Temple CST Post Bacc Program 2019 - 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTadvising

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw there was a thread for the LKSOM Post Bacc Program so thought I would start a specific thread for the College of Science and Technology program.

I see their interviews start in January so was curious to know if anyone has heard anything from them or knows much about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I just got an interview invite. One question I couldn't find answered through quick Google searches was which medical schools successful BCHS graduates went to after program completion. If you know of any please let me know! I'm planning on calling the program for more information if I can't find any online. Are you applying for the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea how strong the linkages are? I have a 3.6/515 and am looking at this program solely due to the linkages
those seem like good scores for a linkage to happen..

PCOM: sGPA of 3.25+ in Post-Bcac Program and a MCAT score above 50% percentile
SUNY Downstate: 3.3 sGPA minimum in undergrad, 3.5+ GPA in Post-Bacc, Minimum MCAT score of 509 with minimum subscores ranging (126-128 depending on section)
Temple Katz School of Medicine: undergrad GPA of 3.3+, SAT score of 1350, 3.7+ GPA in Post-Bacc, no more than one MCAT with a minimum score of 508
Temple School of Podiatric Medicine: undergrad GPA of 3.0+, Post-Bacc GPA of 3.2+ and an MCAT that is in the top 50th percentile of participants for the exam date submitted

Reactions: 3 users
those seem like good scores for a linkage to happen..

PCOM: sGPA of 3.25+ in Post-Bcac Program and a MCAT score above 50% percentile
SUNY Downstate: 3.3 sGPA minimum in undergrad, 3.5+ GPA in Post-Bacc, Minimum MCAT score of 509 with minimum subscores ranging (126-128 depending on section)
Temple Katz School of Medicine: undergrad GPA of 3.3+, SAT score of 1350, 3.7+ GPA in Post-Bacc, no more than one MCAT with a minimum score of 508
Temple School of Podiatric Medicine: undergrad GPA of 3.0+, Post-Bacc GPA of 3.2+ and an MCAT that is in the top 50th percentile of participants for the exam date submitted
Thanks man, appreciate it. Do you know if people actually use these linkages or are they just for show (for lack of a better phrase)?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey folks,
I also have an interview for the BCHS CST program in just a couple weeks. Also curious about the linkage agreement but also would be interested to hear from current/past students on what to expect for the interview process to be like. Especially what to expect from the writing prompt that will be a part of it.

Hey folks,
I also have an interview for the BCHS CST program in just a couple weeks. Also curious about the linkage agreement but also would be interested to hear from current/past students on what to expect for the interview process to be like. Especially what to expect from the writing prompt that will be a part of it.

Hi, when is your interview? Mine is on January 24! I was wondering how you knew about there being a writing prompt? I didn't seem to see that anywhere in regards to interview day! Thanks!

Hi, when is your interview? Mine is on January 24! I was wondering how you knew about there being a writing prompt? I didn't seem to see that anywhere in regards to interview day! Thanks!

Hey so, I'm actually scheduled for the same day! And now that I've double checked I haven't seen anything regarding a writing prompt as part of the interview. I must have gotten mixed up with a different program I've looked at. Thanks for pointing that out. It actually takes a little weight off my chest about the interview.

Hey so, I'm actually scheduled for the same day! And now that I've double checked I haven't seen anything regarding a writing prompt as part of the interview. I must have gotten mixed up with a different program I've looked at. Thanks for pointing that out. It actually takes a little weight off my chest about the interview.

Oh wow!! Well, best of luck to the both of us soon then, haha. And okay that's a bit more reassuring for me as well, I think GWU's program requires a writing prompt, which I have an interview for as well so I am also a bit nervous about that! Hooray though, congratulations on the interview invite for Temple's post-bacc, and looks like we will be seeing each other in a few weeks :)

Hello! I just got an interview invite. One question I couldn't find answered through quick Google searches was which medical schools successful BCHS graduates went to after program completion. If you know of any please let me know! I'm planning on calling the program for more information if I can't find any online. Are you applying for the program?
Usually if you just email [email protected] they are typically pretty quick to respond. Let us know what you find out.

Usually if you just email [email protected] they are typically pretty quick to respond. Let us know what you find out.

Helllo! So it looks like we will their fourth cohort if accepted into the program, which means they don't have too much history yet. However, some of the schools the program listed were:

AT-Still, PCOM, Creighton, Drexel, Geisinger, Illinois-Chicago, LECOM, SUNY-Brooklyn, SUNY-Downstate, Penn State, Temple, Texas Tech, Paul L. Foster, Touro, and more coming!

The first cohort had a 100% admission rate to medical schools, the second one is still in the process of receiving all of their acceptances but apparently they're looking good as well. The third cohort is still finishing up their classes now, and we would be the fourth.

Temple seems like a great program, and I'm looking forward to learning more about it soon. Crossing fingers that everything goes well.

Are you interviewing there too?

Helllo! So it looks like we will their fourth cohort if accepted into the program, which means they don't have too much history yet. However, some of the schools the program listed were:

AT-Still, PCOM, Creighton, Drexel, Geisinger, Illinois-Chicago, LECOM, SUNY-Brooklyn, SUNY-Downstate, Penn State, Temple, Texas Tech, Paul L. Foster, Touro, and more coming!

The first cohort had a 100% admission rate to medical schools, the second one is still in the process of receiving all of their acceptances but apparently they're looking good as well. The third cohort is still finishing up their classes now, and we would be the fourth.

Temple seems like a great program, and I'm looking forward to learning more about it soon. Crossing fingers that everything goes well.

Are you interviewing there too?

I am not. How did the interview day go?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not. How did the interview day go?!

Temple's interview went great! I have to applaud the faculty for being so organized and ensuring students knew exactly what they were applying for. I am juggling between George Washington's program as well because it also seemed like a great program based on the interview. Either way, both are solid choices for anyone looking into career-changing.

Got an interview for ACHS. Anyone have any advice for the interview? To the current students in the program, what decisions lead you to choosing it? I’m excited for the program because of the linkage it has with LKSOM

Temple's interview went great! I have to applaud the faculty for being so organized and ensuring students knew exactly what they were applying for. I am juggling between George Washington's program as well because it also seemed like a great program based on the interview. Either way, both are solid choices for anyone looking into career-changing.

Does GW program have linkage as well?

Got an interview for ACHS. Anyone have any advice for the interview? To the current students in the program, what decisions lead you to choosing it? I’m excited for the program because of the linkage it has with LKSOM

Not a current student in the program but I've seen that linkage requirements are always changing and pretty high. I'm solely applying for the linkage as well but I am a little weary

Not a current student in the program but I've seen that linkage requirements are always changing and pretty high. I'm solely applying for the linkage as well but I am a little weary

Yeah looks like 3.7 first semester and 3.6 second semester. Not easy by any means, but I think it’s doable. Do you know if you get to link right away like in ACMS?

Yeah looks like 3.7 first semester and 3.6 second semester. Not easy by any means, but I think it’s doable. Do you know if you get to link right away like in ACMS?

They have a linkage without gap year but you need to have a certain undergraduate GPA (I think 3.5+ and it can change) and get past the interview.

They have a linkage without gap year but you need to have a certain undergraduate GPA (I think 3.5+ and it can change) and get past the interview.

Ok thankfully I have the GPA, just need to get past the interview. Which I would need to get past anyways to get in lol. Also I’m sure I’ll learn a lot more at the interview anyways. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the program so hopefully everything goes well

When I asked them about Linkage these are the numbers I was given:

GW, BCHS Only.
  • AMCAS calculated overall minimum Undergraduate GPA of 3.6
Academic Performance
  • Maintain an overall 3.5 GPA in CST Post-Bacc Program
  • No grade lower than a B- (receipt of a C or below will terminate contract)
  • MCAT Requirements: Minimum Overall score of 510, Only One Subsection can be equal to 126, No Subsections may ever be less than 126
LKSOM, ACHS and BCHS Students
  • Cumulative undergraduate overall AMCAS GPA of 3.30 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program
  • If MCAT requirement not met or not taken
    • SAT total score of 1350 (combined Critical Reading and Math), with no section less than 600
    • ACT composite score of 30
    • If no SAT/ACT provided, GRE score at 75%
  • CST Post-Bac science and overall GPA at the end of the fall semester of at least 3.70 (ACHS) or 3.60 (BCHS) (not rounded) with no grade lower than B-
ACHS - Cumulative undergraduate science AMCAS GPA of 3.30 prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program
No more than one MCAT, If one MCAT minimum total of 501 with no section less than 125

BCHS -
Cumulative undergraduate AMCAS science GPA of 3.00 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program

Linkage Criteria in Post Bacc
  • MCAT minimum of 508 for LKSOM entering 2018 and no individual section below 126
  • Final Post Bacc Program GPA of at least 3.6 (not rounded)
  • No grade in Post-Bac program lower than B-
PCOM
Linkage students who successfully achieve a cumulative SGPA of 3.25 (on 4.0 grading scale) in the Temple Prehealth Post Baccalaureate Program
MCAT total of 50% percentile with no one score below 50% percentile.

SUNY Downstate
  • Minimum 3.3 science and math GPA with no D's, F's, Incompletes, or W's in coursework completed prior to the Post Bacc Program.
  • Minimum 3.4 cumulative GPA
  • Must maintain a GPA Of 3.5 or higher in the Post Bacc Program.
To fulfill the conditional acceptance, for the 2018-2019 (class entering August 2019) cycle minimum subscores of:
  • Chemical & Physical Foundation of Biological Systems = 127
  • Critical analysis and reasoning skills = 126
  • Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems = 128
  • Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior = 127
  • Total score = 509

GW, BCHS Only.
Academic Performance
  • MCAT Requirements: Minimum Overall score of 510, Only One Subsection can be equal to 126, No Subsections may ever be less than 126
  • Cumulative undergraduate overall AMCAS GPA of 3.30 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program
    • SAT total score of 1350 (combined Critical Reading and Math), with no section less than 600
  • CST Post-Bac science and overall GPA at the end of the fall semester of at least 3.70 (ACHS) or 3.60 (BCHS) (not rounded) with no grade lower than B-
ACHS - Cumulative undergraduate science AMCAS GPA of 3.30 prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program
No more than one MCAT, If one MCAT minimum total of 501 with no section less than 125

BCHS -
Cumulative undergraduate AMCAS science GPA of 3.00 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program

• MCAT minimum of 508 for LKSOM entering 2018 and no individual section below 126
PCOM
Linkage students who successfully achieve a cumulative SGPA of 3.25 (on 4.0 grading scale) in the Temple Prehealth Post Baccalaureate Program

SUNY Downstate
  • Minimum 3.3 science and math GPA with no D's, F's, Incompletes, or W's in coursework completed prior to the Post Bacc Program.
To fulfill the conditional acceptance, for the 2018-2019 (class entering August 2019) cycle minimum subscores of:
  • Total score = 509

Very helpful, thank you. Do you know if the linkage for LKSOM is direct with no gap year like for ACMS?

Very helpful, thank you. Do you know if the linkage for LKSOM is direct with no gap year like for ACMS?
My understanding is that all of these linkage agreements have no gap year.

Applied yesterday, got an II today for ACHS... weirdly enough my PostBacCas isn't verified yet and my committee letter hasn't been uploaded but I'll take it. I emailed asking more about their linkages so I'll update you all if they respond.

That's awesome! My application was just verified this morning. I'll be interviewing next month.

It would be so helpful if up-to-date linkage information was available on the website :/

That's awesome! My application was just verified this morning. I'll be interviewing next month.

It would be so helpful if up-to-date linkage information was available on the website :/

Linkage info was posted earlier in this thread

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I have an interview coming up as well for their BCHS program. Can you advise on what to expect during the interview and the kind of questions being asked?

Much appreciated.

For anyone that interviewed, are the linkage requirements the same as what was posted?

I just found out I got into this program and I am 99% sure I will be attending.

When I interviewed they did not go over the specific requirements that the school would have for our class (starting in Fall 2019) since, as aforementioned, the schools have the power to change them every year when the medical school application cycle is complete. My interview class pressed for them and the current requirements (for the class that started in 2018) are what is mentioned above. The only confirmed change from those requirements is that the minimum MCAT for PCOM will be 504.

No curveball interview questions. All the main people associated with the program were in attendance and very open and approachable. I can honestly say there wasn't one person that rubbed me the wrong way. Some faculty/professors joined us for lunch too.

I just found out I got into this program and I am 99% sure I will be attending.

When I interviewed they did not go over the specific requirements that the school would have for our class (starting in Fall 2019) since, as aforementioned, the schools have the power to change them every year when the medical school application cycle is complete. My interview class pressed for them and the current requirements (for the class that started in 2018) are what is mentioned above. The only confirmed change from those requirements is that the minimum MCAT for PCOM will be 504.

No curveball interview questions. All the main people associated with the program were in attendance and very open and approachable. I can honestly say there wasn't one person that rubbed me the wrong way. Some faculty/professors joined us for lunch too.

Congrats! I'll be interviewing in two weeks. How soon after interview day did you hear back?

I see a lot of linkage agreements have a required 3.0 GPA prior to the program. Does anyone know about matriculation rates for those under a 3.0? I have an interview next month.

Congrats! I'll be interviewing in two weeks. How soon after interview day did you hear back?

Thank you! I heard back in less than 1 week from my interview date.

I see a lot of linkage agreements have a required 3.0 GPA prior to the program. Does anyone know about matriculation rates for those under a 3.0? I have an interview next month.

Are you asking about those who matriculate into the program or about linkage requirements with GPAs < 3.0?

Hi all. I've been watching this thread for a little while. I was recently accepted into the BCHS program. I really liked the program after the interview. (The interview was great by the way- it was formal but they were down to earth and friendly. You can tell they are very invested in the program and their students.)

However, I have a bit of a difficult decision to make. I also just started a job working as a scribe at a reputable hospital. Today is literally my first day, but seems like it could be a good chance to get a lot of clinical hours (I'm scheduled 4 days a week) and a valuable and interesting experience. If I accept the offer from Temple, I'll have to quit this job.

The other option I am considering is working as a scribe through the summer and then starting Harvard Extension in the fall (I've been accepted there). I would be doing the 2-year path at Harvard Extension (2 years of night classes + a glide year before med school). Though it's worth noting I have also been accepted to Loyola Marymount University and have an upcoming interview with Scripps.

I'm not really concerned about location or cost at this point. I primarily want to balance getting to med school as soon as possible but at the same time making sure I have a strong application.

My stats are 4.0 GPA from a small public university, ~50 clinical hours volunteering at a hospital over the last 3 months. Career changer, a couple years out of school.

The Temple program seems great! I would love to attend, but I'm just wondering if I'd be better off getting more clinical experience before starting a formal program, since I have a good opportunity to do so. Any thoughts are welcome.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted.

Hi all. I've been watching this thread for a little while. I was recently accepted into the BCHS program. I really liked the program after the interview. (The interview was great by the way- it was formal but they were down to earth and friendly. You can tell they are very invested in the program and their students.)

However, I have a bit of a difficult decision to make. I also just started a job working as a scribe at a reputable hospital. Today is literally my first day, but seems like it could be a good chance to get a lot of clinical hours (I'm scheduled 4 days a week) and a valuable and interesting experience. If I accept the offer from Temple, I'll have to quit this job.

The other option I am considering is working as a scribe through the summer and then starting Harvard Extension in the fall (I've been accepted there). I would be doing the 2-year path at Harvard Extension (2 years of night classes + a glide year before med school). Though it's worth noting I have also been accepted to Loyola Marymount University and have an upcoming interview with Scripps.

I'm not really concerned about location or cost at this point. I primarily want to balance getting to med school as soon as possible but at the same time making sure I have a strong application.

My stats are 4.0 GPA from a small public university, ~50 clinical hours volunteering at a hospital over the last 3 months. Career changer, a couple years out of school.

The Temple program seems great! I would love to attend, but I'm just wondering if I'd be better off getting more clinical experience before starting a formal program, since I have a good opportunity to do so. Any thoughts are welcome.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted.
you could also use your glide year to get clinical hours, or if you're doing night classes at harvard you can spend the days getting that experience, worth talking to a temple advisor about whether this is a weakness in your application and how it can be strengthened at temple

you could also use your glide year to get clinical hours, or if you're doing night classes at harvard you can spend the days getting that experience, worth talking to a temple advisor about whether this is a weakness in your application and how it can be strengthened at temple
slow and steady, no need to rush to med school, you'll have your whole life to see patients, the educational path itself is its own whole experience! it's a marathon not a sprint, blah blah all those cliches are really true

Thanks, yes that's something that occurred to me. If I go to Temple I'm leaning toward not linking so that I can get that glide year.

That's another potential benefit of Harvard Extension; (a) the class load is lighter and at night, allowing me to do more extracurricular activities during the week, and (b) it's stretched out over 2 years, giving me even more time to do extracurriculars.

I did talk to the Temple faculty about my situation, and they have been very helpful. They seemed to think I would be ok as far as experience if I make time for it while in the program.

slow and steady, no need to rush to med school, you'll have your whole life to see patients, the educational path itself is its own whole experience! it's a marathon not a sprint, blah blah all those cliches are really true
True! I'll keep that in mind.

Hey everyone, I just had my interview today for ACHS. Keep in mind that the linkage requirements are not yet finalized; I was told they can change anytime through August.

1) your post-bac academic performance
2) whether or not the committee will sponsor you for linkage
3) whether or not the medical school will invite you for an interview (sponsorship does not guarantee interview)
4) whether or not the medical school will accept you

The linkages do not provide a guaranteed interview, nor guaranteed acceptance - even if you meet academic requirements.

But isn't this the case with all linkage agreements at any school? Maybe I am misunderstanding what a linkage is, but all linkages require me to meet a certain MCAT score, maintain a certain GPA in a program, and perform well at an interview to meet all the requirements set forth to be admitted. I don't know of ANY programs that guarantees admission. If that were the case you could just show up at a post bacc program screw around and get poor grades, not perform on the MCAT and then expect admission to a medical school via linkage. Your interpretation doesn't sound right.

GW, BCHS Only.
Academic Performance

BCHS - Cumulative undergraduate AMCAS science GPA of 3.00 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post Bacc program

PCOM

SUNY Downstate
  • Total score = 509
So basically if you’ve taken more than 1 MCAT and have a sGPA below 3.3 this program is not gonna get you immediate linkage?

So basically if you’ve taken more than 1 MCAT and have a sGPA below 3.3 this program is not gonna get you immediate linkage?

As far as grades go, kinda seems like it, according to the numbers they provided. Except for the PCOM linkage which doesn't appear to have a minimum undergraduate GPA for linkage consideration.

The only linkage that appears to have any previous MCAT limitations is the one to LKSOM.

As far as grades go, kinda seems like it, according to the numbers they provided. Except for the PCOM linkage which doesn't appear to have a minimum undergraduate GPA for linkage consideration.

The only linkage that appears to have any previous MCAT limitations is the one to LKSOM.
For sure, guess I’ll email them for some clarification before I decline my interview

Current student in the ACHS cohort, let me know if you have any questions.

To put a "blanket" statement over the program, come here if you need a boost in your undergrad sGPA (science) as you will take upper level division courses with your cohort. You are not compared with the medical student average, and there is less of a sense of competition because you all take the same tests together with your cohort.

There are embedded Kaplan courses (CARS & Psych/Soc Fall, Biochem/Prep class in the Spring) to prepare you for the MCAT. They aren't mandatory, but if you do poorly on the MCAT they will probably say that's the reason why - so just make sure you're preparing adequately yourself. It is tough to manage it on top of school (as I'm taking the MCAT in May) but ultimately, you should be motivated to smash the MCAT anyway.

I will comment about linkages though - for ACHS students, generally people go into PCOM because the requirements aren't as stringent as Lewis Katz (where undergrad GPA matters before you come in). Also, I would like to echo the statements said about the linkages not being guaranteed. If that is the singular reason you are coming to this program, I would consider other programs with guaranteed linkages, like the ACMS program (Lewis Katz) or Tulane's ACLP, as those requirements are more likely set in stone and not dynamically changing from year to year.

Overall, the program for me has been a pretty linear payout - I put in hard work and received good grades. Two of your classes will be taught by medical school faculty (Immunology/Microbiology is one course, Physiology is the other). The coursework is challenging, but not impossible. Totally doable to get A's, but you will have to work hard.

There are some mandatory classes/workshops you have to attend on a weekly basis and to be frank, I think my time could be spent better elsewhere, but I guess that won't change even in med school. There is advising and support available, but a lot of things you have to go and make the appointments yourself. I don't find this a problem, and I have found my meetings with the advisors decently helpful.

Again, this is a relatively young program (I am the third cohort, you will all be the fourth if you decide to come here) so there are some growing pains associated. They are still tweaking things here and there, figuring out what they feel works best. So just come with the expectations that things will change.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your input @spnewera . I have a few questions, if don't mind and have time to share your thoughts.

1. Do you feel that the curriculum itself has prepared you well for the MCAT? (I realize you haven't taken it yet this year, so it may be hard to answer.) At the interview they emphasized that the curriculum is customized to focus on content for the MCAT as well as content that will be helpful in med school. Do you feel this is accurate? Also, how is the Kaplan MCAT prep?

Side note: I'm BCHS. I just realized that what they said about the courses being focused on the MCAT may have applied only to the BCHS track. (From what I understand, the ACHS content covers material that is more advanced than what is covered on the MCAT.)

2. Do you feel that you will be able to get a strong committee letter from the program, or individual letters from any faculty/professors?

3. How do you feel about the extracurricular opportunities facilitated by the program? Were the faculty able to help you find good opportunities?

Last edited:
Thanks for your input @spnewera . I have a few questions, if don't mind and have time to share your thoughts.

1. Do you feel that the curriculum itself has prepared you well for the MCAT? (I realize you haven't taken it yet this year, so it may be hard to answer.) At the interview they emphasized that the curriculum is customized to focus on content for the MCAT as well as content that will be helpful in med school. Do you feel this is accurate? Also, how is the Kaplan MCAT prep?

Side note: I'm BCHS. I just realized that what they said about the courses being focused on the MCAT may have applied only to the BCHS track. (From what I understand, the ACHS content covers material that is more advanced than what is covered on the MCAT.)

2. Do you feel that you will be able to get a strong committee letter from the program, or individual letters from any faculty/professors?

3. How do you feel about the extracurricular opportunities facilitated by the program? Were the faculty able to help you find good opportunities?

Hey, glad to help. I can't answer all of your questions because intrinsically, BCHS curriculum is the pre-reqs (bio, chem, physics, organic chem, etc). But I can comment on Kaplan.

I don't really go to any of the Kaplan stuff. It's up to you if you decide to, but I found that self-studying was sufficient for me. The course is included in tuition (which isn't too bad) but honestly, I think people can prepare for the MCAT adequately on their own. Not that I think the course is a waste of time, but you should try and see if it's working for you. Overall, don't rely on the Kaplan course to do well on the MCAT - it should be a supplement to your own studying. There is a faculty member who does meet with you 1 on 1 for the MCAT to plan out a timeline, so I suppose that is helpful as well. There are resources here, you just have to choose which one you like.

I heard that our attrition rate for medical school with the BCHS cohort is 100% from the class two years ago, so it sounds like the post-bacc is pretty good about getting you into medical school. I also believe that the program will write strong letters of recommendation (committee letter of rec as well) so I am not too worried about the letters.

I think during the year you're going to be busy with school. I've only shadowed once or twice at Temple University's Hospital - once for the IM department, and once for the cardiology department. I think honestly, you're gonna be busy studying all the time so there isn't much time for extracurriculars. I get the feeling that you will do that on your gap year when applying to med school, but take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, glad to help. I can't answer all of your questions because intrinsically, BCHS curriculum is the pre-reqs (bio, chem, physics, organic chem, etc). But I can comment on Kaplan.

I don't really go to any of the Kaplan stuff. It's up to you if you decide to, but I found that self-studying was sufficient for me. The course is included in tuition (which isn't too bad) but honestly, I think people can prepare for the MCAT adequately on their own. Not that I think the course is a waste of time, but you should try and see if it's working for you. Overall, don't rely on the Kaplan course to do well on the MCAT - it should be a supplement to your own studying. There is a faculty member who does meet with you 1 on 1 for the MCAT to plan out a timeline, so I suppose that is helpful as well. There are resources here, you just have to choose which one you like.

I heard that our attrition rate for medical school with the BCHS cohort is 100% from the class two years ago, so it sounds like the post-bacc is pretty good about getting you into medical school. I also believe that the program will write strong letters of recommendation (committee letter of rec as well) so I am not too worried about the letters.

I think during the year you're going to be busy with school. I've only shadowed once or twice at Temple University's Hospital - once for the IM department, and once for the cardiology department. I think honestly, you're gonna be busy studying all the time so there isn't much time for extracurriculars. I get the feeling that you will do that on your gap year when applying to med school, but take that for what it's worth.
Thanks for the response, that's helpful. I assume you meant 100% acceptance/matriculation rate (not attrition rate) :).

Best of luck with your MCAT!

Current student in the ACHS cohort, let me know if you have any questions.

To put a "blanket" statement over the program, come here if you need a boost in your undergrad sGPA (science) as you will take upper level division courses with your cohort. You are not compared with the medical student average, and there is less of a sense of competition because you all take the same tests together with your cohort.

There are embedded Kaplan courses (CARS & Psych/Soc Fall, Biochem/Prep class in the Spring) to prepare you for the MCAT. They aren't mandatory, but if you do poorly on the MCAT they will probably say that's the reason why - so just make sure you're preparing adequately yourself. It is tough to manage it on top of school (as I'm taking the MCAT in May) but ultimately, you should be motivated to smash the MCAT anyway.

I will comment about linkages though - for ACHS students, generally people go into PCOM because the requirements aren't as stringent as Lewis Katz (where undergrad GPA matters before you come in). Also, I would like to echo the statements said about the linkages not being guaranteed. If that is the singular reason you are coming to this program, I would consider other programs with guaranteed linkages, like the ACMS program (Lewis Katz) or Tulane's ACLP, as those requirements are more likely set in stone and not dynamically changing from year to year.

Overall, the program for me has been a pretty linear payout - I put in hard work and received good grades. Two of your classes will be taught by medical school faculty (Immunology/Microbiology is one course, Physiology is the other). The coursework is challenging, but not impossible. Totally doable to get A's, but you will have to work hard.

There are some mandatory classes/workshops you have to attend on a weekly basis and to be frank, I think my time could be spent better elsewhere, but I guess that won't change even in med school. There is advising and support available, but a lot of things you have to go and make the appointments yourself. I don't find this a problem, and I have found my meetings with the advisors decently helpful.

Again, this is a relatively young program (I am the third cohort, you will all be the fourth if you decide to come here) so there are some growing pains associated. They are still tweaking things here and there, figuring out what they feel works best. So just come with the expectations that things will change.
Hi, thank you for the info. Can you talk more about the classes structure? are they mostly lecture based? how many students are in the classroom? How is the structure of the exams? for example are they mostly memorization/content knowledge based or more of critical thinking and mcat like questions? also, I'm not sure if this is mentioned on the website but do the classes also include labs? are there any required papers/ presentations?
Lastly, is the link to Pcom somewhat "guaranteed" if you have the required stats?
Am I too late to start my application now?

Hi, thank you for the info. Can you talk more about the classes structure? are they mostly lecture based? how many students are in the classroom? How is the structure of the exams? for example are they mostly memorization/content knowledge based or more of critical thinking and mcat like questions? also, I'm not sure if this is mentioned on the website but do the classes also include labs? are there any required papers/ presentations?
Lastly, is the link to Pcom somewhat "guaranteed" if you have the required stats?
Am I too late to start my application now?

Sure.

In the Fall, we took Biochem (undergrad prof), physiology (med school prof), and immunology/micro (med school prof). All of the exams were very fair and straightforward, and all came from the powerpoints. Everything is lecture based. Physiology is critical thinking and was the most difficult class (but fair, required application of knowledge), biochem is biochem (mostly memorize, some application), and immuno/micro (memorize, very little application). All of the professors were very explicit with what they expected for their exams, and all the exams were fair. Most, if not all the tests were multiple choice. Pretty helpful for the MCAT, but obviously, not passage-based because it helps with the content.

Spring right now we're taking genetics, cancer/cell biology, anatomy, and another class that's related to healthcare where we have lectures and have a class project. This class project is a group presentation, and the only one you'll do all year. No labs.

PCOM linkage is not guaranteed. An interview, I believe is, but an acceptance is not. I heard the requirement is a 3.25 gpa in the program and a 504 on the mcat (raised from 500). 5-10 students usually link per year out of the cohort of 30-40, and not everyone is aiming for PCOM. It is a decent linkage, but if you interview poorly, do poorly in the program, miss a deadline (this is a big one), and don't make the MCAT, or even if PCOM decides not to accept you, it's not a guarantee. So just be careful if you're banking on solely coming to this program for a linkage.

Reactions: 4 users
Sure.

In the Fall, we took Biochem (undergrad prof), physiology (med school prof), and immunology/micro (med school prof). All of the exams were very fair and straightforward, and all came from the powerpoints. Everything is lecture based. Physiology is critical thinking and was the most difficult class (but fair, required application of knowledge), biochem is biochem (mostly memorize, some application), and immuno/micro (memorize, very little application). All of the professors were very explicit with what they expected for their exams, and all the exams were fair. Most, if not all the tests were multiple choice. Pretty helpful for the MCAT, but obviously, not passage-based because it helps with the content.

Spring right now we're taking genetics, cancer/cell biology, anatomy, and another class that's related to healthcare where we have lectures and have a class project. This class project is a group presentation, and the only one you'll do all year. No labs.

PCOM linkage is not guaranteed. An interview, I believe is, but an acceptance is not. I heard the requirement is a 3.25 gpa in the program and a 504 on the mcat (raised from 500). 5-10 students usually link per year out of the cohort of 30-40, and not everyone is aiming for PCOM. It is a decent linkage, but if you interview poorly, do poorly in the program, miss a deadline (this is a big one), and don't make the MCAT, or even if PCOM decides not to accept you, it's not a guarantee. So just be careful if you're banking on solely coming to this program for a linkage.
Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. The program sounds like a great fit for me. I'm currently working on my application to hopefully submit by next week. Do you think I'm too late since it's rolling admissions?

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. The program sounds like a great fit for me. I'm currently working on my application to hopefully submit by next week. Do you think I'm too late since it's rolling admissions?

Sorry for the late response, I don't know how far they are along the application cycle with interviews, but it doesn't hurt to apply!

Hi everyone! I was recently offered an II, and wanted to see if it was possible anyone could give me any interview tips?

For people who are currently apart of the program, is there pros and cons you'd like to share as well?

Thanks!