Temple Univ. Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
June 25th interview

Members don't see this ad.

any male who got accepted here and is looking for a roommate, please send me a message.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from this applicant pool hear something back yet? My BCMS app was complete in early December. I'm just trying to get a basic timeframe and maybe some stats and general info from other people. Also, is anyone else trying to enter directly after undergrad without working in the professional world first?

GPA: 3.77
SGPA: 4.0 (haven't taken any of the core sciences, but this includes microbiology, bio101, anatomy, and physiology)
Nursing major undergrad
member of Phi Kappa Phi honor society
member of sigma theta tau international nursing society
member of the Honors College
EC:
-member of medical legal partnership
-member of inter-health professions alliance
-volunteer at Upenn pre-med volunteer program for 13 weeks
-tutor pathophysiology and pharmacology
-medical receptionist at a pain management clinic
-various shadowing experiences
-over 500 clinic hours
-recommendations from Honors philosophy professor, PA from work, and clinical professor/nurse practitioner

I was already denied by Bryn Mawr...just waiting on Temple and Penn.

Check out the ACMS thread. So far it does not seem anyone has heard yet.

Anyone from this applicant pool hear something back yet? My BCMS app was complete in early December. I'm just trying to get a basic timeframe and maybe some stats and general info from other people. Also, is anyone else trying to enter directly after undergrad without working in the professional world first?

GPA: 3.77
SGPA: 4.0 (haven't taken any of the core sciences, but this includes microbiology, bio101, anatomy, and physiology)
Nursing major undergrad
member of Phi Kappa Phi honor society
member of sigma theta tau international nursing society
member of the Honors College
EC:
-member of medical legal partnership
-member of inter-health professions alliance
-volunteer at Upenn pre-med volunteer program for 13 weeks
-tutor pathophysiology and pharmacology
-medical receptionist at a pain management clinic
-various shadowing experiences
-over 500 clinic hours
-recommendations from Honors philosophy professor, PA from work, and clinical professor/nurse practitioner

I was already denied by Bryn Mawr...just waiting on Temple and Penn.

Trying to figure out why you were denied by Bryn Mawr? Did they think the micro and a&p disqualify you? Was it based on standardized test: SAT, ACT, or GRE?

If you took the MCAT, but you feel it is not representative of your qualifications, do you know if you have to send it in. My GRE score was much better and my SAT score from 4 years ago was very good. I do not want to exclude it if it would not be viewed as proper. Thanks

Trying to figure out why you were denied by Bryn Mawr? Did they think the micro and a&p disqualify you? Was it based on standardized test: SAT, ACT, or GRE?

This was the admissions director's response when I had a phone meeting with her:

1. They look back to high school Math and Science. (I was in honors but got about 3 C's total)
2. They look at standardized test scores such as SAT (560 math, 560 verbal, 580 writing)
3. We are hard on college seniors
4. "We like older students" (their average age is 26 years old)
5. "We look for people who are perfect in every way, and if you aren't
perfect in every way, then we don't waste our time"
6. "This is personal, but medical schools are unfairly harsh toward
BSN students". So, they don't like to put them through a program only
to have medical schools be hard on them. The medical school admissions
counselors she has spoken with told her that they are hard on nursing
students because "it is such a team approach" and they don't like to
accept them without letting them experience the career first.

She also pretty much told me that they don't read letters of recommendation unless you get invited for an interview. I wasn't set on going there and after the response I got I knew it wasn't the place for me. Glad I'm not the only one confused though! Lol

This was the admissions director's response when I had a phone meeting with her:

1. They look back to high school Math and Science. (I was in honors but got about 3 C's total)
2. They look at standardized test scores such as SAT (560 math, 560 verbal, 580 writing)
3. We are hard on college seniors
4. "We like older students" (their average age is 26 years old)
5. "We look for people who are perfect in every way, and if you aren't
perfect in every way, then we don't waste our time"
6. "This is personal, but medical schools are unfairly harsh toward
BSN students". So, they don't like to put them through a program only
to have medical schools be hard on them. The medical school admissions
counselors she has spoken with told her that they are hard on nursing
students because "it is such a team approach" and they don't like to
accept them without letting them experience the career first.

She also pretty much told me that they don't read letters of recommendation unless you get invited for an interview. I wasn't set on going there and after the response I got I knew it wasn't the place for me. Glad I'm not the only one confused though! Lol

Um, wow! I mean, really, WOW.

I don't agree that med schools are unfairly harsh toward BSN students. If that was ever true, mostly, it's old school, and not as much relevant anymore. Don't hate me b/c of undergrad major, lol. Do they hate social workers too? Give me a break.

What does "perfect in every way"mean?
I'd be like, "Please expound upon this statement."
Whatever. That response is sucky--at least the "perfect" and "BSN" parts, and I totally think it's an overpriced program and little far out to the point of being nonsensical. I guess they feel they can afford to be. Unless you are some exceptional superstar--worthy of your own "Wow" page, or you know someone with connections there, well, it seems all too easy to get passed over there--even with your stats.

But I am curious about this: How much post-grad, clinical nursing experience do you have? If you don't have a lot, go into ED or critical care, trauma, something like that. You will learn a lot and see a lot if you work in the right places. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Keep working on your other application components, and find a four year where you can get into the necessary pre-req's--or least take one course toward that end while you are looking into other PB programs. If you are really set on a formal PB program and you don't have a killer SAT or GRE score, start preparing for GRE--taking some upper level math courses. I don't care what anyone says. Math is a good thing, so long as it doesn't kill your GPA. If you think it might, take it and something lighter and find some hardcore nursing work. You'll do it. Keep plugging away!

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm also applying to Temple BCMS. I wonder how many of us there are!

3.4 cGPA / 3.50 sGPA
Econ major from top 10 school
Several years out of undergrad- did TFA and am now an assistant principal
Strong recommendations, none from physicians
Some volunteering / shadowing, but not substantial

I'm hoping to get an idea of how competitive I'd be for this program. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some insight here :)

Last edited:
I am not sure if any of us know at this point. I have yet to see a post from anyone who got an interview so far, so I think we are all stuck waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is a new program but does anyone know the acceptance rate to med schools in general after the ACMS program? not just temple.

I know this is a new program but does anyone know the acceptance rate to med schools in general after the ACMS program? not just temple.

Temple ACMS is a unique program. By going to ACMS you are essentially binded to directly matriculate into their medical school as long as you get a 3.5 in the program and have a 30 MCAT. I've read on SDN that they don't let you fill out the AMCAS app for other schools while you're in enrolled in ACMS. For me, that's a huge pro.

Um, wow! I mean, really, WOW.

I don't agree that med schools are unfairly harsh toward BSN students. If that was ever true, mostly, it's old school, and not as much relevant anymore. Don't hate me b/c of undergrad major, lol. Do they hate social workers too? Give me a break.

What does "perfect in every way"mean?
I'd be like, "Please expound upon this statement."
Whatever. That response is sucky--at least the "perfect" and "BSN" parts, and I totally think it's an overpriced program and little far out to the point of being nonsensical. I guess they feel they can afford to be. Unless you are some exceptional superstar--worthy of your own "Wow" page, or you know someone with connections there, well, it seems all too easy to get passed over there--even with your stats.

But I am curious about this: How much post-grad, clinical nursing experience do you have? If you don't have a lot, go into ED or critical care, trauma, something like that. You will learn a lot and see a lot if you work in the right places. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Keep working on your other application components, and find a four year where you can get into the necessary pre-req's--or least take one course toward that end while you are looking into other PB programs. If you are really set on a formal PB program and you don't have a killer SAT or GRE score, start preparing for GRE--taking some upper level math courses. I don't care what anyone says. Math is a good thing, so long as it doesn't kill your GPA. If you think it might, take it and something lighter and find some hardcore nursing work. You'll do it. Keep plugging away!

Good luck!

Thanks! I don't have any post grad experience. I will be graduating in May right before the program begins :eek: I know that's an issue. To me that's bigger than the other things she mentioned. But, I have tons of clinical hours from nursing school which include neuro, peds, L&D, STICU, oncology, and cardio units. Are there any other college seniors out there applying?

Thanks! I don't have any post grad experience. I will be graduating in May right before the program begins :eek: I know that's an issue. To me that's bigger than the other things she mentioned. But, I have tons of clinical hours from nursing school which include neuro, peds, L&D, STICU, oncology, and cardio units. Are there any other college seniors out there applying?

IDK, getting the actual post-grad clinical experience, especially in areas such as acute care or critical care, are very important, IMHO, given your college major. I don't know how old you are, but I would work on making the very BEST total application to get into a good PB, or for med school, making the best application through taking and scoring well in the pre-req's at a decent university. If you go to the re-applicant thread, well, you will see that it's a bit unnerving; b/c those folks are fighting to overcome their previous med school applications. It seems you really have to go beyond the extra mile on reapplication. Making the best first application, in most situations seems the wisest way to go. You have to go with what you feel is best for you though. There are no guarantees in the process. Better to put your absolute best foot forward from jump street. After that, if you still have to reapply to med school, everything should be pretty good, you'd bascially just have to find out what will make a bigger impact in your application compared with the previous application. I mean that could be healthcare work experience, missions work or Peace Corp., improved PS, stronger LORs, better MCAT, whatever. I say get as many of your ducks in a row as possible before you apply. It's expensive, time-consuming, and stressful. Make it totally worth it.

Just my two cents. Are you willing to relocate for a PB? There are a number of people worth getting insight from here that have been through the process. Dr. Midlife is one; but she never candy coats stuff for people, and that's cool--you either take it as it comes or you don't. Flanker, drizzt, and Q of Quimica can be helpful. I have benefited from their imput by reading their responses here at SDN.

Are you willing to go the route of SMP after taking the prereqs, if necessary? Not saying you should necessarily have to take that route, but until you get through physics and O.Chem, well, the other averages don't say quite as much. I mean it may be at least a couple years of time/energy/money investment to do your very best application for med school first time out. In the meantime, even though it's hard to find nursing jobs in many places nowadays, try to get a job in acute or critical care in a busy, teaching center, if possible. Remember too that a nursing position can help you try to pay for some of this.

I wish you the best. Stay strong and steady.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything from the BCMS program?

Nope. Not a peep. Luckily I've already been accepted into a program. I'm still interested in Temple, but I am not as anxious because I know I will be going somewhere in May.

Is everyone's application status "complete"? Mine still says "application received, payment verified". Tried calling admissions and they told me it was complete. Just don't want to miss the opportunity coz of a system error.

Is everyone's application status "complete"? Mine still says "application received, payment verified". Tried calling admissions and they told me it was complete. Just don't want to miss the opportunity coz of a system error.

Mine still says application received and payment verified but I received a complete email from them.

Nothing yet. My BCMS still reads app received pmt verified.

Bump! C'mon future Temple BCMS-ers, let's not give up hope. Anyone heard the good news? Anyone? Bueller...Bueller?

nope! nothing at all, YET. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!!!

So anyone hear anything yet? I just received a confirmation of a completed application a week and a half ago. Anyone know anyone who had an interview in January? February interviews? So nervous.

Are they really behind or something? I thought BCMS interviews were supposed to start in January??

We have to wait until May for ACMS.

Invited for an interview today for Feb. 22nd!!!! Anyone else going?

I got invited for an interview on the 22nd !!!! Anyone have any idea of chances of admission after having received an interview? Any idea about their interview process?

Wondering the same. I thought I read somewhere that they were very good as long as you don't screw up

So happy and excited for those who have finally heard something. Still, no news for me. I applied in November and was complete shortly thereafter. While I am still pretty anxious, I am happy to know that my wait -- good or bad -- should soon be over!

Does anyone know if the classes for BCMS are curved (I know they're at main campus so I'm assuming they're with UGs)? Just wondering how difficult a 3.5 is to get at temple compared with other non-curved post-bac programs (I.e. goucher, BM).

I am! Got a call last Wednesday after completing my app in early January. Excited and nervous! Anyone wondering I had a 3.66 UG GPA. 30 on my ACT, and graduated in 2012 so I've been working since.

Thanks!! They had a really nice day planned for us all

Hi did anyone else get a response?
I applied in late January still no answer

Just got my invitation this afternoon to interview for BCMS. Applied in early February. Can anyone who's interviewed this year give us a rundown on what to expect? Thanks.

Just got my invitation this afternoon to interview for BCMS. Applied in early February. Can anyone who's interviewed this year give us a rundown on what to expect? Thanks.

when is your interview date?

Expect about 5-7 applicants there too. First you get a talk from grace herschman, then you tour the school with current students, eat, get a financial aid talk, then interviews. They feed you. It's very welcoming and more like an orientation than interview day. They try to make you feel comfortable. The interview is just to make sure your intentions are genuine. They asked me basic questions like why medicine, why temple, what do you look for in a program, talk about your EC activities. The student asks more creative questions but it is less formal so you should be fine.

Good luck to everyone who has applied to both programs! I applied for ACMS so I know I won't hear from admissions for a little while. I just received an email this morning about my application being complete. It seems that they're more organized this year since I just sent my LORs this past Friday. So nervous!

My application was not complete unitl the end of Feb. Just wondering if anyone recieved the dreaded snail mail letter?

I also completed my application sometime at the end of February and hadn't heard anything yet...
Anyone who applied to BCMS?

I also completed my application sometime at the end of February and hadn't heard anything yet...
Anyone who applied to BCMS?
I finished mine the beginning of January (the 6th I think) and didn't hear back until February 13th for an interview the 22nd.