Temple DPM/MBA Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nirvani

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i am new here and just want to say thanks for the advice and encouragement you all give to pre-pod students. i have an interview at Temple on Monday, and hopefully it will go very well!

i have a question regarding their DPM/MBA 5-year program. has anyone here done it, or is anyone familiar with it?

also, could anyone provide some input on TUSPM in general? i like that it's affiliated with a university, and that because of it's age it probably has some nice connections to surgical residency programs [which i hope to pursue].

thank you for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

i apologize, i realized too late that i posted this in the PODIATRY STUDENTS section instead of the PRE-POD section.. forgive me!! :(

I have no experience with this but my question would be is it worth the extra time and stress. What will an MBA do for you that a great GPA and a solid residency would not? I think that the dual degree programs are great if you like alphabet soup (DPM, MS, MBA) but if you just want to be a good doctor, take the extra time to study. That is just this man's opinion. But I am a very manly man with quite a lot of chest hair. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Dr. Feelgood. Your residency and initial job placement are going to give you the ins and outs of what is and isn't going to work when running a practice. Business savy is something I feel you either have or don't have but can be acquired by simply inquiring how things work. If I didn't stand by those principles, I would never be where I am today in the .com business.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I have no experience with this but my question would be is it worth the extra time and stress. What will an MBA do for you that a great GPA and a solid residency would not? I think that the dual degree programs are great if you like alphabet soup (DPM, MS, MBA) but if you just want to be a good doctor, take the extra time to study. That is just this man's opinion. But I am a very manly man with quite a lot of chest hair. ;)

Dr. FeelDelicious has a good point. So the question would be; do you plan on using it? I am currently enrolled in the Masters of Health Care Administration along with the DPM program. I dont really know if I will use it or not. I may want to have an administrative position at a hospital along with being a staffed DPM. It may help me become chief someday. I thought I eould keep my options open. If I wanted the alphabet soup I would just join every certifying body available. Example: Dr. IlizaRob, DPM, FACFAS, FACFAOM, FACFAOPPM, FACFAP, FASPD. Hows that for some soup.

nirvani said:
hi everyone,

i am new here and just want to say thanks for the advice and encouragement you all give to pre-pod students. i have an interview at Temple on Monday, and hopefully it will go very well!

i have a question regarding their DPM/MBA 5-year program. has anyone here done it, or is anyone familiar with it?

also, could anyone provide some input on TUSPM in general? i like that it's affiliated with a university, and that because of it's age it probably has some nice connections to surgical residency programs [which i hope to pursue].

thank you for your help! :)

am an alumni of TUSPM. Currently, I, personally, do not know of anyone who did the DPM/MBA 5-year program. The DPM/MBA is basically modeled after the DPM/DMD (Dental) program. You will need to contact TUSPM admission office for more information. You will probably need to take your GMAT exam and apply to Temple University Fox School of Business as well.

As for TUSPM, I feel that TUSPM has provided me a great foundation for my residency training. TUSPM is located in the downtown part of Philadelphia and is not located on the Temple University Health Science Campus (Medical school, dental school, Temple University Hospital, etc...) in North Philadelphia. TUSPM is actually in the better part of Philadelphia as compared to the Health Science campus. Since we are not on the same campus, we do not sit in the same classroom as the MD students like students at DMU or AZPOD or Scholl. However, the basic science courses are taught by the same professors as the MD school and the course is identical to the MD courses. The only exception is that Gross Anatomy and Lower Extremity Anatomy. The main Podiatry clinic is located right next to the school where students will rotate through Wound Care, Podiatric Medicine and its subspecialites, Podiatric Orthopedics, Podiatric Surgery Modules. There is also lower extremity MRI machine, laser clinic, ESWT in the school clinic. Students also rotate through medicine, orthopedic surgery, anesthesia, vascular surgery, etc.. rotations through various hospitals in the area. These outside rotations are done along side with MD students and many of those rotations require you to take the Shelf Exams (MD students take the same exam at the end of their rotation)at the end of the rotation to test your knowledge gained from the rotation. Students also rotate through podopediatric clinic at Temple University Children Hospital, Diabetes clinic at Temple University Hospital, etc... Students also finish their classes by Thanksgiving in the third year. The remainder of third year and fourth year are devoted various outside rotations, clinics, and externships. On the Podiatry campus, there is also a dorm located next to the school building for students. There are also on going research at TUSPM that students can get involved in.

As for residency programs, like most schools, there are several local area residency programs that take predominately from the local podiatry school. For TUSPM, the Temple University Hospital 4 year Podiatric Surgical Residency Program take from TUSPM only. There are other area 3 year Podiatric Surgical Residency Programs that favor TUSPM students since those attendings at the other residency programs work with TUSPM students directly. However, this does NOT mean students from other schools have no shot at those programs.

Good luck with your interview at TUSPM. If you have any more questions about TUSPM, feel free to ask away.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

I was accepted into Temple last week and am feeling quite on top of the world :D

Of course, being a second semester senior with a secure future now makes going to class and doing homework as hard as pulling teeth!! :p [do we podiatry folks have an equivalent analogy?]

Thanks again and I'm excited to join the community of current/future DPMs! :)

nirvani said:

I was accepted into Temple last week and am feeling quite on top of the world :D

Of course, being a second semester senior with a secure future now makes going to class and doing homework as hard as pulling teeth!! :p [do we podiatry folks have an equivalent analogy?]

Congrats!

nirvani said:

Congratulations and welcome to the TUSPM family. If you have any TUSPM related questions, feel free to ask.