temple med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashasnarf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the admissions process at Temple med works? In particular I am wondering how many people they accept outrightif you are from PA. I remember that when I interviewed there about 5 weeks ago, that everyone in the room (10 people) were all from PA. Does Temple only accept people from PA early in the process, or do they accept whomever? Dr. Kermit if your still out there, you seem to know a lot about Temple, do you work there? I want to thank you for your previous posts. Also, if anyone has an interesting Temple med story, please tellus!!THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

According to <a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/dir-med/admis_04098.htm" target="_blank">U.S. News and World Report</a>, in Fall 2000, Temple gave acceptances to 465 people: 278 instate and 187 out-of-state.

how long after your file was complete did they send you an invitation to interview? Last week I received an email that my file is complete and I'm wondering how long it takes them. I heard that they accept many nonresidents...hopefully!
ashasnarf,how did your interview go? did you like the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
SarPlayer I likedthe school very much. It is one of my top three choices if givenan acceptance. I received an invitation to interview before I turned in a secondary. I think I should hear from them in a couple of weeks-hopefully! My interview was with a retired Physiology professor, it lasted an hour and 20 minutes. I think it went well, but I don't think it was amazing because my interviewer was real soft spoken and didn't really challenge me. It was a very really laid back interview, the kind that I can't see anyone not having a good interview. Hopefully he will fight for me at the committee meeting? I wonder if getting interviwed without a secondary means that they relly like my application or if they did that with everyone from PA to make the application process go faster. From all the doctors I have spoken with, Temple is the place to go to be a doctor. The clinical training one will receive there far surpasses many of the top ranked schools. Temple does not have that much basic research as schools like PENN etc. however, this leaves them with more emphasis on clinical research and medical practice. Furthermore, if one wants to basic research, they are not precluded from going to Penn and working with professors there. As any one who has worked in a lab knows, researchers are always looking for workhorses who will run assays, write papers etc, regardless of what medical school that student is from. Besides, Philly is truly one of the best cities to study medicine, lot of patients, hospitals, and the city I think has a lot to offer.

Hey ashasnarf, did you interview with Dr. Wang? He seemed like a pretty nice guy. My experiences there were pretty good. . He also said that "he would strongly recommend me for admission"- I don't want to read to much into this, but I am hoping to at least get a wait-listing out of it, then possibly an acceptance. The school itself is pretty amazing- all the different hospitals you can do your clerkships/electives at, the patient populations, plus Philly is cheap, and after living in SF for the past 7 months I am ready for that.

Um, I received an invite to interview along with my secondary. There were about 8-10 people on my interview day, all of which had received the invite with their secondary, but 5 were ED. I think 6 were from PA, but the rest had either gone to school in PA or were now living in PA From what I was told that day, following the interview, the person writes a review of his/her time with you. Then, the review is sent to the admissions committee and they vote whether or not to accept you. The interviewer can choose whether not he wants to sit in on the process. They told me to expect a decision in 8-10 weeks and I heard exactly 5 weeks after my interview.

No, I do not work at Temple, but I have a very good friend there and talked to the students about their admissions experiences and filled us in at lunch.