Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauRDH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This newly instilled program is rather exciting! Apps are due no later than May 1, 2015 for the inaugural class. Has anyone applied and/or heard back about an interview yet? Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied! I am hoping for some more details about the program! DO you know anything in terms of the application process?

@rdd215 Just whatever is on the website. I've been calling a few times a week with questions I've had, and I can tell you a few things: there's no set schedule as of yet (but all the courses are listed on the site), this week they are starting to give out interview invites, and they are interviewing next week. Have you applied to their dental school? If so the application process is a little different. There are explicit instructions on the web page. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
@rdd215 Just whatever is on the website. I've been calling a few times a week with questions I've had, and I can tell you a few things: there's no set schedule as of yet (but all the courses are listed on the site), this week they are starting to give out interview invites, and they are interviewing next week. Have you applied to their dental school? If so the application process is a little different. There are explicit instructions on the web page. Best of luck!
I have applied to their dental school! It seemed like all I had to do was send them my application and a check? Am i missing something??

I have applied to their dental school! It seemed like all I had to do was send them my application and a check? Am i missing something??
Too easy, huh? Well I did the same and called to double check that that indeed was all that needed to be done. So I think we're good!!

I have also applied to the same program after being rejected from their dental school. I hope they are able to give me a chance now. Do you guys mind sharing your stats?

@DocGrey Sure. OGPA: 3.0 sGPA 2.9, DAT: AA19, TS19, ochem 22, rc23, gchem 18, bio 18, pat 18, qr 17... dental hygienist for almost 10 years... Local anesthesia license for 6. This program is my last hope!

I have also applied to the same program after being rejected from their dental school. I hope they are able to give me a chance now. Do you guys mind sharing your stats?

GPA: 3.03 sGPA: 2.8 DAT: AA19 (all science are 19, math 20, PAT and reading 21) Graduating this may so I just have shadowing and volunteering hours!

Just got off the phone with Terry from the dental school's admissions office. A few things have changed: there will be no interviews and students should begin hearing about acceptances after May 1. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Just got off the phone with Terry from the dental school's admissions office. A few things have changed: there will be no interviews and students should begin hearing about acceptances after May 1. Hope this helps. Good luck!
It is kind of annoying that we hear back so late because the program starts June 1st! How can students get housing and re-locate in such a short notice! That is pretty frustrating..

It is kind of annoying that we hear back so late because the program starts June 1st! How can students get housing and re-locate in such a short notice! That is pretty frustrating..
I totally agree. Honestly I'm pretty sure this program wasn't supposed to start this year but with a new associate dean, I believe it was pushed ahead. It's actually not too difficult to find housing in the area. What is more difficult is finding the $40,000! Visit temple.edu and search housing there. That should provide you with multiple resources.

How beneficial would this program even be since its their 1st year and its not even a direct linkage. I'm a little confused what type of guarantee is provided for $40,000? Terry said you don't get a interview or direct acceptance so what do they even do if you get the 3.5 and have 20 or more on DAT?

How beneficial would this program even be since its their 1st year and its not even a direct linkage. I'm a little confused what type of guarantee is provided for $40,000? Terry said you don't get a interview or direct acceptance so what do they even do if you get the 3.5 and have 20 or more on DAT?
You do get an interview, 200 hours of direct clinical exposure, and honestly in all of my research, I haven't found a program like this. These courses are very similar to those that I've had in dental hygiene school, so I'm assuming they're going to be closely related to what we can expect in dental school. The price is a bit outrageous. In comparison to PCOM is nearly twice as expensive. But since I've been declined- without an interview invite- I'll take an acceptance to Temple's post-bac over PCOM for a guaranteed interview (in accordance with the requirements of 20 DAT and 3.5 GPA).

Members don't see this ad :)
what i dont get is...if you get into the post bacc and do the 1 year program do you get accepted for matriculation in 2016 or do you have to reapply? it doesn't really make sense. they say you'll gain pre-admission but is that for 2016 or 2017? to gain matriculation for next year we have to apply THIS summer. doesnt make sense.

has anyone heard anything from admissions yet??

I applied for this program 2 weeks ago, and I received my acceptance yesterday.

I applied for this program 2 weeks ago, and I received my acceptance yesterday.
Congrats! I also applied around that time but just received an email recently that my application is now processed and should be hearing back from them soon. When was your application processed? And would you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks! I received the application processed email on Thursday at like 8 pm est, and then received the acceptance email yesterday around noon.

As for my stats, oGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.1 22AA, 21TS, 23PAT, 22ochem, 20gchem, 20bio, 20rc and 30qr

Good luck to you!

Did anyone else hear back from admissions?

I just called admissions and they said we should hear back within the next 2 weeks.

I did my undergrad at the University of Maryland, and I'm from the Maryland area.

Hey have you heard anything yet?

Did anyone get their check(app fee) withdrawn but not heard back from the admissions yet???

I received admission the same time as @jovu517. Our deposits are due tomorrow, May 1st. Guessing this was the first round of acceptances..unless the other 38 students don't use SDN, I'm sure we'll hear more acceptances soon.

I received admission the same time as @jovu517. Our deposits are due tomorrow, May 1st. Guessing this was the first round of acceptances..unless the other 38 students don't use SDN, I'm sure we'll hear more acceptances soon.
Are you saying that they are only taking 40 students?? And how much was the deposit? Also was your app fee withdrawn before you got accepted??

Yeah, it's the inaugural year so 30-40. Think that's what it says on the website too.
Deposit is a hefty 5K. Think they'll start letting more people know. After all, the deadline for applying was May 1st anyway...

Yeah, it's the inaugural year so 30-40. Think that's what it says on the website too.
Deposit is a hefty 5K. Think they'll start letting more people know. After all, the deadline for applying was May 1st anyway...
Thank you for the reply. 5K deposit is alot, how long did they give you to think about?? My app fee was withdrawn yesterday so I am expecting to hear back from them soon. Hope its a good one.

Not long. A week actually. They're new to the game and I think you have to put that into consideration. They can seem a bit disorganized and flustered but their conditional acceptance is legitimate..much like the Post-Bacc for Temple Medicine.

Did anyone get their check(app fee) withdrawn but not heard back from the admissions yet???
Did you receive a conformation email saying your app has been submitted? And are you a previous applicant to the dental school?

Last edited:
Did you receive a conformation email saying your app has been submitted? And we're you a previous applicant to the dental school?
Yes, I received that confirmation e-mail last Thursday and did apply to the dental school previously.

what were your stats?

Did you get any updates???
I called the school yesterday because I never received a conformation email and my application was submitted the first week of April (in person). She said I should have recieved one so I was freaking out inside why I never got that conformation email. She let me know my application has been submitted to review and I should be hearing back soon. I am just trying to be patient at this point. They have alot on their plate being a new program and what not. *fingers crossed*

Any updates on your end of things?

I called the school yesterday because I never received a conformation email and my application was submitted the first week of April (in person). She said I should have recieved one so I was freaking out inside why I never got that conformation email. She let me know my application has been submitted to review and I should be hearing back soon. I am just trying to be patient at this point. They have alot on their plate being a new program and what not. *fingers crossed*

Any updates on your end of things?
I guess we are on the same boat. My application was submitted in the first week of April as well. But didn't hear a thing from them until last Thursday. And app fee was withdrawn on 29th. Maybe they are finally reviewing our apps.

Accepted! 3.1 GPA and 19 AA. From greater Philadelphia area.

So I called Pitt dental this afternoon and asked them if they have heard about this program and what their thoughts were about it. Pitt dental didn't even know it existed. I would obviously LOVE to go to temple dental and I do believe this program will help those chances. In the event that I don't get into temple, I am just wondering if this program will have a significant positive weight on my application?

What do you guys think?

Srmed, congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats?

So I called Pitt dental this afternoon and asked them if they have heard about this program and what their thoughts were about it. Pitt dental didn't even know it existed. I would obviously LOVE to go to temple dental and I do believe this program will help those chances. In the event that I don't get into temple, I am just wondering if this program will have a significant positive weight on my application?

What do you guys think?

That's a good question. It makes you wonder if a Masters in Biomedical Science or something like that will look better in the eyes of a variety of dental schools Whereas this program looks good mainly to Temple Dental. I think it's a great opportunity and I think that the curriculum is looks good in the grand scheme of things even to other dental schools that have yet to hear about the temple program. The classes are dental related rather than just being upper level sciences.

I haven't even gotten a confirmation that they received my application and I sent in a money order rather than a check.

That's a good question. It makes you wonder if a Masters in Biomedical Science or something like that will look better in the eyes of a variety of dental schools Whereas this program looks good mainly to Temple Dental. I think it's a great opportunity and I think that the curriculum is looks good in the grand scheme of things even to other dental schools that have yet to hear about the temple program. The classes are dental related rather than just being upper level sciences.

More importantly, does the program offer dental classes taken with 1st year dental students. This is more important than some upper division science courses.