Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are you guys paying tuition??

Do you guys have good suggestion for places to stay around temple? I live in Connecticut and I am not too sure about apartments near temple!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys have good suggestion for places to stay around temple? I live in Connecticut and I am not too sure about apartments near temple!
The lady that is in charge of the program will send you an email soon about housing! I just got an email this afternoon and its a comprehensive list!

Hey thanks! Does she send you all the needed forms as well?

So I have to send my deposit in by friday but I still am not totally convinced by this program. It seems like there was definitely a pre-screening for the people who could even apply and based on the people who have commented on this forum, the DAT scores were generally pretty good (19+). The conditional acceptance is actually what is concerning to me. If students get a 3.5 GPA and a 20 DAT (which I think most students applying have), they get an automatic spot in the dental school. This makes me think that it is going to be difficult to attain that 3.5 ? If even half of our class maintains a 3.5, they are going to be into the program... Temple's class size is small so I'm just a little worried that this program might be harder than we are hoping to maintain a high GPA.

I am really worried about it too. But looking at this being my best shot I am probably going to take there offer. I just talked to the director of the program and she said that if show good professional behavior and also maintain the GPA then we will be able to make it to dental school

Hey guys! I was just accepted into the program. Can't say I'm not nervous considering I'm from NJ and am not familiar with Philly at all! Do you guys want to start a FB page so the accepted students can get to know each other?

Reactions: 1 user
I am really worried about it too. But looking at this being my best shot I am probably going to take there offer. I just talked to the director of the program and she said that if show good professional behavior and also maintain the GPA then we will be able to make it to dental school

Make it into their guaranteed program? Or if you apply out of the program?

Hey guys! I was just accepted into the program. Can't say I'm not nervous considering I'm from NJ and am not familiar with Philly at all! Do you guys want to start a FB page so the accepted students can get to know each other?
Great idea. I think they sent us an email with a link to a FB page except I'm pretty sure it was a spam link because my computer shut down as soon as I opened it...

Do you mind sharing your stats since you've been accepted? Thanks!

Great idea. I think they sent us an email with a link to a FB page except I'm pretty sure it was a spam link because my computer shut down as soon as I opened it...

Do you mind sharing your stats since you've been accepted? Thanks!
Not at all! I have a 3.2 cGPA and 22 AA DAT. Also, I didn't receive a link for that page!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was the deadline for the application 5/1?

The classes on the website seem to the classes one would take if s/he were pursuing a masters in oral biology at temple. So master level classes as post-bacc do seem difficult. But I suppose thats a good thing too. I talked to someone who did the ACMS (Temple Medical Post-bacc) and she said the classes were on par with her undergrad classes (in terms of difficulty).

Do you know if the
The classes on the website seem to the classes one would take if s/he were pursuing a masters in oral biology at temple. So master level classes as post-bacc do seem difficult. But I suppose thats a good thing too. I talked to someone who did the ACMS (Temple Medical Post-bacc) and she said the classes were on par with her undergrad classes (in terms of difficulty).
Classes will be held on the main campus or further north at the dental school?

I will be declining my acceptance to this program. I hope it opens up a seat for someone else! Good luck to those starting in June.

Who else is declining??? And why?

Do you know if the

Classes will be held on the main campus or further north at the dental school?

Not sure about this but considering its a program sponsored by Temple Kornberg I feel like it should be at the dental school. I wish we'd receive some more information regarding schedule/classes but i guess we'll receive them in no time.

Who else is declining??? And why?

I was debating between this program and a 1-year masters program. This program just seems like a gamble because we literally don't know anything about the outcomes of the program. Additionally, it is a post-bacc so you don't get anything out of it compared to a masters degree. I was VERY disappointed with the lack of communication on Temple's end. I had a lot of questions about the program and for two straight days I was unable to get ahold of Terry (who is in charge of the program). Considering we have to start in 3 weeks, I was hoping for better communication or someone to answer my questions.

Additionally, the day I got the acceptance, I was able to get in touch with Terry and she told me these courses do not qualify for the BIO/CHEM courses so they will not be factored into the science GPA... I need a boost in the science GPA so this program just didn't sound appealing.

I think I would have attended the program if I did not get into the masters program. However, the masters programs seem like a better choice for me at this point.

I was debating between this program and a 1-year masters program. This program just seems like a gamble because we literally don't know anything about the outcomes of the program. Additionally, it is a post-bacc so you don't get anything out of it compared to a masters degree. I was VERY disappointed with the lack of communication on Temple's end. I had a lot of questions about the program and for two straight days I was unable to get ahold of Terry (who is in charge of the program). Considering we have to start in 3 weeks, I was hoping for better communication or someone to answer my questions.

Additionally, the day I got the acceptance, I was able to get in touch with Terry and she told me these courses do not qualify for the BIO/CHEM courses so they will not be factored into the science GPA... I need a boost in the science GPA so this program just didn't sound appealing.

I think I would have attended the program if I did not get into the masters program. However, the masters programs seem like a better choice for me at this point.

what masters program are you doing if you're not going for this post-bac? I am starting my masters in Barry next week so wondering where else people are going for masters.

what masters program are you doing if you're not going for this post-bac? I am starting my masters in Barry next week so wondering where else people are going for masters.
I will be getting my masters in biomedical sciences at the Commonwealth Medical College (in Scranton, PA).

@rdd215 Good luck! I agree with you that Temple has been slow on getting back to people. But I've actually been able to talk to Terry and the Dean for 30 minutes on end selling me the program. I think this post-bacc, for its cost and conditions, is only worth it IF you are 100% interested in attending Temple Dental. If you weren't, then you would have to apply elsewhere after the program ends and wait another "glide" year. Of course, if you apply this June, you have the option of getting accepted elsewhere for 2016 too.

All in all, I believe in this program and there's too much on the line for them to sell this program short and not be accommodating. Good luck w/ all your decisions!

What Masters program are you doing at Barry? I have applied to the Biomedical Science degree program but it doesn't start until the fall.

Hey, just got my acceptance a few days ago. Do classes start June 1st, and has anyone received their schedule yet? From the website information, seems like first 3 months or so are dental assisting.

What Masters program are you doing at Barry? I have applied to the Biomedical Science degree program but it doesn't start until the fall.

yeah same thing BMS but I am starting in summer instead of Fall.

does anyone know anything on our schedule yet? or any info on our classes?

Hey guys. Sorry I was on vacation!! Got accepted right before I left and had two days to send the $5K. I'm so excited to start the program and can't wait to meet everyone!!!

does anyone know anything on our schedule yet? or any info on our classes?
First ten weeks are scheduled. That was sent in an email... And also the classes are in the dental school.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Terry from the dental school's admissions office. A few things have changed: there will be no interviews and students should begin hearing about acceptances after May 1. Hope this helps. Good luck!
When does the program start? June 2015 or 2016?

Hey guys. Sorry I was on vacation!! Got accepted right before I left and had two days to send the $5K. I'm so excited to start the program and can't wait to meet everyone!!!
Congrats! I'm still waiting to hear back. I hope I get mine soon.

Hey just wondering when you might have applied to the program... I applied April 23rd and terry also told me my money order was processed on Thursday, May 14th. But now it's the 18th and I still have not heard back and I'm getting nervous. I haven't applied to dental school before so I applied through a hard copy application and had to send in a personal statement and money order. I know some people on here are submitting deposits within two days, which makes me think they can notify me last minute. Does anyone know if they're still taking people?

Hey just wondering when you might have applied to the program... I applied April 23rd and terry also told me my money order was processed on Thursday, May 14th. But now it's the 18th and I still have not heard back and I'm getting nervous. I haven't applied to dental school before so I applied through a hard copy application and had to send in a personal statement and money order. I know some people on here are submitting deposits within two days, which makes me think they can notify me last minute. Does anyone know if they're still taking people?
I applied the day the program was official. I want to say early April but I'm not 100% sure since I have applied to other programs as well. I know they accepted 28 people as of May 1, and the minimum is 30- so that means nothing about the maximum lol. Best of luck and keep calling Terry. She's a great help

I applied the day the program was official. I want to say early April but I'm not 100% sure since I have applied to other programs as well. I know they accepted 28 people as of May 1, and the minimum is 30- so that means nothing about the maximum lol. Best of luck and keep calling Terry. She's a great help

They already accepted 28 people?!??! Terry even told me that they weren't going to start reviewing people until May 15th. I guess not...
Anyways thanks for the feedback. I don't think they're going to be accepting anymore people this late in the game

They already accepted 28 people?!??! Terry even told me that they weren't going to start reviewing people until May 15th. I guess not...
Anyways thanks for the feedback. I don't think they're going to be accepting anymore people this late in the game
Well they were once supposed to be conducting interviews and that changed as well. You never know! Keep your fingers crossed because I'm sure some people will turn down acceptances due to the steep cost.

I think they finally got around to creating a standard rejection email and sent those out today. I got one myself but I am not upset. I decided to go with a masters program hoping it will look better to a larger variety of dental schools rather than a post-bacc linked to a specific dental school. I think the people accepted into this program had stats that fell ever so short from being accepted into dental school whereas my GPA probably needs a bit more TLC. Good luck to all of those who have been accepted! Work hard and reap the benefits afterwards.

Well they were once supposed to be conducting interviews and that changed as well. You never know! Keep your fingers crossed because I'm sure some people will turn down acceptances due to the steep cost
I think they finally got around to creating a standard rejection email and sent those out today. I got one myself but I am not upset. I decided to go with a masters program hoping it will look better to a larger variety of dental schools rather than a post-bacc linked to a specific dental school. I think the people accepted into this program had stats that fell ever so short from being accepted into dental school whereas my GPA probably needs a bit more TLC. Good luck to all of those who have been accepted! Work hard and reap the benefits afterwards.
im sorry to hear that, but congrats on the masters program! Temple was and always will be my first choice. Philly born and raised! Plus I have a family and relocating would be annoying. Best of luck to you!!!

im sorry to hear that, but congrats on the masters program! Temple was and always will be my first choice. Philly born and raised! Plus I have a family and relocating would be annoying. Best of luck to you!!![/QUOTE]
Where did you do your undergrad if you don't mind me asking? I graduated from Temple University. I am also a Philly native (Go Eagles! LOL) but I am ready to see other places.

im sorry to hear that, but congrats on the masters program! Temple was and always will be my first choice. Philly born and raised! Plus I have a family and relocating would be annoying. Best of luck to you!!!
Where did you do your undergrad if you don't mind me asking? I graduated from Temple University. I am also a Philly native (Go Eagles! LOL) but I am ready to see other places.[/QUOTE]
Hygiene school manor college in Jenkintown, undergrad at Temple!! #Flyers hahah

gosh dang it. I wish I knew about this program before. Hopefully Rutgers dental scholars program will be just as successful. Good luck to all of you going here!

Last edited:
This program seems too good to be true. I currently have a ogpa 3.4, sgpa 3.1 and have yet to take my DAT. I have already started to look into masters programs vs post bacs. Temple's post bac sounds amazing though being from around Philadelphia. How do they weight the cumulative gpa after the program is completed? Do they take your gpa from undergrad? Or is it just from the post bac courses?

This program seems too good to be true. I currently have a ogpa 3.4, sgpa 3.1 and have yet to take my DAT. I have already started to look into masters programs vs post bacs. Temple's post bac sounds amazing though being from around Philadelphia. How do they weight the cumulative gpa after the program is completed? Do they take your gpa from undergrad? Or is it just from the post bac courses?
I'm currently in the program and they are looking at the GPA of the postbac program. Program is very beneficial.

Last edited: