Temple Interview feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clam chowder

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had my temple interview a couple weeks ago... here's what i got out of it.

Brian is the guy who will be talking about the school, giving the tour and answering most of the questions throughout the day. I was a bit disappointed because he was the main person we interacted with. He made it seem as though he had a huge influence on whether an applicant would get accepted or not. i don't know how true that is so just play it safe and interact with him. I wanted to meet the deans and get a general feel for chemistry and interactions with faculty and students but didn't really get to see any of that. We DID have the chance to speak with a couple 1st year dental students (for ~15 mintues)... ASK THEM ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING .. i asked about their opinion of the school, their interactions with professors, etc. and they were pretty upfront about it... (some answers definitely didn't impress me about the school). We also ate lunch with 3rd/4th year students... that was cool.

Thanks to Brian, there was no essay writing.

Group interview wasn't so bad. Just make sure you're heard and be honest about who you are. Obviously you're "competing" with the fellas next to you so find a way to make sure you stand out. For example, the question "Why do you want to be a dentist" came up. I don't think by answering "uh, because i want to help people" would really help you. I also think it's a luck thing because my interviewer was awesome. We all engaged in a productive conversation and enjoyed sharing our personal experiences with him. Other students shared with me that their interviewer just sat there and asked each student the same question, wrote some stuff down, and moved onto the next question.

I definitely agree that this school is strong clinically based on their location and the HUGE # of patients (as they take alot of pride in that)... BUT alot of the other schools are also located in areas with a high # of pateints.

I wasn't impressed with students pushing their carts of instruments across the hall as we were getting our tour of the school. But that's just me.

They're expecting alot of applicants this year where only ~25% will be granted an interview. From those interviewed, ~35% will be accepted from what i hear.

Good luck.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

clam chowder said:
They're expecting alot of applicants this year where only ~25% will be granted an interview. From those interviewed, ~35% will be accepted from what i hear.

Good luck.
:)

Thanks for posting a feedback. I am just surprised that Temple only accepts 35% of the people they interview. I thought it to be a higher number becasue this means they would ahve to interview close to 600 people to fill their class and it seems just too big of a number. If any current temple knows the numbers please let us know.

I heard a person is suppose to email Brian after the inmterview and say wheter they still want to got o Temple? This seems odd. Why would anyone email and say they wouldnt want to go? If I emaila nd say Temple is my number one choice ( which it is), will this make any difference?

Members don't see this ad :)
premedman said:
I heard a person is suppose to email Brian after the inmterview and say wheter they still want to got o Temple? This seems odd. Why would anyone email and say they wouldnt want to go? If I emaila nd say Temple is my number one choice ( which it is), will this make any difference?

Yeah, that's what I was told on the interview too. You're supposed to email Brian and tell him that you're interested in Temple (Why would I spend >$400 if I wasn't interested?). Then he'll print out the email and take it to the dean. Then the dean alone makes the decision whether accept you or not. It sounds to me you are emailing and say "hey, I want to be accepted." Then you're accepted. Maybe it's because of my interviewer or whatever, I didn't feel that the interview play a big role in their admission process. Plus Brian said something like if the dean got your email but doesn't like you, then you'll be sent to the committee to take a vote on you. Here's when your interviewer comes in and speak. As long as anyone doesn't make huge mistake or faint on the interview, with good stats and a email to Brian, they'll get accepted. That's just my opinion.

Mustt Mustt said:
Thanks for posting a feedback. I am just surprised that Temple only accepts 35% of the people they interview. I thought it to be a higher number becasue this means they would ahve to interview close to 600 people to fill their class and it seems just too big of a number. If any current temple knows the numbers please let us know.

We were told that about 3500 will be applying this year... ~900 will be granted interviews...

clam chowder said:
We were told that about 3500 will be applying this year... ~900 will be granted interviews...

This is what I was told. In my e-mail to Brian, I also sent a paypal for 1000.00$, will this help?

Just kidding! So far as I can tell, Temple is still my number one. I have some friends there and they like it, Philly is a cool city, clinical is great, and joe frazier is a patient. Can I get a "Wat Wat!"

:D

1992Corolla said:
This is what I was told. In my e-mail to Brian, I also sent a paypal for 1000.00$, will this help?

Just kidding! So far as I can tell, Temple is still my number one. I have some friends there and they like it, Philly is a cool city, clinical is great, and joe frazier is a patient. Can I get a "Wat Wat!"

:D
No you can't get a "wat wat!" I won't even give you a "hoo haa!"

Great honest feedback about the school :thumbup: Just a few comments however...

clam chowder said:
I wanted to meet the deans and get a general feel for chemistry and interactions with faculty and students but didn't really get to see any of that.
Well I dont know what you expect, but I interviewed at 5 different schools and not once did I meet a Dean nor did I see how faculty interacted with students!!

With the tour, the actual interview and lunch, it would be tough to adequately see the students and faculty interact all in one day....it would just be too long.

However, if you want to see how students and faculty interact, why dont you email Brian and tell him this? Brian is a really upfront and helpful guy and if thats what you were looking for, then he'll do his best to help you. Perhaps you can come and shadow a student for a day to see how a Temple student's day goes by? Brian has hooked that up for others before. The option is always there if you just take the initiative and not just sob.

clamchowder said:
We DID have the chance to speak with a couple 1st year dental students (for ~15 mintues)... ASK THEM ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING .. i asked about their opinion of the school, their interactions with professors, etc. and they were pretty upfront about it... (some answers definitely didn't impress me about the school). We also ate lunch with 3rd/4th year students... that was cool.
well I wouldnt take the impression of first year students given the fact that they've only been there for ONLY one month and are probably pissed that they arent doing as well so far as they did in undergrad. However, if the 3rd/4th years you went to lunch with said bad things about the school then, I would listen to them instead....

clamchowder said:
I definitely agree that this school is strong clinically based on their location and the HUGE # of patients (as they take alot of pride in that)... BUT alot of the other schools are also located in areas with a high # of pateints.
Sure Temple prides itself on having the 2nd largest patient pool in the country, but I dont think Brian ever mentions that its the only school that provides tons of patients! Everyone knows there are many other schools out there that have great patient and clinical exposure....Temple is just one of them.

clamchowder said:
I wasn't impressed with students pushing their carts of instruments across the hall as we were getting our tour of the school. But that's just me.
sure this may look stupid, but is this really a valid reason to look down on a school?? Instead, try and have fun with it and not just whine. When I get my cart, im gonna have flames on the side, maybe lower the body, and put some nice rims on it....and I'll call it Lucille. :cool:

I appreciate your comments and insight. I just got word that I will interview at Temple Nov 15. Based on your honest feedback, Temple has just rose up on my top school list.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Great honest feedback about the school :thumbup: Just a few comments however...

Well I dont know what you expect, but I interviewed at 5 different schools and not once did I meet a Dean nor did I see how faculty interacted with students!!

With the tour, the actual interview and lunch, it would be tough to adequately see the students and faculty interact all in one day....it would just be too long.

However, if you want to see how students and faculty interact, why dont you email Brian and tell him this? Brian is a really upfront and helpful guy and if thats what you were looking for, then he'll do his best to help you. Perhaps you can come and shadow a student for a day to see how a Temple student's day goes by? Brian has hooked that up for others before. The option is always there if you just take the initiative and not just sob.

well I wouldnt take the impression of first year students given the fact that they've only been there for ONLY one month and are probably pissed that they arent doing as well so far as they did in undergrad. However, if the 3rd/4th years you went to lunch with said bad things about the school then, I would listen to them instead....

Sure Temple prides itself on having the 2nd largest patient pool in the country, but I dont think Brian ever mentions that its the only school that provides tons of patients! Everyone knows there are many other schools out there that have great patient and clinical exposure....Temple is just one of them.

sure this may look stupid, but is this really a valid reason to look down on a school?? Instead, try and have fun with it and not just whine. When I get my cart, im gonna have flames on the side, maybe lower the body, and put some nice rims on it....and I'll call it Lucille. :cool:

whats the big deal with pushing around a cart? you've never shopped at a supermarket or something?