Temple University Clinical Campuses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone at Temple, or anyone who can give me some info...

What can you tell me about these clinical campuses? I am applying to Temple, and I am asked about my interest in these four optional sites for my rotations in years 3 & 4. All I really know about them is what I have read on their websites. It all sounds interesting, and I'm sure they are good hospitals, but what I am really looking for is contact with a diverse patient population. I want to see and get hands-on experience with serious conditions like HIV, trauma, etc.

Now I have been told that the regular Temple hospital is great for trauma. But what if I change my mind and don't want to do ER? In your opinions, what site would be best for a well-rounded education, but still plenty of "action" to keep me busy and learn a lot about a lot? I know that is a vague f***ing question, but its the best I can do. Thanks!

The sites are...

Crozer Chester Medical Center in Chester

Geisinger Health System in Danville

St. Luke's Hospital in Bethlehem

Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh

What type of hospitals are these? What is the area like? What kind of traffic do they get? Etc..
 
Moving to Pre-Allo as this is not a class issue for Allopathic medical students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
West Penn is a nice big hospital. There is also a huge Children's Hospital being completed right next to it and I'm sure will give opportunity to work there as well.

For anyone at Temple, or anyone who can give me some info...


The sites are...

Crozer Chester Medical Center in Chester

Geisinger Health System in Danville

St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem

Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh

What type of hospitals are these? What is the area like? What kind of traffic do they get? Etc..
 
West Penn is a nice big hospital. There is also a huge Children's Hospital being completed right next to it and I'm sure will give opportunity to work there as well.
Seconding that West Penn is nice and well-respected. It's worth a look at the website, anyway...
 
If I had to pick I would go with west penn (level 1 trauma from what I remember) but I ended up choosing none of the above. Id rather stay at temple if they take me.
 
I spent about 1/2 a year at St Lukes a few years ago (things may have changed). But I did surgery, ER, OB there. All the rotations were excellent. Great attendings. I did trauma as part of my surgery rotation and they do get some good trauma cases (mostly blunt but occasional penetrating). Not as many cases as temple but you would probably get more hands on attention and teaching given the less hectic service.

They have dorms that you can stay at or you could commute if you live in northern part of philly or burbs. Commuted for ER but stayed in the dorm for OB/surgery given the early start times.

I know people that went to west penn and crozer and no one had any major complaints. Unless they have increased the spots at temple, you are likely to have to do at least a couple rotations at an outside institution. Most of the people that lock themselves into west penn for example are people with family in that area.

hope that helps.