have only gotten an email from amcas notifying me that I would be getting the email from Certiphi. I haven't gotten the email from Certiphi yet....

thanks for the response!

i was also wondering how often are tests given? are the lectures videotaped?

Tests depend on the block but its usually 3weeks. 4weeks for longer blocks and 2weeks for shorter blocks.

Most lectures are videotaped and attendance is optional. Only lab/group sessions are required and not videotaped.

Hi Class of 2013. I'm an M1 too and I usually take the shuttle from my apartment to and from class. If I'm staying late I'll just drive back and park behind the school. The lighting directly around Kresge is really good. Actually, Temple has a couple different schools in the same area so the lighting is decent up to the Allegeny subway stop. I've known people to take the subway at night although I've never done it. And of course security is there to walk you to your car if you feel unsafe.

As far as our competitiveness goes, I think our class is awesone. The people who seem to know the most about a subject seem more than willing to help other people learn it. If someone finds a nice site to help with studying they share. So far, it's been a great experience.

The lectures are "class captured" so it's more like audio set to the power point than an actual video. The downside to that is if a prof writes on the board it isn't viewable on class capture.

For our second look, I wore dress pants. When I got there some people were wearing jeans and some slacks, so casual is probably fine.

The lectures are "class captured" so it's more like audio set to the power point than an actual video. The downside to that is if a prof writes on the board it isn't viewable on class capture.

Any chance that the lectures given in the new medical school building will be both video and audio captured?

They have yet to give us the details on whether or not the classes will be captured in the same manner or modified. I highly doubt they will be video recorded because it would honestly be a waste of time. I can only think of one professor that we've had that didn't use powerpoint presentations that were projected on the big screen. I doubt they'll invest in a program to benefit one professor when 98% of our lectures are projected. A video recorded lecture would be beneficial for the times that a laser pointer is used to point out specific details in a diagram but I personally have never had a problem following what they were talking about (sans laser pointer) when I chose to watch/listen to lectures at home.

They have yet to give us the details on whether or not the classes will be captured in the same manner or modified. I highly doubt they will be video recorded because it would honestly be a waste of time. I can only think of one professor that we've had that didn't use powerpoint presentations that were projected on the big screen. I doubt they'll invest in a program to benefit one professor when 98% of our lectures are projected. A video recorded lecture would be beneficial for the times that a laser pointer is used to point out specific details in a diagram but I personally have never had a problem following what they were talking about (sans laser pointer) when I chose to watch/listen to lectures at home.
so professors rarely write on the board?