temple scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredentist(hopefully)

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the average amount of money that temple offers with their scholarships? (form that they emailed us is 1-35k a year). Kinda a bummer that they dont tell us that information until after we put a down a deposit because im trying to weigh my options between schools and wont know the price that it will cost me to go to temple. Also what are your thoughts on maryland vs temple?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking the same. I can't make an informed decision w/ out knowing if they're going to give me anything.

LOL shoudl we be putting multiple deposits on multiple schools so that we can find out how much we are getting for each one

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple does not tell you whether or not you will receive a scholarship until a month or so after you actually start school. Know this because a representative told us this at orientation and told us that some of us will see a scholarship appear in our financial aid package some time in the near future. I can not say this is the best way to do this (because knowing whether or not you will get a scholarship can be a big incentive for the potential class) but it is what they have done this past year. Choosing between Maryland and Temple in my opinion is one of the hardest decisions. I’m happy with where I’m at, but everyone has to do what is best for them, including financially.

Reactions: 1 users
Temple does not tell you whether or not you will receive a scholarship until a month or so after you actually start school. Know this because a representative told us this at orientation and told us that some of us will see a scholarship appear in our financial aid package some time in the near future. I can not say this is the best way to do this (because knowing whether or not you will get a scholarship can be a big incentive for the potential class) but it is what they have done this past year. Choosing between Maryland and Temple in my opinion is one of the hardest decisions. I’m happy with where I’m at, but everyone has to do what is best for them, including financially.
how much did you receive per year if you dont mind me asking? also do you know ~the average of what everyone in your class got?

perhaps they want to give scholarships to people who want to go to temple rather than get people to come to temple because of scholarships

how much did you receive per year if you dont mind me asking? also do you know ~the average of what everyone in your class got?

Well I was told by whoever is in charge of handing them out that I did receive one, but since I was on HPSP, they felt it was more appropriate to give it to someone else, which I agreed. Unfortunately I do not know what that amount was nor do I know what the average is.

perhaps they want to give scholarships to people who want to go to temple rather than get people to come to temple because of scholarships

That certainly could be it and I wouldn’t necessarily blame the school for wanting that.

so are you saying they would just give everyone that enters their class by the start time money? cause how would they even know who's going becuase they want to go to temple rather then those hoping to get a scholarship?

so are you saying they would just give everyone that enters their class by the start time money? cause how would they even know who's going becuase they want to go to temple rather then those hoping to get a scholarship?

because they went to temple even without the scholarship

no one is saying that
i said it as a joke. i doubt everyone gets a decent scholarship. my point is that everyone who attends does not know if they are getting decent money or not so i dont think temple would just give scholarships away based off people wanting to go to temple rather than come to temple for the money since not everyone will get decent scholarships

pretty dang similar

saying that they'd rather give it to a student who wants to come to temple (tuition has no influence on decision to attend temple) + is eligible for a scholarship versus offering it to an accepted and eligible student (tuition could now possibly influence decision to attend temple)

and for Temple to distinguish that, they are choosing to offer scholarships a month before semester begins. And OBVIOUSLY not everyone will get a scholarship

do you get it now?

saying that they'd rather give it to a student who wants to come to temple (tuition has no influence on decision to attend temple) + is eligible for a scholarship versus offering it to an accepted and eligible student (tuition could now possibly influence decision to attend temple)

and for Temple to distinguish that, they are choosing to offer scholarships a month before semester begins. And OBVIOUSLY not everyone will get a scholarship

do you get it now?

over the weekend, I came up with a better way of thinking about it
there are two types of scholarships, merit-based and need-based
merit-based are used like athletic scholarships, used to entice someone to attend your school
need-based are given as part of a total financial package (loans, grants, scholarships) after you have already started school, or immediately before you start